Airsoft Innovations Tornado BB Grenade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airsoft Innovations Tornado BB Grenade

After reading all the reviews and watching all the videos on the net I decided to purchase the Tornado Grenade ( £80 ), arrived through the post yesterday.

1st impression was that it feels small for a grenade but how big do you need it. In the box was the Grenade, Pin, Reset Key and Instructions.

Features:

Propane powered! Can be configured for HFC134a too.
    Completely re-useable. Just reload BB’s and gas!
    Blasts 200 x 6mm BBs. Full 3D coverage. Not a shotgun blast or a disc distribution. A full spherical scatter!
    Consistent 3s timer!
    Tough design survives gazillions of throws!
    No loose parts to lose. Keep track of the pull pin though.
    Easy to quickly render safe for safe zone handling.

After reading the instructions & loading for the first time, placing the Pin on the 3-5sec slot. Test time. ( Loading instructions must be followed verbatum otherwise it doesn't work )

Pulled pin and threw, waited for what seemed for ever ( 8sec ) then bang, large smiles then appeared all round. Timing issue was caused by gassing & using not letting it warm for 5 minutes before use, on further tests with a warm up after gassing the timer was consistent around 6 seconds but this does depend on the ambient air temperature.
    There is a second option on the timing, a 1.5 second airburst mode, this has to be used when the grenade is warm for the timing to be consistent. Airburst mode tests were inconsistent, field tests should give better results.

BB coverage was very good considering it has a max power of 140fps on the last lot of BBs exiting the grenade, effective range is only about 8 meters but in the CQB mode it’s awesome, doesn’t hurt when you get hit but you do know you’ve been got. Reloading takes about 4 minutes. After every two fills AI oil must be added to the gas when filling, this ensures the seals remain in tip top condition.

Other parts available:

AI Spoon Kit

Replicates the functionality of a real steel grenade spoon.
    Full metal, reusable steel spoon.
    Timer starts once the spoon is disengaged.

Distraction Device Kit

Completely re-useable. Just reload gas and change a low cost burst disc.
    Loud! 110 -120 dB.
    Offers interesting game possibilities e.g. doesn't frag your hostage scenarios.
    Completely reversible installation. Swap back and forth between fragmentation and DD configuration.
    One glance and you can tell if your grenade is configured for DD or frag.

A full field test takes place on Sunday, I’ll add more info after that, but I don’t think it’ll disappoint.
    Current Weapons-
    ICS M4 CQC EOTECH 551 EOLAD
    TM P90 Upgraded
    TM VSR-10 G SPEC Laylax internals & 3.5-10 x 40 M4 Sight
    TM Glock 26 Advance - TM Glock 17
    TM MP5K upgraded sniper backup

Re: Airsoft Innovations Tornado BB Grenade

Ive looked at these but been scared about losing things
    is it easy to buy replacement pieces?

Tonk
    Contrary To Popular Belief, Owning A M4 DOES Make Your Penis Larger

Comment

Am I right in saying this is not classed as a pyro?

Comment

nice review...good to see someone else has had experience,and also good to see other accessories available...check out the first post for the tornado from march 2009
        http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3342
        VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
        trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

I'd like to know how loud the distraction kit is.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Blockage View Post
            Loud! 110 -120 dB.
            See post

Comment

they are not classed as pyro as they uses regular gun gas!

Comment

GZ Woodland test day for the grenade.

After buying a bottle of Green Gas from the shop & charging the grenade it was time for Team Delta to go on the hunt, hidden in a perfect position along came four Bravos, time for it's 1st deployment.
                Got in a good throwing position and pulled the pin..... what happened next was unexpected, following a load pop the grenade showered me in BB's much to the delight of the bravos. Off to the dead zone I went to recharge and try again. Time done 2nd attempt to kill the enemy. Pulled the pin and I think you can guess the rest, killed myself again.

Once again off to the dead zone this time with a nice gas burn on my thumb.

What went wrong? After about 5 more goes I'd sussed out what was going wrong. After following the recharging instructions verbatum & stowing the grenade in my pouch it came time to deploy it, but before doing so I pulled the timing plug out of the top of the grenade and then replaced it, deployed the grenade and hey presto it worked 1st time.

What was happening after charging and stowing, was the grenade has time to warm up internally this causes a pressure inbalance in the timing chamber at the top of the grenade, this needs to be removed before the timing device will work correctly, just pull the plug out the resit it and deploy.

After I'd got the grenade to deploy correctly I tried the DD Distraction Device, this put the smile back on my face after a depressing morning. It worked like a charm just as loud as the blank firing grenades being thrown about. Well happy

Is it worth the £80, a definitive YES, the construction is brillant, easy to use (when you get it right) does better than what it says on the box.
                Current Weapons-
                TM P90 Upgraded

Comment

Hi bud, i think it was me & Gadget that you nearly blew up... then being the nice Bravo's that we are came to render first aid if needed.. and yes it did make us chuckle... Fiss, pop,, ARRGH.. just what should happen to you sneaky grenade throwing Deltas!

Glad you got it sorted in the end as im tempted by some of their new stuff, have a look here if you havnt seen their news yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncPQ4...e=channel_page

Also whoever the Deltas were throwing Dynatech grenades into the dug out in firebase charlie.. good job... HOW many kills for 1 grenade... LMFAO!!
                  We even told them to get out of the pit and take better cover but NOOO! noobs... will they ever learn?
                  Hope your hand feels better bud
                  Al

Comment

Those new accessory packs look fantastic!

Bouncing bettys!

Comment

Thx for the offer of 1st aid, wouldn't have happened, had you not been a regular & a proper sprortsman. Nice to know there still out there.

As for the video, I want 10 now, bounding fragmentation device how cool is that, puts a whole new dimension on the game, just wonder how much it's gonna cost.
                      Current Weapons-
                      TM P90 Upgraded

Comment

Thats ok mate!
                        Yea the bouncing bettys look amazing, also the launchable 40mm projectile... dribble dribble... thats enough to make me buy a launcher.. ME WANT!
                        Al

Comment

guys iv got a problem with my tornado grenade.
                          when i pull the pin and throw it when it goes bang the valve(the bottom thing) blows off and no bb's are discharged. am i puting to much gas in? or something
                          would appricate the help
                          thanks
                          fabio
                          Originally posted by FireKnife
                          Firing a MAC-11 is like a guy with premature ejaculation having sex with a stunning and filthy woman.

So much win but over way to quickly.

Comment

its hard to tell without looking at it,AI website has some very usefull videos for problem solving, and maintenance..your best bet is to check them first and see if they have any info
                            VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                            trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

after recieving a reply from ai iv sorted the grenade.
                              basically the metal tube under the outside plastic was out of place. this was causing the valve not to be able to screw on properly, this is why the valve kept flying off.
                              just tryed it and it works fine now. but i shouldnt of tryed it in my bedroom iv got 100+ bb's on the floor i need to pick up now :D.
                              Originally posted by FireKnife
                              Firing a MAC-11 is like a guy with premature ejaculation having sex with a stunning and filthy woman.

So much win but over way to quickly.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SGT Blockage Find out more about SGT Blockage
                              Working...
                              X