Tokyo Marui FN-57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui FN-57

The 57 (Five-seveN) was made by FN Herstal back in 1998 and gets its name from the 5.7x28mm round it uses that is also used in the FN P90. It was designed in conjunction with the P90 in fact to be used as a pair after both using the same ammunition. It is a lightweight polymer-based weapon that has a large magazine and can penetrate body armour with correct rounds.

ANYWAY, the TM 57..... i shall do a first impressions review and then at the end do another for the reliability and down the line ownership of the pistol.

In the box
    Typical TM offerings, nicely laid out black but a little less good looking comparred to the p226 i recently got, no little badge as per the 226 box but it can hold a spare mag so if you dont have a pistol carry case, you could use this.

Comes with the typical targets, instruction manual that you cant read, little bag of bb's, cleaning/jamming rod and 2 mag inserts that stop the gun locking on last shot, i think these are for the gun to be used as movie props, as they serve no other purpose aside from not letting the slide lock back. if you know exactly what they are for, let me know!

Materials
    The gun is full plastic pretty much, seeing as the real one is made of polymer this isnt that bad, the plastic is tough feeling and the controls feel solid and weighty and not cheap like you would expect them to be. The lower is really tough and seems to feel different to other TM pistols i have used/owned. The slide is great, it never feels like its flexing or going to snap and i think this is due to it having an internal frame also, so makes it more solid. The only metal on show is the trigger, 3 body pins around the safety and the hop unit/chamber.

Looks
    This gun is marmite, you either love the look of it or utterly hate it. Personally i think it looks fantastic (obveiously i own it!) and its a very different looking gun to bring to the field with all the Glocks, 226's ans Hi Capa's. The big grip going down into a small body then to a tiny muzzle looks great.

The trademarks are not there which is a little upsetting. The TM on the left reads "D.296 S.N. 08489 F-HB" which to me, means nothing, the real gun has simply "FN HERSTAL BELGIUM." On the other side there is the "cal 5.7x28" which is correct to the real gun and 5.7x28 on the chamber also, again true to the real one. The grips do not have the FN logo but TM have made one thats looks more like TM, but using the same style which is nice and still looks quite good also. You also have a ally plate at the end on the lower rail that has a serial number that matches the slide. Then you have the "TOKYO MARUI CO.,LTD" and "MADE IN JAPAN" on the top of the right hand side grip and the ASGK right at the very back.

Feel
    The gun is all feels great, solid, robust and again, different. its very well balanced with the mag in and never feels front heavy like some pistols can. The grip is pretty large with a longer than normal reach for the trigger, so some people with smaller hands may dislike. The way its set up forces you to hold it correctly with your finger tip on the trigger and not the joint. All the controls are within reach so you dont have to take your hands off the grip (safety switches need use as they are a little sticky to start with) but with a simple reach of the index finger you on and off safe very quickly. Again i have said it before, this might be plastic, but it feels so much better than the other TM plastics.

Performance
    Now we are talking! the kick from this gun is by far the best since that of the desert eagle, the piston head and nozzle is much larger than the other pistols i own by TM and thus creates a huge kick. the noise is also there with it, firing thisgun in stairwells has people muttering "what the **** is that" and thinking its a gas rifle.

The hop is of course fantastic being TM and has very good accuracy/range out the box. Hop is adjusted by a simple strip of the gun and adjust as per most other TM pistols on the lower of the hop unit.

Range is great on the gun, i cant confirm the distances i have hit people with it, but it certainly does have some being it has a longer barrel than most other TM pistols bar the 5.1 1911 based guns. it also doesnt have a moving outer barrel that floats around so shot consistancy is improved much like the Desert Eagle, instead the inner and outer barrel are locked in place so there is less chance of it moving around shot to shot.

Mags as you can see are huge, they hold loads of gas and never fail to get a full mag of 26 off. Just make sure you stack the mage 100% correct, otherwise you get miss-feeds much like the PX4.

Accessories and stuff
    With the rail on the bottom, its prime for a taclight or laser sight etc, you can buy the 57 with a torch from new, but i just have a chinasoft led torch on the bottom that fits great.

There are threaded outer barrels available for it also, different colour bodies and slides (i had the full black and got a DE lower for mine)

Below are some pictures. And at the bottom will be my experiences with the FN over time.

Ownership Review.

Please bare in mind that this pistol has been a primary on MANY occasions and has seen some serious use.

Well after some time of ownership i have discovered a couple issues with the gun. The first issue was the blowback unit. instead of using the slide like most guns, the 57 uses the blowback unit to hold itself onto the lower, this coupled with the hard kick and serious use it got from me caused the tiny screws that held the slide rails on the come loose. The front of the slide rails are on tiny little nubs that just snap after the screws at the rear come loose and thus your left with a slide that can rock from left to right.

I fixed this ussue by drilling a 1.5 mm hole through the rear of the blowback unit and using pins to hold the rails in place and locktighting the screws in. this has stopped the slide rocking in loaded position, but once locked back still rocks a bit. but it didnt really affect the use of the pistol, it just anoyed the hell out of me!

The outer barrel is made of cheese, and seeing as its locked into the hop unit by 2 nubs, it eventually snaps and flies out the front, so a steel one of them is always a good choice from guarder or whoever.

The hop unit if you wish to upgrade a hop rubber doesnt have the space to house the locating long nub on the right, so i found you have to shave it down a mm or 2 with a stanley knife othwerwise your hop once together looks more egg shaped.

lastly my inner barrel ripped out of its mounts inside the hop chamber recently, but i put this down to being my fault as i drilled out the outer barrel and put a 1911 length barrel in there, but just in case someone elses has done the same.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Re: Tokyo Marui FN-57

Alright mate?
    What kind of gas do you run this on?

Comment

Just a heads up, don't be tempted to use Green Gas because the issues he explains in the review will happen very quickly. That said, I had a deformed outer barrel and loose slide rails in under 2 weeks, only using Abbey Ultra, which is unusual for a TM. It's not a good design. It didn't 'break' the gun totally, but it meant the slide/frame gap was huge, and it wouldn't lock back anymore. If you want it to last a long time, use 144a, even though it isn't anywhere near as fun to shoot and the FPS will be low. The problems can be fixed though - I bought an Anrgy Gun aluminum barrel which solves that issue (don't buy a steel barrel, it can break the hop unit) and similar to what the OP did, I screwed and glued the blowback unit together. Now the slide sits on the frame like it should, and it's pretty much as it was new, except hopefully stronger. I'm happy to use Ultra in it now, but I still don't think propane/green would be good for it.

Comment

As above, i ran mine on green gas from the off.

And yeah, it quickly broke and the signs of wear were showing very quickly. My 226 i had longer and used just as much lasted much much better. Its a shame as its a great gun, but yes, 144a only unless you have glued everything together from new, that should save you the issues but not 100% and still not great

I'd buy another, but my Capa's are such workhorses i just cannot bring myself to buy any other pistol.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Danny_boy85 Gun Monkey, if it comes apart, i take it apart... And make it awesome! Find out more about Danny_boy85
        Working...
        X