Inokatsu SIG Sauer P226

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inokatsu SIG Sauer P226

I decided to write this very lengthy review of my new pistol because of the paucity of information available about it elsewhere on the internet, especially in English. In addition, the unusual purchasing methods required and my lengthy correspondence during them have thrown up some information that is not available elsewhere at all. I hope that it may prove useful to any other owners or prospective purchasers of this already rare gun.

Full Disclosure: This is only my second gas blowback airsoft pistol, and I have had at time of writing only limited shooting experience (a few hundred rounds) with it. This is intended as a technical exposition as much as a review; I will follow it up with skirmish reports if people are interested. All images are click-through for higher resolution, and some references are taken from the SIG Sauer Owner's Manual.

The SIG Sauer P226

The P226 doesn’t really need an introduction, so in brief; designed for the 1984 US Armed Services XM9 Service Pistol Trials, the real gun is a full-size service pistol and an original ‘Wonder Nine’. Typical examples are DA/SA and chamber 9x19mm Parabellum rounds from a double-stack 15-18rd magazine. Only the P226 and the Beretta 92F successfully completed the tests, with the SIG losing the M9 contract on financial rather than technical grounds. Original P226s were DA/SA, had an aluminium-alloy frame, a folded and pinned steel slide, and were fed by 15-rnd magazines.

The Genesis of the Inokatsu Replica

Inokatsu’s replica of the P226 is based on Tokyo Marui’s own, and the two share near-total parts commonality as a result. The pistol modelled is a post-1998 version, with modified trigger-bar spring and correspondingly updated grips, and a milled stainless-steel slide mounted on an aluminium-alloy frame. The original announced release was for a limited release of 100 slide kits, which replaced Marui parts P226-1, -2, and -4 with a CNC-milled stainless-steel slide and CNC-milled steel front and rear sights. The trademarks were correct and licensed to Inokatsu by the holder, Cybergun. Note that the front sight is dovetailed in (as per the real P226) as opposed to Marui's drop-in, and the slide also features a separate extractor, as opposed to the Marui's moulded-in imitation. In addition, it replaced part P226-18 with a CNC-milled steel outer barrel. This is, so far as I am aware, the first stainless-steel slide on an airsoft gun actually made out of stainless steel, and (obviously) the first P226 to correctly replicate the milled stainless slide, steel barrel and aluminium frame of the real SIG Sauer.

Original Inokatsu adverts (2011) for the P226 slide kit. The left gun sports a non-railed frame with all-engraved markings, as opposed to the production railed frame with part
    stamped and part engraved markings. The right gun has a railed frame but a different (slotted) mag release button, as opposed to the production cross-hatched design.

Shortly thereafter Inokatsu began to advertise 100 P226-02 steel accessory parts kits, replacing Marui parts P226-46, -60, -66, -57, -58 and -30 with CNC-milled steel replacements - respectively, the trigger, takedown lever, magazine catch, support plate and hammer. Note that the support plate replacing P226-58 omits screw -57 and is secured solely by the handgrip.

Not advertised at all was the fact that Inokatsu were also soliciting orders for complete pistols, with Inokatsu-specific CNC-milled aluminium-alloy frames to suit the advertised parts kits.

Tokyo Marui P226 Parts Diagrams

For reference;

The Ordering Process

Ordinarily there would be no need to specify something as mundane as the process of ordering and paying for an airsoft pistol; Inokatsu's guns are ordinarily sold exclusively by a well-known Hong Kong-based airsoft shop. However, as a limited-edition special, the P226 was sold directly by Inokatsu themselves, upon application for VIP status on their site. A little over a week after my request, I received an e-mail offering me all the possible permutations of parts - the P226-01 (slide) could be had in raw stainless steel or painted black, and the previously unannounced railed frame could also be had in black or silver, though the barrel and P226-02 parts kits were only available in black. The person contacting me appeared to be an agent rather than employee, speaking of Inokatsu in the third person and waiting for parts deliveries from them, and the PayPal payment I made was not to an account obviously linked to Inokatsu. Understandably, the thought of handing over in excess of $1300 to a total stranger was rather nerve-wracking, but with photos supplied I felt confident enough to place my order and pay. This faith was repaid with excellent communication, though somewhat spotty performance. On the positive side, I was forewarned that Inokatsu were late in delivering a fake trigger sear pin and that it would be sent separately. I was not expecting that my $1300 gun would be shipped in an inside-out KJW P226 box in a single layer of bubblewrap and lacking the WE/KJW magazine that was supposed to accompany it. Despite this, the pistol arrived very promptly and unharmed.

