Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
    Very much interested in all the 'small wars' really but in particular Borneo and Malaya.

The main purpose for throwing that impression together was that we recently did a 'cold war gets hot' weekender set in Afghanistan during a global WWIII and we had 'sas' advisors among the Muj forces. I was trying to show the chaps the sort of stuff that was popular with the regiment in the late 70s and early 80s when the were in arid areas.

Interesting, you dont see many Borneo or Malaya impressions around which is a pity. Im a fan of Borneo too, but id say my interests are mainly 70s-early 90s so Malaya is something that i always overlook. Would be good to cover the entire cold war period at some point.

That game sounds like a laugh & to think some of that scenario has already happened for real!
    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
      May I also add Tony Jeapes book "Op Storm".
      I got a copy of the book yesterday mate, been a long time since i had a look through the pictures. Interesting to see black handguards & stocks on the L1A1s in this time & also them using the 72 pattern bergen, most pictures have them with the old P42 style rucksacks.
      Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

At some stage I'll dig some of Hawke Snr's pictures out. He was in Borneo, Malaya and did a spell in Oman in 1974 (he still refers to it as The Oman) Another good reference point is "Where Soldiers Fear to Tread" by Ran Fiennes. My copy belonged to my maternal grandma - my dad hates Fiennes with a passion which I've never got to the root of.
        Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Nice one, yeah those would be good to see. Ive got a few more Oman impressions in mind, so hopefully in the near future ill post them up. The pictures in Jeapes' book has given me a couple more ideas.

Comment

I've got most of the core of my Malaya kit.

Waiting via ebay for a repro 44 pattern bush hat at the mo. Impossible to get in my size (60) these days in original.

Hardest thing to find was the calf high extended 'converse' style jungle boots.

Comment

Lovin' the Old School look on these threads to the point where I've bought an M16VN/A1 and some Brit Lightweight OD Trousers and Shirt when, coupled with my hybrid Pattern 58/M56 webbing will go towards a 70's Brit Impression.

Will post pics as and when I have all the gear, but it won't look anywhere near as good as the pics already posted.
              sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfish View Post
                but it won't look anywhere near as good as the pics already posted.
                Nice one mate, will be good to see another Oman impression. Not at all, we all have to start somewhere & go from there & the lads werent all decked out in rare gucci kit, so what ever you do don't let that put you off.

...So go for it

Comment

Well I just bought a Patt 58 compass pouch and a cheap Prismatic Compass to go in it.

My webbing consists of a Pattern 58 Belt, Yoke, Bino Pouch w/vintage Bino's, Water Bottle Pouch modded with a fastex clip, M56 Ammo pouches x 3 and an M56 Butt Pack.

Uniform is Lightweight Brit OD's with all black US WELLCO Jungle Boots, and I have some tan coloured WW2 US gaiters which I was contemplating adding, but not sure if that would be in the spirit of guys bartering/swapping and just basically grabbing hold of whatever they felt did the job, of if would ruin the look I'm going for.

Opinions?
                  sigpic

Comment

Aye, id say its entirely up to you mate. It all depends on how much you want to go accuracy wise. I would just immerse yourself in as much reference material as possible & create your own loadout from them-thats what i did. Yeah what you have seems good to kick off with, though (& its just my opinion) id ditch the gaiters. Not for Oman.

Comment

Yeah...wasn't sure about the gaiters. Will leave them out.

It's just going to be an impression rather than anything worthy of re-enactment like yours tho Rusty.

Will post pics as and when I have all my gubbins together
                      sigpic

Comment

Cool, yeah i think it would be for the best leaving em out. If i were doing a loose impression heres what id go with:

1. A pair of lightweights
                        2. GS Shirt
                        3. 44/58 pattern webbing: 58 Belt, 58 Harness (optional) 58 left & right ammo pouch, 58 water bottle pouch & possibly a couple of 44 pattern water bottle pouches.
                        4. green bush hat, green/red shemagh or dpm crap hat
                        5. old school desert boots, or dms boots

Thats a basic & decent start from scratch if you're either not looking to be out a lot of money or get too carried away with it.

Hope it helps & looking forward to seeing the pictures

Comment

Here's a pic of the webbing to be going on with.....Patt 58 harness, Bino Pouch w/vintage Bino's, Copmpass Pouch (soon to be filled with a cheap army style prismatic compass) and water bottle pouch with M56 Butt Pack and M67 Ammo Pouches and a good ole' Brit Right Angle Torch

I might have to change the Butt Pack for Patt58 Kidney Pouches, and whilst I'm aware that the M67 Pouches are a bit Yank, I much prefer them to the Patt58 left/right pouches as they hold the mags tighter (Hate mags bouncing around in my gear when running/ambling)

sigpic

Comment

With your belt kit & AR15 you also have the basis for a Falklands Special Forces impression too Alls you need is a dpm windproof smock & dpm trousers of some sort, with a woolly hat/balaclava & youre good to go.

Comment

Sorry to be "anal"(hate using that term!!!!)Hellfish but those US pouches arent M67 but the later Alice LC-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Mcann View Post
                                Sorry to be "anal"(hate using that term!!!!)Hellfish but those US pouches arent M67 but the later Alice LC-1.
                                Bugger. Never mind eh? It's still within the time period in question and my attempt is just meant to be a loose budget impression!
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
                                Working...
                                X