This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police guidance on transporting RIF/IFs

As was mentioned on a thread some time ago, I've written to the Association of Chief Police Officers in an attempt to clarify the situation regarding the transport of our guns to and from games etc.

Basically, they suggest that we carry our proof of defence (either site membership cards, UKARA form or some form of site-stamped log book), contact details for the site and printed confirmation of a booking (or a printout showing that the site does walk-ons).

As they have said, the question of whether we would be arrested for having an imitation firearm in public (under the Firearms act 1968), would depend on us proving to the officer who stops us that we are genuine skirmishers with a valid reason for transporting the guns at that moment in time. Prove that we are on the way to a game (or a shop, or a private sale etc etc) and we will be OK, fail to prove it and we will be arrested. Even if arrested, prosecution would be unlikely if we could prove that we were genuine, but just couldn't prove it at the side of the road.

They don't see much point in some form of card that you can show to the officer who stops you, unless English is not your first language and they may not understand you, but personally I'll still carry something in writing explaining what I have with me (and why) to use if I feel the officer may miss-hear me due to traffic noise.

Equally, they don't see the point in carrying any form of proof of the relevant legislation, but I believe the ACPO/Gun Trade Association or ACPO/BASC leaflets explain the skirmishing defence very well and, considering that even my local force's firearms licencing team hadn't heard of the skirmishing defence when I called them, I want to make sure I can convince them that I'm not a chav on the way to shoot up some kids birthday party.

Finally, they emphasis that the defence under VCRA is not a get out of jail free card in relation to the Firearms act. If we don't have a legitimate reason to have our guns with us, we will be prosecuted.

Scans of the letter are below. Please feel free to print them for your own use.

sigpic

Re: Police guidance on transporting RIF/IFs

Thanks for this matey!

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Robin , thank you very much ,

now my own law suit can continue for the seizure of my guns and gear which took 7 month to recieve back ..

thank you ,

and i did email and write to ask but no reply ,

again , robin thank you

Guard

Comment

Humn if I get cough I dont really have any documentation or paper work to show at all. I only have UKA number )Also I am a member of my ex local site dont give out membership card at all.
        I will shoot you all.

Comment

Originally posted by airsoft-warriors88 View Post
          Humn if I get cough I dont really have any documentation or paper work to show at all. I only have UKA number )Also I am a member of my ex local site dont give out membership card at all.
          The site must have a UKARA stamp if they are a registered site. Type a letter stating that you're a member and ask them to stamp it next visit.
          sigpic

Comment

hey robin,I had a letter from my site when they given me my membership number. However I had to sent that letter to a retailer in order for them to put my name on UKA database,since then I dont have any other paper work.
            I will shoot you all.

Comment

Ive never had an issue in about 4 years softing

What happened with you Guard?

From what i can see, as long as youve got a legitimate reason for having your rifles etc on ya, then no problem. As the chap has said, the police have the information readily available should the police officer inspecting have any queries.

Moral of it is...dont have your rifles in the car when you shouldnt do
              Last edited by westywesty84; 30 April, 2010, 19:43. Reason: Spelling
              Originally posted by Artekus
              It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

Well done! +1

Comment

well done and maybe this should be stickied?
                  Originally posted by parky
                  If you're looking for a good sniper, I hear Vassily Zaitsev is good this time of year.

It's sniper RIFLE.

What do they teach these 19 year olds these days...

Comment

As much as an entire thread of thank you' s may become a little tiresome, I think it would be entirely justified.

So, thank you for putting some time and effort in to clarifying this.
                    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
                    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Genista View Post
                      As much as an entire thread of thank you' s may become a little tiresome, I think it would be entirely justified.

So, thank you for putting some time and effort in to clarifying this.
                      I'm still doing it also

cheers robin
                      TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

a sticky of this would be a good ide,
                        cheers robin
                        back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

I'm going to weigh in with a thanks also. I've only been stopped once, and it was only for five minutes, but with my loadouts becoming lighter and more realistic (SA80, Glocks, that kinda thing) as opposed to a whacking great AUG in the rifle bag, I can see it happening again.

Additional tip: if you are stopped, just be sensible, answer any questions calmly and politely, and don't get bitchy. Doesn't help in normal circumstances, certainly won't with the police! Also, let them know what you're carrying straight away and that you are able to carry it. Saves errors of judgement later.
                          Altus Volo Mugio Extraho

Comment

Just out of interest what kind of defence would someone like myself be able to give as i got my guns pre-vcra and as we mostly play on private land so dont really have much of an attendance record at skirmish sites (no UKARA)

Would it be sensible to carry my shotgun certificate to prove im not a chav on my way to shoot up the local playpark?
                            Roses are red,
                            Violets are blue,
                            In soviet russia,
                            Poem reads you!

Comment

I would say yes just to prove as you say not a chav on private land Iam sure you should be ok.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                              Working...
                              X