Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares WA2000 Review

Had this rifle a while now so I thought I would put my review on here to
    This review was done when I first got it, I have added some parts to it (bits in bold) that i have come across in my time of ownership of the rifle.

In the box !
    OK so in the box you get the gun (yep, really) the bipod, fake magazine and three dummy rounds. that's it.
    There is no manual but an exploded diagram can be found on the Ares website.

First Impression
    This thing is nice, great feel very solid and lighter than i expected at just under 20lb
    the wood is what I believe to be walnut and the rest of the body is metal which I think is aluminum

Features
    It is completely ambidextrous with the bolt handle on both sides as is the safety and the cheek piece can be switched to the other side
    The but pad is adjustable for height and length, as if it isn't long enough at 96cm anyway.
    The scope rail is raised of the body but you WILL need high scope mounts to be able to see anything I still struggle now but I think that's down to the fact I have to wear glasses and have to tilt my head a bit further than normal :/

The bad / damn right stupid
    The first really bad thing is the magazine, it's a stick type mag, but you don't load them into the stick unless you want bb's everywhere!
    you have to load them into the hand guard then put the stick mag in
    it holds around 50 but i wouldn't load more than 40, also when you think your out, your not! it's like a hicap were the last 4-6 bb's don't feed and is frankly a pain in the ass.
    Finally the is a slight creek when the cheek rest is on the left side (for right handed shooting) and can be annoying
    oh, and it is damn uncomfortable.

not terrible faults but things that could have been made better, MUCH better!

performance
    Now what most of you have been waiting for.
    I was out on a range (built for real .22 shooting) which goes out to 100m
    bearing in mind I had no scope, I was impressed. It ​ Doesn't reach 90+m out of the box like some one mentioned
    which is to be expected for a stock rifle.
    But, it was shooting a nice 60, 65m accurately, shooting at a 1m by 1m target 9/10 hit but I don't know on the groupings and the hop probably hasnt had time to bed in I will say it could hit a man size target at 70m Think I exaggerated abit there
    FPS is unknown but many people say it's around the 360-380 mark and is compatible with vsr parts!! Was actually around 330, has dropped to 290
    overall I am more than happy with it's performance. was, but rather disappointing now

After a few months of use the performance has dropped and become quite poor, fps has dropped to sub 200's and it doesn't have enough power to send the heavier beebs that it needs, hop up is very effective but there just isn't enough power to compliment it with heavier rounds.

Good
    -great feel and build quality
    -realistic trades
    -IMO rather impressive performance - has dropped significantly after a few months
    -vsr compatible parts
    -unique
    -the look...well, it's gorgeous

Bad
    -AWFUL magazine design
    -heavy for some
    -un-realistic bolt action
    -realistic disassembly (yes this is a bad thing)
    You have to pretty much remove EVERYTHING to get to the guts of this thing, 49 screws I counted had to be removed before I had access to the cylinder!

I am going to say that this isn't a good rifle out of the box, it needs upgrading, like most do, luckily it is vsr compatible. I have on order a laylax 150 spring and ASPUK high pressure piston and steel spring guide.
    The sears are strong enough already so they wont need replacing (from what I've read) I am also going to try my A+ REAPS rubber in it.
    Testing will be done on Sunday 13th if all the parts arrive

The hole in the scope cover was just to see how strong it was...:P

Any feedback would be good
    Traded with me? please leave feedback as will I http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=104161

Re: Ares WA2000 Review

What did it cost you? Can you detail here your upgrades to return it to its former glories?

Comment

It was a gift from my brother, he got it second hand not sure on the price though, he was very hesitant to give it to me, between £250-£300 I thin, don't quote me though.
      The previous owner had never used it (as far as i know) he thought it was too heavy, he did attack with some krylon though!!!!! don't ask, I can't even think about it cheapest i've seen it is £375 new, google is your friend or PM if you want

Upgrades haven't been installed yet but a laylax 150 spring is on order along with a steal spring guide and high pressure piston made by a rival retailer. drop the initials I put above into Google and it will lead you the way If it helps I ordered the spring from Zero one

I will post my results soon
      Traded with me? please leave feedback as will I http://www.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=104161

Comment

After having this thing apart again today I have come across a few more things.
        First of, the hop rubber seems much better made than an original TM one, it also feels as if it's made from harder rubber.
        The hop arm is shorter than that of a vsr, and. much to my delight, insted of 2 prings that push down on the rubber it is just one solid piece, much like the Danger works type B vsr hop lever.
        The outer barrel is actually attached to the hop unit, can only be removed by taking apart the unit.
        The cylinder head seems slightly different to a normal vsr one but I can't say for sure if they are or not.
        The spring guide feels very fragile, even more so than a vsr one, I would seriously consider getting a replacement, I'm not going to see if it will withstand high power as it's such a pig to dissemble if it doesn't.

