Tokyo Marui SIG-Sauer P226 E²

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui SIG-Sauer P226 E²

The Marui SIG 226 E² is one of TMs latest gas pistols. In fact, since the XDM hasn't been released yet, at the time of this review, it is Marui's newest - number 48 in their line up of GBBs. Here's a quick review of it - probably one of the first on the internet from what I can find.

History

As you will know, the SIG-Sauer P226 was a double stack version of the old SIG P220, intended for use by the US military in the 80s. It was one of the designs that ultimately lead to the end of revolvers, and pioneered the mass use of semi automatic designs. The SIG P226 has since become a standard reference pistol for lots of modern designs, and has been in use by the US Navy, Air Force and Special Forces, the British Army, SAS and SBS, as well as police all over the world. One criticism of the 226 design was that the grip was quite wide when compared to new polymer framed pistols, a lot of shooters wanted a more ergonomic grip. SIG's solution to this was the P226 E2. It featured a new style grip, thus E2 (Said ether 'E-Two' or 'E-Squared') standing for Enhanced Ergonomics. It also featured a new fast reset trigger. In the world of Airsoft, Marui's E2 also features a reinforced valve knocker, a new magazine, and a steel grey slide. It was released around Christmas 2011, and is available in most UK airsoft retailers.

First Impressions

My P226 E2 was purchased from Zero One Airsoft for £140. This is a fair price considering some of their older designs go for the same amount, maybe slightly less. Their PX4 retails for around the same price, but I wanted a more business like appearance - the PX4 looks too.... civilian-like? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I can't image a PX4 being used in a military role. Maybe that will be my next purchase.

Anyway, the box is the same as the PX4s, being stylishly silver with a red line down the bottom, and bold red text to give a very high quality and modern look. Being a TM box, there is a space for a spare magazine, a nice touch, as well a a bag of BBs, a cleaning rod, blank fire magazine adapters, and the gun with its magazine. The usual TM paperwork is present, along with a TM poster style 2011 line up. Shame it doesn't come with high-quality TM blu-tac for my wall.

Lifting the gun out of the box and I was very impressed with how nice it felt. I had fears of it feeling toy like and hollow, but it was reassuringly heavy and the finish was perfect. Seams were hardly existent except for one in the trigger guard, but this isn't noticeable. Putting the magazine in increases the weight to around 800g. This makes it feel considerable for realistic than, for instance, the TM Beretta 92s that weigh less but are larger, leading to a plasticy feel. The gun is very well finished and fit is perfect - no wobbles or slide movement. First impressions are very good - the gun is far better made than the M92s and, in my opinion the Glocks and Hi-Capas. The new style grip fits my hand perfectly and is delicately thin, yet strong in reality.

In Depth Look

The feel of the gun has really impressed me, but what effects do the new 'E2' parts have on the P226?

The Grip - The grip is one of the parts that will really decide weather or not this gun is for you. If you have hands large enough to provide shelter for a small African village, and their livestock, then the standard P226 may be better for you. The grips are pattered not unlike Magpul parts, and give a good hold. The are quite slim and get smaller towards the bottom. They don't loo too comfortable but I find them great to use. Please note that the frame is different to the standard P226 because of the difference in grip size and attachment. Unlike the new grips, the old ones were attached by screws. This is one of the only complaints I have about the pistol. The left grip plate is creaky. They seem to attach by simply being pushed onto the frame with studs. This means they can creak and can actually be pulled away from the frame at the top - I really wish there was a better way of attaching them, as they aren't as secure as they should be.

The Trigger - I don't have much trigger time on a standard P226 so I can't comment much on this, but the trigger seems quite good beyond one niggle - in single action, you can't feel the break point. The trigger doesn't have a decisive pint where you can feel it's about to release the hammer. This is isn't really an issue, but it means in single action you can't put any pressure in the trigger or it will shoot - again, it's not a problem if you keep the gun in double action until you are shooting. Maybe it's not so good for precision single action shooting, but this is a combat pistols, and the trigger resets quickly so it's no issue. Aside form this the trigger is crisp, and resets very quickly for double taps. Double action is rather stiff, but has a feel-able break point.