Skipping ahead somewhat, I was later informed by this agent that Inokatsu had managed to sell only about 50 of the complete, assembled pistols, of which number 80 (mine, serial UU00080) was the last. The remainder of the unassembled parts kits were sold to the licensing body, Cybergun Hong Kong, who are retailing them unassembled after adding $10 each to the prices of the frames and parts kits. As of 30/03/12, all parts except the silver lower frame were available; please PM me if you'd like the relevant contact e-mail address.

Gallery

Please note that at this stage the pistol lacks both the extant trigger sear pin and a front sight, which I have not bothered fitting as I will shortly be replacing both sights with Trijicon's Bright & Tough Night Sights. Included with the pistol was a second hammer, described by the agent as a spare - but it is slightly different from the one installed (the spare is the one from the parts kit, whereas the installed hammer is an incrementally different type). The magazine is Tokyo Marui's SIG Sauer P226 magazine, loaded to a realcap of 18rds, and the speedloader is also Tokyo Marui's own.

The pistol is extremely well made, as befitting its very high price. Fit and finish is thus far completely flawless, and devoid of machine marks or mould seams. It is likely that the slide has been painted rather than subjected to the SIG Sauer OEM 'Nitron' process (actually a PVD DLC coating) but as that could add several hundred dollars to the already high price its probable omission is understandable. The correct trademarks on the slide are deep and crisp, and look to have been engraved. The outer barrel's '9mm Para' script has been deeply stamped into the steel. The frame's markings are mostly engraved ('SIG SAUER INC EXETER-NH-USA') but the first half of the serial number looks to have been stamped or machined into place while the second half (the numbers that would be modified in a pistol run of 100) appear to have been engraved afterwards, as per the individual serialisation of the guns.

Operation

The Inokatsu P226's controls operate almost identically to the real P226's. Much like the real gun (and the Marui) the pistol strips using its takedown lever, and both the decocker and slide release are fully functional. The slide locks back when the magazine is empty and the pistol can be fired in both double and single action, as well as manually cocked using the hammer. The only difference between the Inokatsu and the Tokyo Marui is that the Inokatsu's takedown lever (as per the real gun) does not also function as an external safety. The only difference I have thus far ascertained between the Inokatsu and the real P226 is the ability to lock the slide back without a magazine inserted; I have seen this demonstrated on the real gun but cannot work out how, or if, it can be done on the airsoft equivalent.

Performance

The weight of the Inokatsu (some 300g, or 60% heavier unloaded than the largely ABS Marui) is within a few grams of the real P226 both when both are loaded and unloaded. This is particularly impressive as the Inokatsu reaches its target weight without resorting to lead ballast in the grips or magazine of the gun. The pistol clicks, cracks and snaps through its various operations as metal strikes metal in an extremely convincing fashion and the gun feels incredibly sturdy, with the only rattle even when shook hard coming (as per the real 226) from the separate extractor. The pistol is startlingly heavy at 1.1kg fully loaded and the blowback kick of the heavy slide assembly is very strong even with propane. The gun is out-of-the-box accurate and consistent (even without its front sight!) and I expect that to further improve when I have time to correctly tune its hop-up. When run on Green Gas average fps in relatively warm conditions (c.17 degrees Celsius) is low at around 285fps with Blaster .25g BBs - predictable for an unmodified heavy, full-metal gun. Gas efficiency is about the same as the Marui original and even after rapid fire the pistol will lock the slide back with a fearsome bang.

My P226 has been mostly reliable, but is suffering from an intermittent sticky trigger that occasionally fails to return to battery. I have yet to examine the problem but it seems likely that parts have yet to bed in correctly; a stronger spring may be required. Further, I don't think that the installed hammer is the correct Inokatsu one (I think the 'spare' one is) but I will conduct a close examination of other brands' P226s (especially Marui's, as a donor probably gave most of its internals to mine) before making any outright accusations.

