AUSCAM Yowie (Ghillie to the English)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUSCAM Yowie (Ghillie to the English)

This is made entirely by hand using a needle, thread and a pair of scissors!

I decided I wanted to keep the DPCU pattern and colours since it works so well in English Woodland, but wanted to add a little more of an edge to it since I am going to be taking up a sniping role once again. Now the human eye picks up the shape of a person before it even sees colours... so in order to camoflage better you need to break up the human silouete, which is wear ghillie suits come in. (or Jowies as the Aussies call them, referring to the Jowie monster)

I have had to make my own, as there seems to be no Auscam Suits made for sale, and this is the story of how it has been made. I wanted to keep it light, and not too hot to wear, also I didn't want to ghillie up the front, meaning I could use a chest rig should I choose to do so, and I have clear access to pockets and don't get myself tangled up. I also don't like the majority of ghillies for sale as they are too stringy for british woodland. We do not have vines hanging from trees, but BIG leaves, which is why I am using DPCU. I also didn't want to ghillie up my trousers, meaning I can still use drop leg holsters/pouches, and not get tangled up in short shrubbery.

I started by adding extra pockets to the front of a shirt (useful for storing small things), this meant sacrificing another shirt.

Removing the pockets

Pockets removed

Now this is where I want them

Pin the pocket upside down and above where you want them, meaning the stitching is hidden once finished

One pocket on

Both pockets on

Time to add the base of the ghillie, brown cargo net

This is sewn to the shirt

Now attach some green on top of the brown

And the shoulders

Back and arms all browned and greened

Shoulders, arms and stomach browned and greened

Time to add bits of cut up shirt on top

The more random the shapes the better

Just add it all over in random places, but you don't want to cover too much of the netting otherwise you may as well not have bothered with the different colours

I then added bits of DPCU scrim net

And now the same for the hat, but leaving a gap for the face

Then scrim for the face veil

Cut an eye slit in the veil, it doesn't need to be straight

Add some brown and green cargo netting, and some shirt material to the veil and voila!

Front

Back

Yet to be tested in the woods, I will be adding vegetation from the local area into the shirt which is why I have not gone mad with the materials. I will be testing very soon and will post the results.

Thank you for reading

Chris
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Re: AUSCAM Jowie (Ghillie to the English)

Now all you need to do is role it around in the dirt abit and never wash it .

I love seeing people make their own ghillie suits, its how it should be done..

Comment

All to come Scott, but well worth pointing out if anybody who reads this is unfamiliar with grubbing up.

I will be rolling it in some compost and then adding some local veg to fill it out a bit. And I hope it works in the british woodland, its nice and leafy which is what I wanted so fingers crossed!

As I mentioned earlier, most pre-made ghillies are too stringy, and go for the COD look... not ideal!
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Some quick testing took place today... lets play spot the Yowie Monster!

I was only 20ft away at my furthest point, the camera has 1x zoom.
        Last edited by crasstoe; 14 April, 2012, 12:12.
        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

That is brilliant. A really good make and good step by step guide, too.

I agree that nearly all of the ghillies you see at the moment look like dark spaghetti - this is more suitable, certainly for the woodland I'm familiar with.

Full marks!
          "They love it, they do, they love it"

Comment

Junglespy your feedback is much appreciated. Got any pointers or things you would change?

Once I have my rifle and give it the same treatment I will be testing it again... and then a test in a game
            www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

I honestly can't think of anything to improve it at the moment, obviously you've said you're going to dirty it up so that's covered.

Might be one of those things where you skirmish it and find out then that you need to make changes.
              "They love it, they do, they love it"

Comment

We shall see what I need to change in short time... in the meantime, here I am in each picture;

www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Ill agree that the ghillie has broken up your shape well, however it makes you stand out as its a whole lot darker than the surrounding vegetation.
                  While that might be okay while hiding behind some cover like you are above what is it going to be like when the cover is more sparse?
                  Have you thought about adding some hessian strips, cut from a sandbag for example?

Comment

I do need to add some lighter greens into it... never thought about the sandbags, I will investigate.

This was only a quick test, and I plan to test in more detail and in varying conditions once I have the rifle.

Thanks for the advice Nice Guy Andy
                    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Kudos on the jacket, I am a big fan of DPCU myself and I love the methodical approach. The only way I think you could improve on your design is, as Andy has stated is add lighter colours to further break up your shape as well as blend with the environment. Adding to this, I think elastic loops for natural vegetation would go down a treat.
                      Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                      It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Nun-Chuck View Post
                        Kudos on the jacket, I am a big fan of DPCU myself and I love the methodical approach. The only way I think you could improve on your design is, as Andy has stated is add lighter colours to further break up your shape as well as blend with the environment. Adding to this, I think elastic loops for natural vegetation would go down a treat.
                        I stitched in a couple of rubber bands and they did the job, just need to add more once I get back from work on Monday

As always your comments are appreciated
                        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Looks really good! I could only really spot you in the 2nd picture and even then I wasnt sure, just a generic dark blob.

Comment

That is awesome.

I had one given to me made by a guy who used it in Kosovo. It stank to high heaven as he REALLY grubbed it in.

I have since gifted it to a mate who was going for sniper selection. I have made several attempts to recreate one, but the fact is none matched up to the one i gave away.

Comment

The mystic blob, I've been firing at a blob and hitting it before thinking it was a person... Turns out it was a tree stump with some ivy on it

As always the feedback is appreciated

Loki, maybe time to make another?

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
                              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crasstoe Chris, 23, White, Male, 5'7 Find out more about crasstoe
                              Working...
                              X