Trip mines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip mines

Was thinking about using one in a game sometime in the future and wondered what people think about them, are they too dangerous (people actually tripping over them) for the benifit?
    Or are they a good investment of time?
    "God is only airborne, because he failed the commando course"

Armoury - M4, M3 shorty, Mac11, M9
    Ex Armoury - MP5A4, G18c

Re: Trip mines

we use them sometime to cover rooms with contain objectives, we had a bit of trial and error finding a cord that was strong enough not to break, and to pull the mine, without being so hard that it would trip people over. we also place them at just below waist hight, rather than ankle
    For Sale!
    TM M870 with a load of stuff
    A&K massada sniper spec
    Chronograph
    leaving airsoft so everything must go

Comment

Saw a few used back at virus (rip) some peeps didn't even realise they were hit by a trip mine.
      Looking for a Harris style Bipod with 20mm RIS mount.

Comment

We ocasionally use the .25 blank firing trip mines available for about £15 from a retailer we cant mention (search google for .25 blank mine or something), plus about £20 for 100 .25 blanks. They are superb bits of kit. The trip mechanism is perfect, not so sensitive that it can be set off by a gust of wind, but not so strong you have to risk tripping people over. .25 blanks are very loud too, halfway between a 9mm and 12g blank.

Before we got these, we ocasionally used the BFGs as trip mines, but found the pin was way too hard to pull out easily, we overcame this by buying a tonne of split pins and grinding them with a dremel to thin them down a bit, so they slipped out easier, but still wasnt ideal. But fishing wire works fine on the .25 mines, as theyre specifically designed for use as a trip mine so theyre much easier to set off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Stephen View Post
          we use them sometime to cover rooms with contain objectives, we had a bit of trial and error finding a cord that was strong enough not to break, and to pull the mine, without being so hard that it would trip people over. we also place them at just below waist hight, rather than ankle
          ever thought of fishing line?

Owner of DCS
          (Doom custom shooters)
          PM me for Custom work!

Comment

I have a couple and i found them very useful but can be difficult to setup in woodland. They require screwing into an object so I imagine these work allot better around door frames etc!

Comment

I use fishing line on my claymore. Nice and cheap from certain auction sites
              Tend not to use as a tripwire though as they can be a ball-ache to set up and have two interesting experiences with them.
              1. my mate encountered one in an urban site that he felt before he triggered so we we redeployed to cover an avenue of attack. Subsequently took out some of the team that had originally left it.
              2. Ummed and ahhed about trip versus remote det for my claymore at a woodland site. Luckily went for the latter as mid-game play was stopped as a walker wandered through the site on a footpath. If they'd triggered the trip they'd have has a facefull of bbs with no eyepro! Made me consider my placements in woodland games very carefully.
              "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
              George Carlin

Comment

interesting thread this as we are looking at trip pyro for a test day at a new cqb area. Few very valid points i hadnt taken into consideration...
                Sh*t happens. But mostly to me, so you're okay.

----

Comment

I think the main issue with trip wire activated devices is their indiscrimination. In general, I prefer the idea of setting up a device that I can then forget about as it means I can get on with other things without needing to keep in mind potential times to fire it. The problem is that I don't want to have it go off on my own team. As far as trip hazard goes, I think it can be negligible provided you utilise something lightweight. I've used fishing wire on the times that I have set up trip wires and by choosing the guage carfully have found something that is unlikely to trip someone and yet more than likely to trigger a device rather than break. If you are woried about tripping people over, use cotton thread as it definitely meets the criteria even if it is more visible than other options.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Downrange Find out more about Downrange
                  Working...
                  X