The Slide - The slide is a grey colour, but isn't anywhere near as grey as some pictures show it to be. In fact, in usual light it looks almost black. The colour is very similar to that of the Marui SIG 552's grey 'steel' parts. The pair looks very good together. Like the P90 and 5-7, they are the perfect sidearm/rifle combination.

The Magazine - The magazine replicates the real P226 15 round military magazine, unlike the old ones that were based on the civilian 10 round designs. The mag feels weighty and smooth, and filling is like all TM pistols. I added an O-Ring to stop any excess gas leaking on filling. The feed lips are rather sharp but loading is the same as any other TM GBB. The magazine boast 20% better gas thermal efficiency over old mags. In the current temperatures (5-10 degrees), it could easily empty a magazine with rapid fire. Not one shot every few seconds, more like 2 or 3 a second. The magazine did get cold, but cool down isn't as bad as my TM Glock 17 in the same conditions.

Firing and Functions

Being a 226 the controls are placed interestingly. The slide catch is located right above the thumb, and works reliably as expected. It is easy for a right handed person to use, but impossible if you're not. The decocker is located above the magazine release, and brings the hammer to half cock from the fully cocked position. It is easy to reach and use - no problems with it not working at all. Seems a reliable system. The takedown lever was, before I understood it, a bitch. What was I doing wrong? I take the slid off just fine - but when re installing, the lever wouldn't lock back into place. The solution, as the manual shows, is to make sure the chamber has dropped downwards when the slide is refitted. To do this, push the barrel backwards of push the chamber down. It then all pops back together just fine.

Shooting is the same as any SA/DA GBB. It will shoot in single action, with double action for the first shot if you have decocked it. After that it's single. When skirmishing, the best thing to do is to load it, cock it, then decock it so it's safe, but ready to shoot when it's needed. I used Zero One Pro gas, which is rebranded Abbey Ultra, during my tests. Velocity was comparable to usual TM GBBs, but as a lack a crono I cannot comment on this. Kick was sharp and quick with this gas - Green would be ok in it but I suppose will eventually wear nit out quicker. Abbey Ultra is powerful enough for my use. Shooting results below - 5 metre test, standing, with TM targets, Excel .2g BBs and Pro Gas. 2 handed grip used, and 1 second pause between shots. Sights are 3 white dots and easy to acquire.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is the perfect combat pistol. It is accurate, realistic, reliable and feels great. Performance is wonderful and I'd say it's defiantly worth the extra ~£20 over the standard P226. A great purchase, I'd recommend this to anyone over any other GBB on the market.

Realism - 8/10
    Weight - 7/10
    Accuracy - 9/10
    Power - 6/10
    Quality - 9/10

Overall 9/10 as a combat pistol - almost perfect.

Re: Tokyo Marui SIG-Sauer P226 E²

Nice review mate.

I looked at one just before Xmas and was quite tempted, but put off by the normal TM plastic construction issue (I don't mind plastic, but only where plastic is used on the real thing). If you find you use your backup more than I do, then cold weather performance may well be more of a factor to you making this a very nice option. What I did find when I held one was that (as you say) it's far more ergonomic for the average hand. I've got a KJW/SigArms factory training 229 and while it may be spot-on for weight and size, it's quite bulky when you're holding it i comparison with something like a 1911. Even the slight narrowing of the grip (which looks just wrong) actually works well when it's in your hand.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it in a skirmish or two.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
      Nice review mate.

