Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
    Ideally you want basic belt order of 58Patt web belt,water bottle and carrier,1x ammo pouch and an S6 in its carrier.
    Right I will work through the comments. I have 2 58Patt belts so I am ok there! But the other stuff I will have to collect.

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck. View Post
      The usual patrol kit we wore, from top to bottom, is as follows:
      Foot patrol: Mk6 with cover, combat jacket, INIBA vest, T-shirt, combat trousers, high leg combat boots, belt order(no yoke) carrying water bottle, ammo, baton rounds, comms (brick comd only) basis first aid kit.
      Mobile patrol: As above but top cover sentries wore the visor and nape protector fitted to their helmets with no helmet cover. The reason no helmet cover is because the used to burn well when petrol bombed.

PM me if you want more detailed info and war stories!

Si.
      I think I would get arrested if caught carrying baton rounds!

Comment

I think I would have to save up for a airsoft FRg (baton gun) but I don't know the rules at our local site with regards. Baton rounds as I have seen people who have been hit by them and it looks painful!

Comment

Ok i have spoke to the Old man (Father). He said he wore the following.
          if in the field for more than 2 days, Tropics DPM. If not in the field. Normal issue P.85 trousers and GS shirt.
          Always wore a smock. Arctic windproof(now referred to SAS smock) or P85 though he preferred the Windproof (never wore the P85) if hot weather wore a green t-shirt under his smock.
          His beret (RM).
          He only wore a helmet once and that was because he was drunk in the NAAFI and put it on for a joke.
          HI-Leg combat boots.
          Chest rig DPM or belt order.
          SIMPLES.

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
            I think I would have to save up for a airsoft FRg (baton gun) but I don't know the rules at our local site with regards. Baton rounds as I have seen people who have been hit by them and it looks painful!
            You could probably get a baton gun replica which fires moscat shells. Would give the same immitation of a baton round being fired, but instead of a hefty chunk of plastic it would be a shower of BB's.

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
              Thanks guys for all the useful input really interesting stuff. I also have a bowman prr radio (not working) with headset (the remote PTT button for on your weapon is missing as well!). Did these get issued to troops in NI? I remember reading an article about them when they were first issued but I can't remember where I saw it or when they went into service.

Cheers

John
              PRR was issued to troops after the introduction of them, but a clansman man portable radio (349 i believe) would of been used prior to that. It depends on which era your looking for. After the noughties, your looking at mk6 helmet, visor fitted, CBA (combat body armour), S95 combats and CBH boots, SA80, baton guns, and normal webbing. Chest rigs were used in vehicle patrols and by a lot of blokes, then some switched to assault vests (better vehicle mobility with additional carrying capacity.)

Prior to, you would have to ask some of the older and bolder lol

Comment

dont keep knocking us oldens lol

Comment

The only radios we ever used in N.I. were the red or green secure cougar radios and not the clansman.

Comment

OK so it seems the place I found selling 79 pattern green british army flak jackets fully kevlar lined are not anymore! So if anybody hears of someone selling one PM me. I am interested in getting myself one!

Comment

Found on a well known auction site.400220163192.
                      Not perfect but not a bad compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
                        Don't forget the essential N.I patrol gloves too.
                        Dont forget the steel plate!!:D
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh well it now turns out that the helmet I bought a few months back on ebay is not a mk6 but a British Army lightweight para helmet!

It has a mk6 cover on it and that is why it was mistakenly sold as a mk6.

I am not bothered as it is worth more. Good job I never modified it to take a visor!

Comment

Get it back on the bay for what it is and get that other one!
                            There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

How much you want for it? Also i will see what i can do reference mod kit. I already have the visor and clips and can get hold of the nape protector too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie013 View Post
                                How much you want for it? Also i will see what i can do reference mod kit. I already have the visor and clips and can get hold of the nape protector too.
                                I had not planned on selling my para helmet just yet.

I still need a water bottle (have a carrier) but they are plentiful on the bay and a S6 in it's case for a basic belt order. The S6 is easy to get but I will have to wait till I have the cash as they tend to be about £30. I have to watch what I spend as I want to save up sone towards a scope etc for my gun. Also I have spent a bit over the last few days! I may buy another ammo pouch for my baton rounds also a bit later ;-).

I am still looking for a 78 pattern green flak jacket. That is my first purchase should one come along.

I may be interested in a pair of tropical DPM trousers 80/88 size later on as well. But they can wait until a pair turns up for a £1 on eBay!

Cheers

John

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X