The agent reported in advance that blowback action with propane would be comparatively weak, and that the pistol should be run on Red Gas (more properly HFC-/R-22) for proper operation. I have yet to purchase Red Gas (which depletes ozone, is a greenhouse gas and general environmental catastrophe) but will give it a try at least once, especially to trial it for winter use. The gun appears (apart from Inokatsu's parts substitutions and presumably appropriately stronger springs) to be entirely stock. I'm open to suggestions for modifications to improve performance without resorting to Red Gas; a tightbore barrel and high-flow modifications appear to be next on the list as I'm happy to partially sacrifice gas efficiency to avoid using an altogether more harmful gas.

Specifications

Gas: Preferred Red Gas, capable on Green Gas.
    FPS: c.285fps (Blaster .25s, Green Gas, c.17 degrees, measured on Skan chrono.)
    Weight (Unloaded): 800g
    Weight (Loaded): 1.1kg
    Magazine Capacity: 23 + 1 (According to TM, their P226 magazine holds 25rds – mine holds 23.)
    Cost: USD$1329 inc. express shipping (P226-01 slide kit $730, P226-02 parts kit $200, frame $300. Complete assembled gun $1284.)

Conclusions

Plainly, the Inokatsu SIG Sauer P226 is a very niche weapon. The ABS Tokyo Marui replica it is based on is highly successful in its own right and is approximately one-sixth of the cost. Reliable (if poorly-trademarked and finished) full-metal alternatives are already available from KJW and other makers; much cheaper metal body kits for the Marui are also widely available that produce much of the Inokatsu's clanking demeanour without the excessive cost. Worse, the Inokatsu's huge cost is almost all sunk into the external body of the gun and the seemingly stock internals, while robust, do not produce high fps. More personally, the trigger issue is annoying but the lack of the sear pin and the suspicious differences between the two supplied hammers are downright troubling.

However, I don't feel cheated by my purchase. The Inokatsu is very, very rare - and limited production, hand finished guns are not cheap. It would be more accurate to compare this pistol in terms of materials and finish to a high-end custom than to the mass-produced Marui gun - and while there are few pistols more expensive than the P226 most of them are built to a similar standard from much less exotic metals. Further, the Inokatsu is extremely well engineered - and in an industry rife with hyperbole, it is a pleasant surprise to get a gun that really delivers on its claim of being the most realistic replica available. It is based on a very reliable platform, and being made of such sturdy materials means that it can will not just survive but flourish with any imaginable internal upgrade, which in short order it will be receiving. More personally, it is (unlike other high-end pistols) a skirmishable tactical weapon, not a shiny and fragile race gun. And I intend to skirmish the ever-loving s*** out of this thing.

Ultimately I personally choose quality over quantity - and will update you, if you're interested, as to how the P226 performs over the coming months.
    Last edited by PureSilver; 4 April, 2012, 05:25.

Re: Inokatsu SIG Sauer P226

rather than high flow valves get a nineball hop rubber and routers for your mags, also is the frame metal?

Comment

KJW are usually clones of Marui, which means there is a fairly high chance its co2 magazines would work with your p226 for better performance, I own a steel Glock 17 and a steel hi-capa (made to resemble a Kimber), and strangely my Glock works fine in the cold with propane, but the hi-capa I've used co2 magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by TOBI View Post
        also is the frame metal?
        Yep, aluminium alloy.

Originally posted by blobface View Post
        KJW are usually clones of Marui, which means there is a fairly high chance its co2 magazines would work with your p226 for better performance
        I wish. As far as I know, the KJW CO2 magazines are for their X-Five variant of the P226, and they don't fit the normal KJW P226 (too wide) and thus won't fit any other regular 226 - shame. I might have to try getting custom CO2 magazines machined.

Where'd you get a steel 1911? Are both slide and frame steel, or just the former?

Comment

I have two Guarder steel slides for my Glocks (one is stainless steel and the other black coated steel)

Both are pretty heavy but function pretty well on propane. Not AS good as an alloy slide or indeed as snappy as an ABS one, but still usable.

Comment

so josh would you say that they have used a KJW doner P226 instead of a TM?
            VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
            trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
              so josh would you say that they have used a KJW doner P226 instead of a TM?
              Good question. I've not seen inside the KJW, but the few videos there are on YouTube of prototypes of the slide kit show it mounted on KJW lowers, so I don't think there's any reason it couldn't be done. The hammer might be key - the one currently mounted on the pistol has two round moulding marks on its right side, one of which has a '2' marked in it. Does your Marui have anything like that? If anyone's got a KJW, does yours?

