X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFC HK45CT GBB Review + Video Review

Hey fellas.

I thought I'd chime in on here with my thoughts regarding the VFC HK45CT

The typical no thrills Umarex Hk box...yay.

Contents of the amazing box.

Overview/build:

The pistol itself has a terrific build quality and looks stunning. VFC does a fine job at making their guns look nice at least.
    The metal slide finish looks a better shade than KWA's HK45 and other HK pistols. The white umarex licensing marks are thin and are mostly unnoticeable. Mostly.

The controls are positive. Safety decocker lever functions well. The flick up to safe mode is tactile and locks into place reassuringly well. The sweep down to decock is smooth and breaks into double action mode with a deep clunk.
    As I mention in my video review, the double action trigger pull is heavy but in a good way. They've done a good job to make you feel like it's a realistic trigger pull and not like a toy gun.

The sights are the standard HK45 type sights but compared to the TM 45, they appear dark grey and more authentic.
    The slide release/takedown lever is really easy to pry out of the frame unlike the TM, which just doesn't want to let you take it out.

The grip length on this pistol is similar to the USP Compact and even though my hands are more on the small side, it still feels awkward for me to hold it. My support hand doesn't have a nice ledge to rest upon, the standard HK45 however, has that chunky magazine baseplate which does have the ample room. If I interlink my pinky fingers it works but it's probably not a decent grip method.

The spare backstrap is medium sized and I'd love to try it out but unfortunately the pin holding the one already on the pistol, just doesn't want to come out.

As with the real HK45C, the rail is just too short for your run of the mill pistol lights, X300's for example, requiring that 4th rail cutout. Cable ties? Lol

Hopup:

The hopup adjustment is located on the guide rod. The key that comes with the pistol is used to adjust the hop and is a pretty clever external location for the calibration. Unfortunately the hopup doesn't do a very good job and the shots land either a little high, a little low, slightly left, and sometimes straight. I placed these shots on the paper at 20m and I had to shift my aim from shot to shot to walk the bbs onto target, poor consistency.

Shooting:

In a warm/comfortable environment the HK45CT shoots very well. On propane/greengas, you get a great snap and jolt in the hand from this little gun, it's cyclic rate is nice and high but that exciting experience is soon demolished when venturing out into the cold.

When I was in 3 degrees C, the pistol really did struggle to complete a magazine and often it just failed miserably. Sometimes it would fire one shot fine and second shot would be too weak to even load another bb, it would alternate between weak and very weak shots before the tank was empty.

Enter the dragon.
    On Guarder Power Up Gas the reassurance would be restored and the pistol would complete a magazine.
    A must fuel for single digit temperatures.

Range:
    To be fair to the little gun the range isn't too bad. When I was using either a toasty mag on propane or Guarder Black, I had it shooting out to 50m. It would probably take an entire 20 round magazine to be able to hit a man sized target once at that range but at least it was getting there.

KSC/KWA Compatibility:

I touch upon this in my video but as you see in the photo's, the internal working parts are copied from the KSC and KWA USP series.

USP

HK45CT

Side by side, USP left - HK45CT right.

The magazines are a drop in fit but unfortunately they either vent the gas once fired, fire and slide blow back a few mm or appear to light strike and act like a NBB. At first I thought it could be that the button on the valve sat too low for a decent strike but with the varied responses from testing, I cannot pin point the cause of the actions.

One of the only real differences between the two brand magazines is that on the original HK45CT magazine, it has a raised lip on the rubber gas seal.

I have an Action high flow valve in one of my USP mags and this seems to be the way to make the USP magazine fire the pistol.
    I removed the Action valve to install into one of my hk45ct magazines and it is a fantastic upgrade. The cycling remains high and consistent, even in colder conditions it outperforms the stock by a long shot.

Conclusion:

Right from the box, out of 10 I'd give it a 4. There's a decent gun in there somewhere but you'll have to fork over a bit more money on top of the initial £170-£200 cost just to find it. Business as usual with this brand then.

£40+ per magazine is a complete joke.

When it becomes available in Asia, I have no doubt in my mind that AMG would release upgrade valves much like the VP9, so one could get the very best out of the system and if one were to install an upgrade hopup bucking, I believe it would be fine skirmish tool.

So yeah, it looks the part but doesn't deliver. That should be VFC's company slogan. "No compromise, GET VFC!
    Hmmm, no mate.

Video Review:

Thanks for looking and I hope this helps.
    http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Re: VFC HK45CT GBB Review + Video Review

Excellent review! Shame about the out-of-box performance though, I've been waiting for one of these for a while now.
    Feedback Thread: http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29778

Comment

Re: VFC HK45CT GBB Review + Video Review

Thanks mate. Yeah out of the box and into the cold, doesn't run too well.

Warmer weather it would fair better and with a little upgrading as I mentioned above, it should bring it up to speed.
      http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bada Bing Find out more about Bada Bing
      Working...
      X