Vietnam MACVSOG US Special forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam MACVSOG US Special forces

Starting to make a Vietnam era American special forces loadout, not seen many people with this in games or on vids and it looks quite interesting.
    So far I have:
    American Tiger Stripe Camo trousers
    G&G Combat Machine CM16 Raider( while this isn't exactly like the weapon they would use it is similar as it has a shorter barrel, not all M4 style weapons of the time had a carry handle as far as I know and would just use a standalone M4 rear sight)
    OD assault vest (I don't think they used assault vests and would probably of used webbing or chest rigs but the loadout is a work in progress)

Things soon to be bought:
    An American Tiger Stripe camo shirt
    American Tiger Stripe camo jungle hat and bandana
    Short style M4 mags

If you have done a load out like this yourself let me know, I'm not aiming to be as realistic as possible this just something that I thought would be good to do and a look a little different to the many who dress in DPM (not that I am criticizing those who do wear DPM). I will post pictures as I each new item up until the set is complete. Feel free to let me know if I have missed anything major for this kind of load out, little details I aren't really worried about

Re: Vietnam MACVSOG US Special forces

remember the navy seals did use the stoner 63 lmg so you could use one of them as apart of your loadout, also a g&p xm177 would probably be a more accurate gun to use

Comment

Don't forget a fair few had STABO harnesses on, only problem is that they cost a fair amount each unless you make your own.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by II Walker II View Post
        G&G Combat Machine CM16 Raider( while this isn't exactly like the weapon they would use it is similar as it has a shorter barrel, not all M4 style weapons of the time had a carry handle as far as I know and would just use a standalone M4 rear sight)
        Ummmm where are you getting that information from? Because as far as I know all AR-15 variants had carry handles until the introduction of the M4 and the M16A4.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge (thanks to reading Nam magazine for a history A-level project ages ago), no armalites like the M16, M16A1, M16A2, Car-15 or XM177E2 had removable carry handles/iron sights unless chopped off by the soldiers themselves (which wouldn't make sense, since scopes could still be mounted on the carry handle). I don't know exactly when RIS/RAS rail systems and MBUS style sights came into general use, but I don't think it was in Vietnam (unless your source is Black Ops). Only the modern M4 and M16A3 variants have removeable carry handles with RIS rails underneath for ACOG and other scopes. Therefore anything with a RIS rail or removeable carry handle is unrealistic for Vietnam era loadouts. As for uniforms, olive drab (advisors early in the conflict sometimes used just olive drab uniforms) and American tiger stripe are appropriate.
          Failure is always an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan SG-7 View Post
            To the best of my knowledge (thanks to reading Nam magazine for a history A-level project ages ago), no armalites like the M16, M16A1, M16A2, Car-15 or XM177E2 had removable carry handles/iron sights unless chopped off by the soldiers themselves (which wouldn't make sense, since scopes could still be mounted on the carry handle). I don't know exactly when RIS/RAS rail systems and MBUS style sights came into general use, but I don't think it was in Vietnam (unless your source is Black Ops). Only the modern M4 and M16A3 variants have removeable carry handles with RIS rails underneath for ACOG and other scopes. Therefore anything with a RIS rail or removeable carry handle is unrealistic for Vietnam era loadouts. As for uniforms, olive drab (advisors early in the conflict sometimes used just olive drab uniforms) and American tiger stripe are appropriate.
            agreed with dan here spend a bit more money on the accurate rifle otherwise your going to be spending a fortune on getting it to look right.
            back to the loadout does anyone have a list this thread has made me want to go and play dress up while running around with my stoner 63

Comment

well while there was a fixed uniform they didn't care for it i see a pair of jeans camo and a boonie hat

Comment

As for your "Assult Vest" a chichom would be accurate here either the ak or sks one as these were used, this would be a lot more accrate than a random od assult cest and would not cost a fortune either, I am a lil confused why you say this as work in progress. Webbing would probably go under this, or the STABO.
                As for the tigers you willl have to be careful about which ones you choose- depending of course on how accurate you want to be as the cheap ones that I cant rember the name of are incorret.
                Also agree with the person who said about guns, but they used loads of guns, even an AK would work.