I looked at one just before Xmas and was quite tempted, but put off by the normal TM plastic construction issue (I don't mind plastic, but only where plastic is used on the real thing). If you find you use your backup more than I do, then cold weather performance may well be more of a factor to you making this a very nice option. What I did find when I held one was that (as you say) it's far more ergonomic for the average hand. I've got a KJW/SigArms factory training 229 and while it may be spot-on for weight and size, it's quite bulky when you're holding it i comparison with something like a 1911. Even the slight narrowing of the grip (which looks just wrong) actually works well when it's in your hand.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it in a skirmish or two.
      Yeah the grip feels much better than it looks :p This seems to work very well in the cold. I don't believe people who say that the KWA 226s can shoot 2 mags off in -0 temperatures. The reality is that plastic will work better and this seems to work great.

Thanks for reading

Comment

UPDATE:

As expected, no complaints or problems to report on. This seem to do much better then my TM Glock 17 in the cold, especially when rapid shooting. The short reset trigger makes fast shooting really easy. Something I'm very happy about is the grip - although it used to squeak when gripped, I applied some silicone spray into them, under the panels, and not no noises at all. This is not, without a doubt the best TM GBB I have owned so far. In fact, probably one of the best GBBs all together. Can't wait for TM to release some more double action handguns like the HK45.

Comment

You sir, have swayed me to buy one. Already have two marui 226's, and have been waiting for a proper write up on one.

Props.

Comment

Order placed.
            Ill get a mini review up after a couple of skirmishes with it this weekend and how it compares to my P226r's.

Comment

Just arrived.
              Same as above. However i have tried to see what it is like with crossing parts from the old 226r.

The old slide fits, and cycles on the new frame, as does the e2 slide on the old frame.

It fits perfectly in serpa 226 holsters, and also my h+s speedsec 3.

Have checked backwards compatability with magazines, all works fine, new mag in old gun, old mag in new gun.

Ill get some photos up of the two side by side later on, including internal shots. But it mostly looks the same, and after looking at the exploded diagrams there aren't too many new parts.

The trigger break is a lot better than the old one! No where near as much of a dead zone when the hammer is fully cocked. Beautiful and crisp as soon as you squeeze it.

Off to buy some guarder bits for it now, so it can keep up with the other two....

Edit: have you tried fitting the spare followers to limit the rounds? If so, whats the correct way? As they seem to just flail around the magazine when i drop them in!

Comment

Originally posted by palmer234 View Post
                Edit: have you tried fitting the spare followers to limit the rounds? If so, whats the correct way? As they seem to just flail around the magazine when i drop them in!
                They are blank fire adapters, you put them in with no BBs and it will stop the slide locking back for....whatever reason. They just sit ontop of the follower.

Thank for the compatibility info, I was wondering about that

Comment

To look cool in the mirror?

Just got back from shopping in a tacky swedish furniture outlet, so pictures for comparison will have to wait until tomorrow.

Comment

Whats it like in the cold weather?

Comment

Originally posted by Kithooton View Post
                      Whats it like in the cold weather?
                      Well I was at Ground Zero a few Sunday's ago, temperature around 6 Degrees and out of all my pistols, this held out best. My TM Glock, previously my best cold weather gun, was shooting rather feebly and was venting if shot too much. The P226 had no issues, and even though the mag got cold, it never failed to empty a magazine, and power loss was minimal. I was very impressed, and after almost 2 months of using it, I have had no problems whatsoever. Probably the best pistol I have owned so far. I'd like to see how the TM XDM stacks up to this.

Comment

Seconded, used mine when it was -1 on a night game a few weeks back, flawless.
                        And even though im stopping for a year, i'll still be buying an xdm :-)

Comment

I'm hoping that the Black Serpa P226 fits this TM Sig P226 e2?

Comment

Originally posted by Kithooton View Post
                            I'm hoping that the Black Serpa P226 fits this TM Sig P226 e2?
                            As far as I know any standard P226 holsters will fit this, as the frame and slide are mainly unchanged.

Comment

I can confirm that the E2 fits perfectly in a SERPA. It's my standard sidearm and holster. Often run with this as my primary and have never had any issues.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Apurturesci Male Find out more about Apurturesci
                              Working...
                              X