Did I mention it's a pig to disassemble :P

Comment

So only the spring arrived in time fore my game I had today.
          I thought stuff it and installed it with stock internals, the only bits that should break are the bit's I have on order anyway so hell.
          It took a while to install as there were a few problems with the spring stopper lining up properly, any way I managed to get it in Saturday night.
          Took it for a game today and the so called 500 fps spring was giving out 381, 382, 378, 271 (dunno what happened there?) and then 380.
          Anyone got any ideas why? I am 100% certain everything is installed properly. It didn't really bother me as it was shooting really nicely, I just had a hard time sighting In my green .36's :/ Anyway I was hitting the end of the sight range every shot which is 50m give or take. I only had one confirmed kill in the morning and that was 75m first shot center mass. (walked of by the guy himself :D ) Quite happy. I'm still baffled by the spring though, any ideas? I know FPS isn't the be all and end all but if I'm limited by 30m engagement distance I might as well push for it, no? It is shooting slightly high and to the right but I have run out of adjustment room on my scope, doesn't really bother me though.

It's still in full working order too :D

Comment

your losing air somewhere mate check for air loss and use ptfe tape to cover the leaks

Comment

i know eaxtcly where the wa2000 is sold for 375.nvc

Comment

Originally posted by jc1992 View Post
                your losing air somewhere mate check for air loss and use ptfe tape to cover the leaks
                cheers man will get some this week!

Any comment's on the review? good? bad? utter sh*t? :P

Comment

I have one piece of every production WA2K and the Ares performance wise is the worst and has the most dangerous mag of guns I've seen! You never really know when it's empty and the only VSR compatible parts are in the cylinder everything else is proprietary!

It's a nice wall hanger as it has the best trademarks also the external quality is pretty good but you can't compare it with the Asahi version but it's better than the Geneth version.

I bought it 250 euros brand new and it was a bargain, I've only fired around 250 bbs and I've seen the performance drop with every shot!!

Wolf

Asahi WA2000
                  WTB Piper Minigun

Comment

I agree from stock it isn't great and get's worse over use.
                    The new spring I put in seems to have bought It back nicely, After finding some PTFE tape in the shed and putting some around the barrel and cylinder head the FPS shot up to 520!!!! WTF? that seems an awful lot for just abit of tape?

Wolf, I'm sure it isn't as good as the ones you mentioned but they do cost 3, 4? times as much, if you can find one.
                    Also the hop, rubber and barrel are kind-of propitiatory, but you can fit a normal vsr barrel, I tried it today and it worked fine, I am now running a laylax 6.03 and nineball rubber, It's shooting even straighter The sears are compatible, not that they need replacing. It just isn't compatible with zero triggers.
                    Also, I wouldn't call it a dangerous mag, It's acts the same as a high-cap in a way, the last 4 or so BB's don't feed so you load some more.
                    It's a bloody annoying mag but hardly dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by MilataryMupet View Post
                      Also, I wouldn't call it a dangerous mag, It's acts the same as a high-cap in a way, the last 4 or so BB's don't feed so you load some more.
                      It's a bloody annoying mag but hardly dangerous.
                      You're wrong... Try to move it around and you'll see it will load and another bb and another..
                      From the time I thought I fired the last bb I fired at least another 12!!
                      I almost shoot my friend from point blank! That's why I say it's dangerous, you never really know when it's empty!

Wolf

Asahi WA2000
                      WTB Piper Minigun

Comment

Fair enough, I just re-load when it stops firing and then when the game is finished I poor them out of the gun back into the pot :D

Comment

good review although i expected it to be a really good gun:-( di9d you ever find and fix the air leak?

Comment

I did mate, added some PTFE tape around the cylinder head and the hop/barrel. I also changed the o-ring as I must have pinched it as I put it back together which may have been the problem over all? but it is shooting at 520fps now!!
                            It isn't a great gun from stock no, which is a shame but essentially it's a VSR in a body kit. depends whether or not it's worth it to you individually or not.
                            Also, as being the only affordable (more so than above mentioned) and readily available WA2k out there, Ares don't have to worry that much about loosing sales so they wont make improved models, and that ares aren't best known for performance reliability ect.
                            I am happy with it now though, performance is good after a few upgrades but it has no advantage over a vsr despite looks, that's up to you if it's worth it or not?

Comment

So can you confirm which aftermarket parts are definitely compatible with vsr after market parts?
                              Inner barrel, hop rubber, spring - what else?
                              I'm starting my internals in two weeks along with stippling the wood in the correct places.
                              AP.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

MilataryMupet I'm the "fuc**ng kid with the axe" :P Find out more about MilataryMupet
                              Working...
                              X