[Dev] In-grip/pouch electric warmers for gas guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [Dev] In-grip/pouch electric warmers for gas guns

Oh if you want to tune co2 I could offer some advice, if you take apart a kjw flow valve and just do up the screw that go`s into the valve you can limit the amount of gas that is allowed to flow I can now adjust my kp06 mags to give between 300fps and 380fps it does take a bit of messing around.

Its a shame that I killed one valve to work out how they work and have lost a mag now but I have 2 co2 and 1 green gas now and me and the dremmal may be able to save the broke valve at some point or I may just fit a hi flow and see what happens lol
    sigpic
    Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Comment

I used a different data sheet can’t find the one I used, but this one has it http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/specs/82-0208.pdf.
      But in any case TTL logic (which is what the LM393 looks like) will only output about 50mA (not up to 0.5A anyway)
      For the lipo protection you can use a comparator, just to save the number of chips you will need (you can get 2 comparators in one chip). Something like this will work, where

This will not cut off the power, just beep when its low (or you could have a light or something). And you will have to change the resistors and/or the zener diode if you want to use different batteries.
      Some quick calculations, if you want to use the battery for a length of about 5 hours (so you can change battery half way through the day) at 2.5W with a 7.4 lipo you will need a battery of ~1736.11 mAh. Something or this size:
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turnigy-1700mA...item1c1cbd6d07
      Although the heater wouldn't be on all the time...
      ... we need a physicist to help!

Comment

why not rig it up to a thermal switch then you can run it at any voltage you want ?

Oh and dude your probably going to get into trouble for posting a link to another retailer aka ebay
        sigpic

Comment

Pau1, I KNEW I didn't need to use that bloody LM10, those things cost a bomb! I like that method a lot, it's so simple! Will look into the %error and other numbers on everything tomorrow.

And Jag, really, your warning is very much heeded. I will keep the cut-out temperature nice and low, about 25-30 most likely. It's why I am basically building a thermostat around this thing. I will see what results I get and test this thing HEAVILY before I give the ok on the plans for others to try.

And how do you mean thermal switch? If that is what I think it is, that was basically what that original ketchup circuit was. It's a DIY Thermal cut-out, using a few resistors, a thermistor and a comparator

Comment

my lizard used to have a little probe and a dial and I could set what temp his heat mat would go on at and turn off at you must be able to rig up something like that ?

I just use co2 myself lol
            sigpic

Comment

May seem simple but buy a pair of heated gloves and keep the mags in those? Also this is a great idea <3
              Sorry if this was a bit necropost-y, its a good idea that should be seen and built upon :/
              -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
              -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Just to let you guys know, this project has not been abandoned, I just have bugger all time to work on it >_< however if anyone wants help with pushing it further, get in touch.

Jonny, in essence that is exactly what this project is. The problem comes from fitting it along with a power source within a a pistol, as I can keep mags warm in my pockets, no problem. Its within the pistol, where the cool-down really gets going.

The only rechargeable method for this is via lipo or lion. Lipos come n a larger variety of sizes, so they are the obvious choice. But they need a control circuit to prevent over charge and over discharge. The protected lipos all seem to be crap, so I have been working on building a better solution.

It was almost there, design-wise, but then I got distracted by other projects AND a new job, so I am slowly working my way through all my little side-projects I have, starting with anything non-hardware based, as that I can devote as much or as little time as I want to a single session.

I will keep hacking away at this, but if anyone has any experience with setting up voltage cut-outs, give me a shout. That is the one part which I am struggling with atm... Will upload latest designs later today, as I have dumped the LM10 design in favour of the cheaper and simpler zener diode solution, which I am still finalising. I've also adapted the thermostat bit a bit as well, but no major changes there.

Comment

Very interesting project! Please make it work!!

I think that ideally you'd need to have warmers both in your mag pouches and on the pistol grips, so you'd always have warm mags.

Also, would it be an idea to have the battery attached to your belt and the wire running trough a pistol lanyard to the grips? Surely this would save some space problems.

Keep us updated!

Comment

haha the final design should cater for both, with a QD charger port at the base of the grips, which should take any power source at about 5-10v or so, will see what I can get to power it. I just don't like relying on the lanyard design, seems messy.

Comment

You could use a lanyard cord to run the power to the hand warmers then you could put the battery anywhere in your rig you wanted so it could be pretty big on a 1911 or something the heater pads can just go under the hand grips.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                        haha the final design should cater for both, with a QD charger port at the base of the grips, which should take any power source at about 5-10v or so, will see what I can get to power it. I just don't like relying on the lanyard design, seems messy.
                        I'm just wondering how big would the grip have to be to be able to fit a battery on it...

Comment

My test pistol is a TM Detonics, for reference. Should give several hours of use, if I'm lucky, but no real way to tell yet. Bare in mind you do have both grips for space. Will probably need some sort of method of wire routing between the two, so maybe those ergo grips or via the rear grip pad. Other pistols... no idea how to make it work.

Glocks are the big unknown for me as they don't have removable grips I think? I know 1911s are fine, m9s are fine, my microUzi should be fine so same for MACs etc. Sig's - not sure... bleh, don't care yet, will do when the time comes.

Comment

hi capa`s ? oh wait my kjw takes co2 so will get 320fps in the winter still and my wa is 380 in the summer on propane so should get 300 on propane in the winter I hope.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmm... tricky. Don't know, possibly not, unless I find a clever way to do it. Hi-cappas don't have the sort of space in the grips, so may have to be external power only. That is if I can even manage to securely fit the wire in there.. Such an awkwardly shaped magwell/grip...

Comment

I will just get some re useable hand warmers... camping shops sell them... pop it so its hot, leave it in the puch with a mag....

job done
                                FOR SALE
                                7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
                                , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bachelarius Find out more about Bachelarius
                                Working...
                                X