Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army in NI during operation Banner

Hi

Right I am trying to get together a load out that would have been worn by BA troops in Northern Ireland in the 1990's. Tough I know because they seemed to wear whatever was issued by the stores at the time whether it was current issue or not!

Couple of issues really. People will probably laugh but I have an eye for authenticity because of my perfectionist character. Most people will probably say "lighten up" or "why bother".

I have a set of 95 pattern DPM camo shirt and 85 pattern DPM trousers and a 85 pattern coat. I have a 85 pattern flak vest and a 85 pattern chest rig. This is alright in the winter because the 85 pattern coat has shoulder epaulettes that button over the flak jacket and show my rank. But it is June now and I need to loose my jacket as I am sweating like a pig when doing CQB skirimishing with the flak jacket on as well. Believe it or not!

My question is this. My 95 shirt has the center slide rank epaulette on it. As I will be SGT I have rank slides for the jacket and shirt. If I was a SGT in combat with a flak jacket on where would my rank be shown as the center slide epaulette would be under the flak jacket? I have seen pictures of soldiers with arm patches with rank sewn into the right hand arm on tropics in Kenya is this what they did in NI too? Or do I need to try and get hold of a 85 pattern old style DPM shirt that has shoulder epaulettes for the rank slides?

Also I have a Mk6 army surplus helmet but I really want a Mk6 riot helmet with visor and nape. Rare as hens teeth apparently!

Cheers

John

Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

John, I'm glad to know there's someone who's paying attention to details even in airsoft loadouts.
    I can't be helpful on your specific subject because I'm more into british special forces gear than the regular army one, but I appreciate very much your effort to obtain a highly realistic setup.
    Wish to see a few pics of the finished job.

Keep up the good work mate...

Comment

NCO's dont wear rank on there shoulder (well officially they dont) back then yes your right with it being sewn on the right arm.
      It's not about you dying for your country...
      Its about making your enemies die for theres

Comment

As I was actually there in the late Eighties/ early Nineties, I can tell you that kit varied tremendously. While I was in Belfast, issue kit was the order of the day with the old-style flak-jackets and berets.NCO's wore rank on OD patches sewn on the right upper arm. However, when we were down in Armagh, Tyrone and Fermanagh. It was a question of whatever worked. I wore a pair of Danner 2121 Arcadia, gaiters from the NAAFI shop, tropical combats (as they were light and dried easily when it rained..........and it rained!) INIBA vest, as it was then, over a Norwegian roll-neck and a hooded SAS smock.

I've got some pictures I might be able to put up somewhere, if they'd be any help?
        There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Missed the edit, so excuse the double post.

Just found a pic from Lurgan, Portadown. Can't upload it yet, but most never wore webbing (that I remember) I used a DPM COP vest. Also had a DPM chest rig, for short ops' and VCP's etc.
          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Im assuming the mk6 you have is the previous issue one from the last few years? If so you do realise that the visor and nape protector etc were just add ons? It all comes in a box, visor,visor clips,nape protector and sticky backed velcro. There is no such thing as a mk6 riot helmet just a normal mk6 with the modification kit.

Also have you earned the rank of Sgt?
            sigpic

Comment

Yes please any photos would be useful.

Originally posted by BAMF View Post

Just found a pic from Lurgan, Portadown. Can't upload it yet, but most never wore webbing (that I remember) I used a DPM COP vest. Also had a DPM chest rig, for short ops' and VCP's etc.

Comment

right buddy to answer your question about where to put your rank. People use them as helmet patches but back in the day they would one of these on the right arm.
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Army-Staff-S...item2c58cdaa5f

(not correct rank) these are just so you know which style.

Comment

Yes I did realise that about the mk6 helmets but the chances of the ex-surplus modification kit turning up is, I assume, a bit slim. More likely is finding a helmet with the bits already fitted turning up on ebay or such like. TBH I keep scanning for stuff to turn up.

Earned the rank... well I am trying to make sure I am! ROFL!

Originally posted by Arnie013 View Post
                  Im assuming the mk6 you have is the previous issue one from the last few years? If so you do realise that the visor and nape protector etc were just add ons? It all comes in a box, visor,visor clips,nape protector and sticky backed velcro. There is no such thing as a mk6 riot helmet just a normal mk6 with the modification kit.

Also have you earned the rank of Sgt?

Comment

Err they are brassard patches would they have used these rather than these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT ?

I have a sgt helmet patch but I thought they were used later on?

Originally posted by Special bus View Post
                    right buddy to answer your question about where to put your rank. People use them as helmet patches but back in the day they would one of these on the right arm.
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Army-Staff-S...item2c58cdaa5f

(not correct rank) these are just so you know which style.

Comment

The ones i just gave a link to were used on uniform. My dad RM used them on his tropics and his Smock before he got a Arctic windproof. Helmet patches were used as they had a border around the edge. But looking at Dads tropics the CLR/SGT patch is the brassard patch.

Comment

Royal Marines rank patches were 'de rigueur' as they were small and neat - unlike those big, flappy nylon things above. Still see 'em to this day, too.

:

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                          Royal Marines rank patches were 'de rigueur' as they were small and neat - unlike those big, flappy nylon things above. Still see 'em to this day, too.

:

That is the sort of thing I have seen pictures of soldiers in Bosnia wearing. The one I linked to earlier I have seen in a picture of soldiers on patrol in NI but no idea when the picture was taken. But judging from the SLR must be early 1980's so not sure how prescriptive it is for later gear?

Image can be found at http://www.imagestate.com/Preview/Pr...licenseType=RM

I am not sure what the green flak jacket things they are wearing are either!

I may have tracked down a mk6 helmet with the riot visor kit on it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                            I am not sure what the green flak jacket things they are wearing are either!
                            As I stated earlier:

As I was actually there in the late Eighties/ early Nineties, I can tell you that kit varied tremendously. While I was in Belfast, issue kit was the order of the day with the old-style flak-jackets and berets.

Comment

I have a 1980's DPM COP vest but I figured it would be a bit bulky on top of the flak vest so I use the DPM chest rig instead for my mags.

If you PM me I will send you my email address so you can send me the pictures direct if you like.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                              Working...
                              X