Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Simple tactics transferable from paintball to help you stay alive longer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple tactics transferable from paintball to help you stay alive longer!

I used to be a pretty good paintballer, Div 1 MNPAL. Airball, not rec, I also used to be a 2nd officer on nuclear waste cargo ships so I've numerou rounds of training with special forces and PMCs. Presented here are some simple tricks and tips that will hopefully help you on your endeavours. Some of it may sound like common sense but the amount of people I've seen get called out when they shouldn't have is beyond counting.

1: First and foremost; keep tight.

Present your opponents with the smallest possible target, elbows down and tucked in. Do not duck wing! (number 1 place new 'ballers get hit!)

fig 1: The right way

fig 2: The wrong way

1a: When kneeling drop the knee on the same side as your trigger arm. This allows you to pop in and out of cover with minimal obstruction (see snap shooting) but also means you present less of a target by not having a knee stick out with you! (see fig one again)

1b: Try not to overload yourself or your weapon! try and keep extra pouches central, however I understand most of this is up to personal taste just try not to go overboard!

1c: Concealment isn't just about camo, it's how much of you your enemy can see!

2: Try and travel light. It's much easier to slip in to position when you're not lugging 150lbs worth of gear with you. Take what you know you need +20% redundancy. Again personal preference, just a tip.

3: Keep your gun up! The ONLY time it should be down is when you're running or you know it's safe. It sounds stupid but the time it takes to raise your gun to your eye and fire might have lost you the drop you had on the target. Learn to reload with your weapon up as well, bullpups are a bit harder to start with but so much easier when you have the tech down.

4: Train to be ambidextrous. I know you don't like fighting with your off hand but when you're on the corner opposite to what you're comfortable it'll be much healthier than trying to move your whole ass out of cover to take a shot. You don't have to be a perfect shot, just enough to keep their heads down while you move is sometimes more than enough.

5: DO NOT put fire on a barricade. Shoot over/next/ where ever your target is likely to come out from for some awesome hits.

6: Learn to "run and gun". I'm not talking about spraying and praying. Running and gunning is a skill where you train your body to become a steady platform even when running. Watch a break out from PSP or NPPL, they don't run like that for fun, they do it because it's low profile and gives them a steady platform. We're lucky because out guns are heavier and have stocks which limits wobble even more. see ollie lang in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGASSoCEdE

I'm sure I'll add more when I cba, but for now enjoy and stay alive longer!

Re: Simple tactics transferable from paintball to help you stay alive longer!

The weak side shooting is the one reason I use a one point sling, so I can move my rifle over to the weak side if needed for a few shots.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
    Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

7: Train to get out of the habit of kneeling. Kneeling is good when it's done the right way (see above) but in a cqb situation or when you need to move quickly it will waste precious seconds standing up. This is a f**king hard skill to master and it's hard to explain. It's a mix between a squat and a crouch.

It's not very comfortable but it gives you a steady platform where you don't need to bring your gun down and it's so much quicker than standing from a kneel.

8: Planning. It's hard to maintain tactics over the course of a game. People don't want orders and when the guns start firing everything goes out the window. I'm sure most people do this already but rather than have a rigid structure of how you think things should be done but instead try and set an objective that can be executed in various ways. People may surprise you with their own ingenuity.

9: COMMUNICATION!!!::: Talk to each other, if you're under fire let your team know where the enemy is before you die (dead men don't talk) at the very least it will help them not to get into the same position as you were just in. I understand on a giant open woodland game this might very well be ineffective but in a CQB if you know someone is behind a certain piece of cover let the men around you know so they don't run in and die. Also talking is great way to make friends and meet new people

10: "when weak appear strong, when strong appear weak" sun tzu said something like this. if you're the last one alive out of your squad, shout random stuff "andy! take them on the left!!" anything to distract them so you can reposition, dig in more or even get a nice shot, dry fire (bad Gair for suggesting it!) but the other guy might think you still have bbs left and keep his head down. You're all clever guys so you get the gist.

11: try and play as a team: it sounds simple and basic but it's more fun, more successful and more realistic. Even if it's you and two buddies, it's easier relying on them than just yourself.

13: Enjoy the game! even if you lose you're doing it because you enjoy it! Take hits, learn from it and give it to the guy next round!

Comment

Nice tips, but to be honest, when you have to start practicing squatting positions in your free time, I think its getting a little too serious!

Comment

Aye it does take time, it's why you only see the top pb teams doign it, but hey it's also a hell of a work out!

Comment

Originally posted by Gair333 View Post
            I used to be a pretty good paintballer, Div 1 MNPAL. Airball, not rec, I also used to be a 2nd officer on nuclear waste cargo ships so I've numerou rounds of training with special forces and PMCs.
            Offical Secrets act anyone?
            sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

I don't see how I'm breaking the OSA, everything on there is from my experiences as a paintballer, not as an officer on a private ship. There's nothing here that can be used to identify anyone other than myself and no techniques, secrets, identities or dates have been divulged in any way or form. I'm sure you'll find this post in it's entirety is compliant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Secrets_Act_1989

Comment

Not sure if walt... or just taking it too seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
                  Not sure if walt... or just taking it too seriously...
                  But.....Squats!

Comment

I really don't know what to make of this thread.

Most of the tips you've kindly shared are actually quite commonly practised and widely known anyway.

Also - I really fail to see the relevance of you training with SAS and PMC's?

Even if you have, you're coming out with some really simple tactics!

And thanks for that lovely photo of someone taking a shit on a carpet.
                    Last edited by welshwarrior; 2 May, 2012, 01:16.

Comment

I also used to be a 2nd officer on nuclear waste cargo ships so I've numerou rounds of training with special forces and PMCs.
                      everything on there is from my experiences as a paintballer, not as an officer on a private ship.
                      Then why mention it?

If what you've written has nothing to do with you working on a Ship and 'Training with SAS and PMC's', then why mention it at all?

Ok if you have, but if it's got nothing to do with the tactics you've just shared then its hardly relevant to the topic is it.

Comment

Tactics was perhaps the wrong word, more of tips and tricks. And while more experienced people may very well practice much of this, the new guys probably won't. If I was starting from scratch I certainly wouldn't have known any of this. These are things people can take with them to the next game, most of them any way that don't require any special training or skill. Simple stuff that will help them get more out of the game.

I don't know what a walt is? I have an idea that it's someone who takes things too seriously?

Comment

Haters gonna hate. Potaters gonna potate.

Comment

I agree with Pan, Haters gona hate,

Thanks for the tips, I agree for newer players they would be very handy, even for regulars its good to remind us.
                            AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
                            http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

The poor chap was only trying to help. a Sharks ability to detect potential prey has nothing on some of the fine fine fellows on here, damned good they are at it.

If it helps, the Mrs tells me I am 2nd Officer Domestic Engineer grade?

Anyway, I think as above from the mighty Beef, thanks for the tips, a reminder is never a bad thing and is good for new chaps.

Oh, a 'Walt' as in Walter Mitty as in I've seen the Battle of Britain ergo, I was in the Battle of Britain, that sort of thing. There are some superb ones knocking about.
                              Problems? Problems? There is no problem I cannot solve with this...

++ Attributed to Mad Chainsword Johnson, Commander of the White Scars ++

"Systema owners are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in larger numbers"
                              Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gair333 Perfection is often hard to achieve, yet some people attain it. I am not one of those people, sadly. As the Deli Llama once said "Be excellent to each other". Find out more about Gair333
                              Working...
                              X