Collapse

Kydex holster making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appreciate it Thought on my first go I'd leave loads of space around the mould just in case everything went wrong!

Well, my first holster is done! Not the neatest thing, loads of trial and error with rivets as you can see to get the retention right. But I'm happy with it

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    Buy my stuff!

Comment

• Re: Kydex holster making

Looking good mate, really well done.
      The more you do the better and more refined the process gets. Top job

Comment

• Just something new to wet the appetite
        uploadfromtaptalk1378840739256.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378840739256.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378840766791.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378840874618.jpg
        TM 4.3 with a TLR1 Fitted with a safariland thumb break
        Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Nearly done. Needs shaping and the edges finishing.
          uploadfromtaptalk1378845657107.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378845675778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378845689033.jpg

Comment

• All done. Let me know your thoughts guys.
            uploadfromtaptalk1378930214358.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378930233290.jpg

Comment

• All done. Let me know your thoughts guys.
              uploadfromtaptalk1378930214358.jpguploadfromtaptalk1378930233290.jpg

Comment

Truly amazing work!
                sigpic

Comment

Looking fantastic! Can't wait for it to arrive and give it a nice coating of OD krylon then rough it up a little! I'll post some pictures when I'm done! Thanks Mark!

Comment

• You are welcome buddy. Enjoy :-)

Comment

I work with plastics at work mate

Try these tools http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Comment

Cheers for the link matey but not sure what id use them for? Kydex is heated up to 330degrees and moulded in a press!
                        Im interested in tool mind you, any other links to formers etc?

Comment

Hello mate

The leister gun is an extreme hot air gun which will blow hot air out at 600 deg max! Will allow you to mould spot areas easier. I've never worked with kydex but have ordered some from this thread so I'll let you know what happens in a few days!

Does kydex crack if rapidly cooled?

The holsters you make are awesome btw

Comment

I leave it to cool in the press (20mins max). It will burn and shrink though if too hot!
                            Im going to be knocking them on the head as soon as im done finishing these last few off. Just dont get the time anymore.

Comment

Yeah it seems it melting point is around 330 which is why it's so malleable! I'm going to make a cast of my desert eagle, glock, and my friends p2(something) out of plaster. With this I'll make a kydex one and a fibreglass one. Fibreglass being a lot easier by the sounds of it.

What I want to see is if I create ,say a 90 deg crease then instantly cool with compressed oxygen whether the kydex will crack. To be honest I'm a little excited ha ha haa. I can't find a decent one for a desert eagle anywhere!

Do you have any tips? Oven heat etc

Comment

Keep your eye on it! Lol
                                If your going to start making a number of them then buy a non contact thermometer (£20ish).
                                You dont need to make a plaster mould as you will not melt a gun?
                                If you heat the Kydex up in your oven on a clean upturned baking tray and heat the pistol with a hair dryer so you DON'T get thermal shock. Place the kydex sheet in your press and the place the pistol on top and then your top piece of foam and press it HARD. You can either do it in two pieces (pancake style) or one piece (clam shell style) by wrapping the kydex over the pistol then pressing it. If you mess up just reheat the kydex and it will relax back to a sheet.
                                Your 1st few are always a bit of trail and error.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

rubi-tong Find out more about rubi-tong
                                Working...
                                X