Tanaka Mauser Kar 98K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanaka Mauser Kar 98K

Well, after so many people asking me I thought I would put up a review for this rifle.

The gun comes in around £550 new depending on what retailer you buy it from
    Or £500 for the Mountain Trooper version which is about a foot shorter than the standard 98k.

Magzines
    It comes with 1x 10 round magazine and a stick type speed loader common with most Tanaka sniper's, I bought another 3 mags to make the gun useable in a skirmish to save reloading every couple of minutes - Gas consumption isnt bad and will let you fire 20 to 30 bb's from a full refill.
    Magazines cost £50 each everywhere I have seen them available so its definetly not a gun for those short on money!

FPS
    I wouldn't reccomend shooting the gun on .2's as they just fly away into the sky / where ever the wind wants to take them, allthough i will give the specs on them as you must chrony with them.
    FPS is dependant on the temperature and gas.

Propane / Green Gas
    .2 BB's: On a cold day your looking at 400 - 430FPS, Avarage day 430 - 470FPS, Hot day 470 - 520FPS.
    .4 sniper BB's: Cold 370 - 400FPS, Avarage 400 - 430, Hot 430 - 470FPS
    134A
    .2 BB's:Cold 330 - 360FPS, Avarage 360 - 400FPS, Hot 400 - 430FPS.
    .4 sniper BB's: Cold 300 - 330FPS, Avarage 330 - 360, Hot 360 - 400FPS
    These are just avarages and I can't swear by them, so if your planning on buying one its always good to take a bottle of Geen / propane and 134A to a skirmish just in case - theres nothing worse than being told you cant play with your most loved gun.

Accuracy with the rifle is excelent, even on iron sights - you would have a hard time missing a stationary target - effective range i'm unable to say as i'm not too good with working out the actual figures for distances but the gun will outrange a lot of other snipers such as the Well L96 no problem.

Hop is found underneath infront of the magwell and is a simple screw.

The Rifle Itself
    The entire extrenal construction of the gun is metal / wood and is of very high quality and the gun weighs close to the real thing at 3275g

Trademarks on the gun are accurate and lead back to the "BNZ Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr" factory, 1941 - I imagine Tanaka have taken a real one and completley copied the trademarks.
    There are 2 Swastika's located on the top of the bolt housing and the back of the stock plate - both are very small and if bought from america, these will have been ground off.

The saftey is located on the rear of the bolt and flicks over from right to left (safe to fire), the saftey can only be turned on if the gun has been cocked.
    When pulled back the bolt does have a fair amount of wobble, but nothing to serious.
    Mag release is located in the trigger guard at the front and is quite small - it must be pushed up and has enough resistance to prevent any chance of dropping the mag by accident - the bolt must also be back to alow the mag to be released / inserted.

Wear and Tear
    The rifle stands up to the harshness of everyday skirmishing quite well, as expected the wood takes a few scratches / dents or even BB marks.
    Th rear part of the bolt cover does however warp with use but doesnt effect the gun in any way at all.
    The front sight is held in by friction alone so it is wise to hold it in with some threadlock for a firm but non permenant fix.
    Springs found in the bottom rear of the mags are only held in by tension and tend to go on an adventure of their own into the bushes never to be seen again so it is also a good idea to superglue these in (making sure not to get any glue on the gas release).

Anything Else
    The gun does accept Real-Steel accesories if your able / willing to find and buy them, I have a repro Tanaka ZF41 Scope and a real steel K98 bayonette (not for skirmishing).

The ZF41
    Costing a hefty £120 this is more of a sight than a scope due to its 1.5 x 15 magnification, though it is extremley helpfull for aiming with as it you can wear mask and use it, the ironsight is fairly low down, the scope can be looked under to use the iron sigts as well if needed.
    A very nice bit of kit, in my opinion its worth the money but thats just down to personal opinion.

Final Verdict
    Overall this is an amazing gun in my opinion, great for skirmishing or just as a collectors item, there are hardly any faults for me to pick up on and it shoots like a dream, allthough it really isnt a gun for those short on money due to the price of the gun / accesories.
    I'm extremley glad I bought this gun and wont regret it!

Thanks very much for reading - please ask for any more info if needed, just post here or drop me a Pm.

Thingy

About the Author

Collapse

Thingy I like guns me Find out more about Thingy
Working...
X