There are specaist nam forums out there, but I dont think I am allowed to link to them, were you may find kit lists and the like, but you could always do a search for them
                sigpic

Никто, кроме нас
                Nobody, but us

Comment

i use tiger stripe bdu's with M56 webbing + bandoleer for my mac-v look alongside a G&P XM177E2 w/ M203 and M1911. other setups you could use would be AKM's (both solid and folding stock versions) with an AK chest rig of that era, and the usual armalite weapons (M16vn/a1, XM177e1/e2, Car-15), M14 wood stock version, and for support roles, the Stoner-63, and M60's. sniper weapons would generally be limited to weapons such as the M40A1 (or vsr-10 as it looks pretty much the same), M21 (marksman varient of the M14), and SVD's.

there could be more but these are all i know of. i'm using the setups on the presumption of tiger stripes being used, but they can also work with OG's.
                  sigpic
                  Mercs Boss
                  Armoury:
                  ICS MP5A4 w/ Lighted Forend \ G&P XM177E2 w/M203 \ ZM Weapons Original LR300 \ TM MP7A1 \ TM M1911A1 \ TM P226R

Comment

Lots of SF units at the time built up their webbing in layers.

Example: (top being the lowest layer)
                    Pilots Survival Vest (with minimal survival equipment)
                    Stabo along with a few belt mounted pouches (canteens, knife, FA kit)
                    Chicom (with some ammo and grenades)
                    Webbing (with the majority of the fighting kit)
                    Backpack (food, sleeping stuff, yada yada yada...)

The whole idea of this was that you could shed layers if you needed to move quickly and still have kit to fight and survive with.

Cheapest thing to use is a Chicom rig to start with, they can be picked up for about £15. Then you can build on it as needed.

As for the jeans being used, I thing (may be wrong) that was much more a SEALs thing than other SF units.

Weapon wise look at an XM or an M16. There were AR-15's around at the time with WEAVER rails on them, but they were never issued to US forces to AFAIK. But please don't add scopes or anything to it though, those were few and far between and will ruin the look of a nam loadout more than most things.

Comment

if u want some more ideas check out a book called running recon this is full of photos of the sog units if not try armies of vietnam 1 or 2 again full of good visuals

Comment

Here's my incredibly half arsed attempt at a Nam esque SF loadout....please feel free to abuse it as I havn't made the slightest effort to make it authentic in anyway!

: D

sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Yeah....specially with a union jack, it looks really "yank"......lol

Comment

I could have dual Brit/US nationality and decided to join up and do his bit for Uncle Sam whilst still wanting to state his Britishness......hence the Union Flag.

I'm sure there were some Brits that managed to get to the 'Nam!

: D

Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
                            Yeah....specially with a union jack, it looks really "yank"......lol
                            sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Other nations were involved in Vietnam besides the US, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Laos, the Phillipines and South Korea all provided troops, and the Canadians, Indians and Polish were involved as supposedly neutral monitors of one of the various peace accords that were broken throughout the war. So loadouts other than American are possible, though Britain stayed out of Vietnam altogether (some soldiers may have volunteered to go after leaving the army, but there were no official deployments of British personnel as far as I know). WW2 weapons such as the Thompson and the M1 Carbine were used by early war advisors, but were phased out later on in favour of the M14, and then the M16 and XM177 series weapons (and the M60, M79, Stoner 63, though it was never really mass produced). The use of captured weapons like AKs was discouraged, as the different sound of the AK type weapons could confuse soldiers in a fire fight and lead to friendly fire incidents, though there were probably instances of soldiers picking up weapons out of necessity or as trophies.
                              Failure is always an option.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

II Walker II Young lad, pretty new to airsoft but getting into the swing of things and already half way through building my first awesome loadout Find out more about II Walker II
                              Working...
                              X