Kydex holster making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kydex holster making

Hi all, been looking for a holster for my TM glock17 with a Tac light and apart from Fobus and some other more expensive brands (which I can't afford) there's not alot! Especially due to TM's slide being an odd size.
    So I decided to make my own, I looked on the Internet and found these.

These are made from Kydex which is a type of plastic.
    I found a supplier who would sell a small amount as an 8x4 sheet is wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy to much.
    It arrived this morning and here's my efforts up to now.

Still needs riveting together and shaping, also needs the belt/Molle loops finishing.
    What do you think?

Re: Kydex holster making

Looks great, what thickness did you use and what did you use as a press?

Comment

I bought a sheet of 2mm and a sheet of 1.5mm thinking it would be stronger using 2mm on the back! But going to just use 1.5mm in future as it's strong enough and gets better definition. I used a piece of ply and foam and me stood on top lol. Will make a press at the weekend for future use.

Comment

great effort mate, let us know how it goes.
        could make me one too?

Comment

Let me make a few first mate, then once I've tried different methods then yes I can start making some for people. Have no idea how much though? Anyone got a price in mind to their worth?
          Start to finish takes, I would say 5hrs! (if all goes to plan lol)
          I'm going to make one for a TM 4.3 next but using the IMI mid ride belt loop with the 3 heights although the method I'm using to attach the holster will only have two heights, but will have cant adjustability.

Comment

I've actually got all the materials handy, stashed in a corner, ready to be built for my 93R, good to see others doing the same.

So far as pricing and worth... The problem is that the core materials are not cheap at all. My material and tool costs were pretty high, at least £40, if not more. That's not including basics, such as a dremel and files, sand/wet&dry paper... Though my plans inc adjustable tension via chicago nuts/orings, Strike Platform compatible (so will have the 3-hole 'T' shaped mount on the back) and I am considering lining mine as well, though that one is an experiment waiting to happen.

I'd say at the very least, £25 each, £35 for something fancier (e.g. lined/adjustable/fancy mounts). It's just not very viable to do it for very cheap, at least with my material sources. If you manage cheaper, then well done, I can't for the life of me find a cheap source of kydex >_<

Cheers for the heads up on the 1.5mm stuff btw, I got 2mm just in case, as it's got to hold the 93r, which weighs a lot, but if 1.5mm is good enough, I'll use that next time

Comment

The one I'm going to make for the 4.3 will have adjustable tension via chicago screws too but due to my glock having the Tac light, it's easier doing it in two halves. I also had to "fill" the trigger gaurd area in as the Tac light is wider and the gun would not be able to come out otherwise! :-(
              Also the switch on the light sticks quite far out so "borrowed" a piece of my sons Lego to make a channel for it to run through whilst drawing the weapon, on holstering it the holster turns the light off due to how I moulded it on the back.

Comment

Just had a play with the 4.3 and the 2mm Kydex, it's okay but definition is poor. Retention is very good and the draw is good.
                Think I'll use this method for none Tac lighted pistols and the two half version for guns with Tac lights.

Excuse the Allen bolts these now have Chicago screws and o rings in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                  I've actually got all the materials handy, stashed in a corner, ready to be built for my 93R, good to see others doing the same.

So far as pricing and worth... The problem is that the core materials are not cheap at all. My material and tool costs were pretty high, at least £40, if not more. That's not including basics, such as a dremel and files, sand/wet&dry paper... Though my plans inc adjustable tension via chicago nuts/orings, Strike Platform compatible (so will have the 3-hole 'T' shaped mount on the back) and I am considering lining mine as well, though that one is an experiment waiting to happen.

I'd say at the very least, £25 each, £35 for something fancier (e.g. lined/adjustable/fancy mounts). It's just not very viable to do it for very cheap, at least with my material sources. If you manage cheaper, then well done, I can't for the life of me find a cheap source of kydex >_<

Cheers for the heads up on the 1.5mm stuff btw, I got 2mm just in case, as it's got to hold the 93r, which weighs a lot, but if 1.5mm is good enough, I'll use that next time

so £35 for the holster (glock with torch) not bad , can I have one,simple belt version.

Comment

Err yes I suppose, one problem is what, Tac light do you have? It would require you sending me your light as unfortunately I don't have a light shop lol.
                    Big trust on your side though.

Comment

great , as soon as I find the good tac light, we will sort it out.

Comment

Right wasn't very happy with the definition on the above pics so reheated the Kydex which relaxed it it back to a sheet, the redid both front and back sections.
                        Done some rough shaping this morning and will do the final shaping with a dremel tomorrow all being well. Then it's rivet time and a final edge finishing and contouring to the body. I'm fitting this to a battle belt so will need a Molle attachment, I've got an idea for it so will try it I think.

The yellow lines are where I'm shaping to.

Comment

Okay guys, it's finished!
                          Did the final shaping with the Dremmel and riveted together the two halfs. The contoured the holster to the body using a little heat. I had to flare the opening slightly to aid the holstering of the Glock.
                          Just made some Molle mounts to fix it to my battle belt.

Comment

One of the holster mounted.
                            Orders being taken lol lol
                            Future projects will be in 1.5mm only as I feel it's plenty strong enough and gives better definition over 2mm.
                            If you want one and I have access to your pistol type (any light/lasers will need posting to me so I can mould it to your setup) then I'm charging £25 for none Tac light and £35 for Tac light holsters.

Comment

Well got my first order for two TM 4.3 hi-capa holsters, one right handed (pictured) and one left for duel wielding.

And the press I use for those that asked.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

rubi-tong Find out more about rubi-tong
                              Working...
                              X