Vietnam MACVSOG US Special forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vietnam MACVSOG US Special forces

If you read Citadel by Dale Dye which is a fictional account of his time in Hue City in '68, there's an account of the Marine unit he is serving with as a correspondent picking up Thompson's given to them by the US from an ARVN armory.

Not read the book in a while but it's a cracking read........................

TBH in the close up firefights in Viet Nam, I'd have thought the Thompson would have been a much better weapon than the lightweight 5.56 Armalite due it's nice heavy hitting .45 ammo. Guaranteed to stop those pesky NVA or VC in their tracks!!
    sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

But it was heavy at nearly 5kg unloaded (compared to the ~3kg of an M16) and the ammo was much heavier too. It also have very limited range.

They did use UZI's and MAC10's. But most of the time it was M16's and a bit later XM's

Comment

I saw a few pictures of some vietnam era special forces and two of them didn't have carry handles, like I said while I'm not doing this to exact detail I just want to base it on that, I may consider a carry handle at some point

Comment

Like I said the uniform is the main thing I'm going for so I guess its not a full vietnam loadout, and by Black Ops do you mean call of duty? I don't play xbox or anything so I wouldn't know about that, maybe the pictures I saw weren't Vietnam, anyway if I want to go the extra mile I might slap a hand rail on it

Comment

That looks pretty good, this is similar to what I had in mind with jungle hat or maybe a bandana. Do you what know kind of price it would be for something similar to those thompson pouches you have on but for an M4, I mean the whole belt and pouch set up

Comment

No british 'ground troops' were deployed, however RAF reconnaissance was used as training missions, until we lost a bomber over North Vietnam. That was kept very hush.

Comment

Originally posted by II Walker II View Post
                That looks pretty good, this is similar to what I had in mind with jungle hat or maybe a bandana. Do you what know kind of price it would be for something similar to those thompson pouches you have on but for an M4, I mean the whole belt and pouch set up
                Individual M56 webbing pouches and full sets can be found either on a popular auction website or various other militaria related sites, but full sets can be pricey.

To save funds how about getting a Pattern 58 belt/harness adding US M56 Ammo pouches? Once you have the M56 amm, butt pack, holster etc on, it'd look OK.

My own rig is 100% British Pattern 58, with the exeption of the AK magazine and M56 .45 ammo pouch

sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

My vietnam lrrps kit

Comment

MACV-SOGing it at Fireball's Vietnam Day

This is the classic 'Over The Fence' raid set up for MACV-SOG-
                    Sterile, hand-sprayed fatigues
                    WW2 gaiters
                    Cut off recon gloves
                    correct Tan NVA chest rig
                    WW2 BAR belt and suspenders with 3x M56 canteen pouches at the rear
                    XM28 riot mask for dealing with CS and CN gasses
                    Gerber Mk2 fighting knife
                    Survival Strobe
                    FFD pouch.
                    Parachute silk drive-on rag.
                    OD bandana.

XM177e1 with clearing rod taped to the foregrip
                    Snubbie S&W M49 tucked into a pocket for the SHTF moment
                    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Comment

any pointers on a cheap headband/bandana option?
                      Not to worry about breaking the law, as long as you're healthy.- spetsnazdave87

At which point I would mount my ride, which is a donkey called Akbar, and charge off into the enemy, lighting the grenades as I go

Comment

olive green triangular bandage, as used as bandana
                        sigpicTeam Fail..SPOOK

Feedback http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=100922

Comment

cheers, i went and ordered a plain black bandana but i'll keep that in mind
                          Not to worry about breaking the law, as long as you're healthy.- spetsnazdave87

At which point I would mount my ride, which is a donkey called Akbar, and charge off into the enemy, lighting the grenades as I go

Comment

Here's a pic of me n 2 other guys at a recent Namsoft shoot....navy seals and Macv sogimage.jpg

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

II Walker II Young lad, pretty new to airsoft but getting into the swing of things and already half way through building my first awesome loadout Find out more about II Walker II
                            Working...
                            X