Comment

the part of the tm hammer that is visable does not have any markings
                VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

STOP PRESS

After examining mine, a Tokyo Marui, and a KJW together, I'd say it's pretty clear mine has been built from a KJW donor (or at least KJW parts). The hammer on the KJW has the same encircled '2' and the colour of the inside parts of my BBU (blue) match the KJW and not the Marui (grey). I've picked up a Nine Ball hop rubber, and a Dyna Piston head - Nine Ball tightbore to come tomorrow when the gun's broken down properly to have the correct hammer installed and all the little chips of metal currently coming off the working parts (as they wear in) removed.

Comment

Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
                    Where'd you get a steel 1911? Are both slide and frame steel, or just the former?
                    Just the slide, the frame's the freedom art aluminium Kimber style one, I can live with aluminium frame since that can be seen in real guns too if not increasing more popular with the 1911 owners world (from browsing gun forums upon googling), I was happy with it, but annoying really, at the time it was the only way I could get a realistic 1911 feeling gun, but now I can & have to get the steel Kimber Royal 2 by Ra-tech, which, unlike the hi-capa (staggered mag spec), is a true single stacked 1911 size gun, and unlike the Inokatsu steel one, is a modern 1911 instead of the WW2 style.

And my steel Glock is based on the KSC instead of the Marui one, for some reason it works just fine, perfectly skirmishable, and the reason I went with KSC is that usually you can just use real gun optics on them with no modding for either the slide or the sights, I installed a pair of TruGlo fiber-optics on it, and the Ra-tech Kimber 1911, while based on the TM, they re-designed the slide so that the rear sights no longer hold the return spring for the nozzle, so real sights can also be installed with no fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by blobface View Post
                      I can & have to get the steel Kimber Royal 2 by Ra-tech, which, unlike the hi-capa (staggered mag spec), is a true single stacked 1911 size gun, and unlike the Inokatsu steel one, is a modern 1911 instead of the WW2 style.
                      Nice piece. If I can't get this thing to work in the cold, the CO2 version of that is going to make an appearance...

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but I was scanning inokatsus website and they say they had a new updated 240 range in 2011, would you happen to know if any of these are still available?
                        | Systema L119A1 UGL PTW || Echo 1 L7A2 GPMG || G&P L110A2 Minimi || Custom L129A1 || KSC Glock 17 || Inokatsu Sig P226 || KSC Glock 18C |

Comment

Afraid I don't - but Inokatsu are themselves occasionally able to source ex display models etc; try dropping them an e-mail. They're slow to reply but they usually do.

Comment

Updates!
                            1. First, I had my local airsoft shop fit (and supply some of) my Nineball tightbore, hop-rubber, and piston lid.
                            2. Second, I've purchased and fitted the Prime Dummy Firing Pin v.2, and frankly I can't recommend it enough. It was ridiculously easy to fit (by far the easiest upgrade the gun has had), it was relatively cheap (in airsoft terms - it was still ruthlessly overpriced for what it was) and it is very well made and good looking. You will need a precision screwdriver (Phillips ##1 or smaller) and that is it. The hammer doesn't appear to strike the dummy pin (which is sprung, so it does move) but in either case with the gun cocked the shooter's view is much improved.
                            3. Third, the gun now has a Guarder 150% recoil spring (the Action 160% was out of stock) which has made slide return noticeably snappier.
                            4. Fourth, my real-steel SIG Sauer P226 mainspring housing arrived. This needs a small amount of material removed (I used a Leatherman, which worked just fine) to fit the hammer-spring post-thingy. Most importantly, this meant that I could finally fit my Hogue Extreme Aluminium grips (matte black, chequered) which are a huge improvement on the Marui grips the gun was supplied with. Photos when I have something better than my phone to take them with, unless you really want to see it now.

Comment

After a push from revell55, I took some photos of the Inokatsu sporting its new Hogue Extreme aluminium grips. These had to be Dremel-ed to remove a small amount of material on the inside of the left-hand grip to permit the decocker spring to sit comfortably, but now fit perfectly. The gun also features the Prime dummy firing pin (v.2). Not visible are the internal upgrades - a Nineball tightbore inner barrel, hop-rubber and Dyna piston head, a Guarder 150% recoil spring (but not the 150% hammer spring), and a SIG Sauer mainspring seat. Anyway, photos! Apologies for the low quality, these are from a cameraphone. As usual, click through for higher quality.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

PureSilver Find out more about PureSilver
                              Working...
                              X