X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
    As I stated earlier:
    Thanks I must have overlooked that earlier! Have not found any older style flak jackets as yet. They are all the newer type.
    Last edited by M0WBY; 3 June, 2011, 23:44.

Comment

I think I have found an older style flak jacket. Is this the type? http://www.pgwing.net/images/flakvest/britishl.jpg

Comment

At the end of the day I want to balance form against functionality. At the end of the day I don't fancy getting a bb in the eye or face so wearing the riot visor and mk6 helmet rather than a beret makes sense!

Comment

The flak-jacket pic/link didn't work for me?

Here's a couple of pics of kit worn 70's into the 80's

The helmet to go with that kit is called a "Cromwell". (though these lads aren't wearing them) Very similar to Police/Prison service 'riot-gear'. You can pick an ex-police one up on the bay and spray it OD.

*In fact, check out Bill1310's avatar. That's a Cromwell.
          Last edited by BAMF; 4 June, 2011, 00:32. Reason: add info
          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

OK I will have another go!

Comment

The helmet to go with that kit is called a "Cromwell". (though these lads aren't wearing them) Very similar to Police/Prison service 'riot-gear'. You can pick an ex-police one up on the bay and spray it OD.
              I had originally thought of buying one of these [IMG] http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ex-Police-Secu...item484084ae7a [/IMG] and spraying it OD! But I was not sure how authentic that would be! Cheers I might do that if my riot kit for my MK6 does not turn up. May do it anyway!

On another note you may have guessed from my ID that I am a licensed radio operator (HAM) hence my call sign is Mike zero Whiskey Bravo Yankee. So I wanted to put a British Army Trade Badge - Signaller - All Arms/Corps on my DPM shirt as well. Where would I put that seeing as I am putting a SGT rank badge on my DPM shirt as well. I have seen them put in many different places i.e. on the right shoulder above the sgt rank, on the right shoulder below the sgt rank, on the left shoulder below UJ emblem with the Royal Corp of Signals flash on the top right shoulder, and even on the left shoulder below UJ emblem with no RCS flash on the top right shoulder! The RCofS flash seems to be something that is a bit of a misnomer to me as it seems that they got embedded into other units as the 'signaller' and usually wear the flash of the unit they are with rather than the RCofS. I can see why SAS or Commando flash carrys more cudos I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                That is the sort of thing I have seen pictures of soldiers in Bosnia wearing. The one I linked to earlier I have seen in a picture of soldiers on patrol in NI but no idea when the picture was taken. But judging from the SLR must be early 1980's so not sure how prescriptive it is for later gear?

Image can be found at http://www.imagestate.com/Preview/Pr...licenseType=RM

I am not sure what the green flak jacket things they are wearing are either!

I may have tracked down a mk6 helmet with the riot visor kit on it!!!
                The unbordered rank patches are the ones to go for and from memory the Flak Vest is the 1979 Pattern. Again from memory there were 3 different types with minor differences. To begin with they used ex US Army M69 and M52 types.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of kit worn 70's into the 80's

*In fact, check out Bill1310's avatar. That's a Cromwell.
                  Unfortunately the blue Police helmets arent the same as the NI Cromwell Riot Toppers.

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                    I have a 1980's DPM COP vest but I figured it would be a bit bulky on top of the flak vest so I use the DPM chest rig instead for my mags.

If you PM me I will send you my email address so you can send me the pictures direct if you like.

Ideally you want basic belt order of 58Patt web belt,water bottle and carrier,1x ammo pouch and an S6 in its carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
                      Unfortunately the blue Police helmets arent the same as the NI Cromwell Riot Toppers.
                      Which is why I said similar in my post. Having worn and used both operationally, I can categorically state that they both do the same job and you'd be hard pushed to distinguish them in the heat of the moment.

MOWBY, that helmet off the bay should be snapped up with a Cheeky offer, before I do it myself!
                      There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Which is why I said similar in my post. Having worn and used both operationally, I can categorically state that they both do the same job and you'd be hard pushed to distinguish them in the heat of the moment.

MOWBY, that helmet off the bay should be snapped up with a Cheeky offer, before I do it myself!

While not wishing to start an argument here,yep both would certainly do the same job in protecting you but as for similar-a Pasgt Kevlar hlemet is similar to a German WW2 helmet but quite different also:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Excellent thread as British Army 70s/early 80s is one of my favourite eras

Comment

It's nice to see a couple of "old sweats" on here by the way!
                          I did a number of tours in N.I. in the 80's and 90's, my first and most significant one being Londonderry 87-89.
                          The usual patrol kit we wore, from top to bottom, is as follows:
                          Foot patrol: Mk6 with cover, combat jacket, INIBA vest, T-shirt, combat trousers, high leg combat boots, belt order(no yoke) carrying water bottle, ammo, baton rounds, comms (brick comd only) basis first aid kit.
                          Mobile patrol: As above but top cover sentries wore the visor and nape protector fitted to their helmets with no helmet cover. The reason no helmet cover is because the used to burn well when petrol bombed.

PM me if you want more detailed info and war stories!

Si.

Comment

Yeah, let's pull up a sandbag and swing the light and we can tell stories of how we were there when they actually 'needed' us! :D (I can almost hear the theme tune to Harry's game as I type!)

No argument intended Terry, just for the OP's info, a Cromwell would be much more difficult to source for the look he desires.

Also MOWBY, you could look at getting, or replicating a shield and FRG (Baton gun). Don't forget the essential N.I patrol gloves too.

Comment

Already done just got to get a can of OG paint now:-)

John

Comment

Thanks guys for all the useful input really interesting stuff. I also have a bowman prr radio (not working) with headset (the remote PTT button for on your weapon is missing as well!). Did these get issued to troops in NI? I remember reading an article about them when they were first issued but I can't remember where I saw it or when they went into service.

Cheers

John

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X