Airsoft Essentials F.A.Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airsoft Essentials F.A.Q

Was asked to repost this from somewhere else. Written by me. Hope it turns out useful.

This FAQ covers my recommendations for your first and subsequent skirmishes.

We're not talking Guns or Gear or anything here... just the basics.

Safety Breifing
    Nearly all sites do a safety briefing at the beginning of the day. Pay attention, even if you've been playing for a while as things change from time to time and they may highlight specific things about the site that you didn't know.

Face Protection
    The number one item required for an airsoft game, whatever your role (player, marshal, photographer). Most sites provide it if you need it, but obviously having your own is nicer.

This is a hotly discussed topic, but the short version is - make sure you get something rated, and make sure the rating includes lenses and frames (and make sure that rating is an impact rating, not a UV one). Most places recommend full face, but eye protection (goggles, glasses) is a minimum.

The ratings you need to look for are:
    In the USA: ANSI Z87 (Comes in Basic (8.4J) and High (Glasses:1.07J, Goggles:3.06J, Face Sheild:4.38J))
    In the UK: EN 166 (Comes in F (0.87J), B (6.2J), A (15.5J) and S (?J)).

Note that the rating should be engraved on the frames and the lenses, or else they're technically not rated (even if they have passed the test).

If you want cheap but high rated eye protection, try a DIY store. May not be as stylish as Oakley M-Frames, but probably significantly cheaper and easy to find something thats rated.

There are various things that aren't rated, but do protect. These aren't recommended, but many people use them. Guarder glasses are a common one. Use at your own risk.

Foot Protection
    Airsoft is a physical sport taking place outside in rough terrain. Put simply, find something a bit better than a pair of old trainers to wear. Boots aren't that expensive if you're taking it up regularly. Everyone has different views so I wont recommend anything specific. Some sites are more dangerous than others though. If you're playing CQB I'd definately recommend something safety rated.

I also recommend knee protection, mainly because it lets you drop to a knee without having to think about what's there. Not crucial, but nice.

Hands
    I recommend gloves, cycling, motocross, "flight" gloves ore even just gardening or work gloves are pretty good for most things. Half finger or thin leather ones are best as it still allows you to grip things. Not a requirement but highly recommended.

Hydration, Food, Heat Stroke etc
    Short version: Eat something at lunchtime, drink plenty of water, wear a hat.

Long version: Heat stroke is nasty, its caused by lack of water and salts and sugar. Dehydration isn't pleasant either. You need to drink enough, but also make sure you eat something, hot food is good, even if its boiling hot out.

I frequently drink a whole hydration pack or two in a game (1-2L of water) in the summer, plus a couple of cans or cups of coffee. Although fizzy drinks can dehydrate you more, the sugar and so on is good for you, so long as you drink enough water to go with it.

Also, don't be afraid to stop and take a break, have a drink and calm down. Adrenaline, heat and general excitement does strange things to you.

And Finally...
    Most important, have fun and look after yourself.
    /9 out.

About the Author

Collapse

Nine Find out more about Nine
Working...
X