East German (DDR) Cold War Loadouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East German (DDR) Cold War Loadouts

I am just finalising my East German Loadout which has taken me some time due to find large sizes.

Does anyone else have any pics of themselves in an East German Loadout?

Mine consists of
    Strichtarn Jacket
    Strichtarn Trousers
    DDR Ushanka
    DDR Helmet with Strichtarn helmet cover
    DDR Belt with AK Ammo Pouches.

Re: East German (DDR) Cold War Loadouts

Aye, this is all 1975 era Strictarn FDA (field service uniform), AEG is a bit off but the DDR did use Russians 47 s in the early days before the domestic variants were pretty much universal.

Trousers hang a little low as they really need braces and my NVA braces were on my winter FDA at the time as they actually fall down without braces and id been wearing them in the snow

And I wore it all for a cover shoot a bit ago too.

Comment

Nice kit

Mine is a bit more ratty, collected from random sources.. and circa 1983 rather then 1970's.. I'm wearing it here :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNBa...ure=plpp_video

But Its still in the cupboard... along with my 2003 German Tropentarn kit and 2005 issue Flecktarn woodland kit

Comment

Has your jacket got elasticated cuffs? Thats interesting. Para ones have knitted cuffs and the usual sort button up. Any idea what branch of service its from?

Nice loadout btw.

Comment

always wanted this load out, and have been losing weight to try and get to a size of kit available (1stone few to go still >_< )
          currently got few bits and bobs of webbing and such nothing really major yet.
          seen a bloke at one of the midlands site was a player marshal i think he was all in ddr looked brilliant why did they all have to be stick thin >_<

hoarder of ksc glocks currently 11+ parts and counting

Comment

18 year old conscripts from a country that didnt have a fast food industry and an institutionalised youth sports programme i guess

There used to be loads of it in large sizes but it was bought up in part by collectors but a lot of it was shipped to the Balkans to equip merc and militia units when the embargo was on disguised as 'clothing aid'.

You'll see no end of NVA kit, especially the padded winter suit being worn in kosovo and bosnia

Comment

NVA equpiment mainly went to Croatia (traditional German allies) and you see a lot of 91-93 in particular Croat militias in Strichtarn jackets and with helmet covers etc. There are even pictures of muj/taliban in Afghanistan sporting it.

Nice loadout, don't forget:
              -Sturmpack
              -Zeltbahn shelter
              -Gas mask bag
              -NBC suit
              -Oh and the entrenching tool!
              Signature Removed

Comment

I've got all those but the ABC suit is a real PITA to wear on your yoke

You can see the strap of the respirator bag in the last pic, not entirely happy with my entrenching tool as its an engineers model and i really want a standard infantry one.

Comment

I am going to try mine out at F&O Upper Heyford to be a bit different.

Comment

strichtarn 010.jpg

strichtarn 011.jpg

I have adapted my Strichtarn helmet cover to fit an M88 Viper helmet

Comment

For any particular impression or just because you had the two knocking about?

Personally I love the shape of the DDR M56 helmet. They were actually the best designed steel helmet in history with regards to ballistic protection... just superseded by more modern materials but if you *had* to have a steel helmet in a warzone its apparently the one to have.

Originally a 1944 design to replace the classic WWII 'coalscuttle' helmet but rejected by Hitler as 'un-germanic'. When the Soviet Union establised the NVA in response to NATO arming West Germany they took the design out of storage. But if WWII had gone on a few more years you might have seen an odd combination of those helmets and 'liebermuster' camo (that looks a lot like swiss alpenflage) on German infantry.

Comment

went to the http://www.tankstrucksandfirepower.co.uk/ show on Saturday hunted around the stalls and found some ddr cammos tried it on and to my amazement they fitted, nice to see the diet worked. =) so i snapped them up for just top for £7.50 and bottoms for £10 much cheaper that i could find ebay

got home dug out some bits and a random helmet from the shead. need some more webbing from the lockup and a ddr helmet and ill be set

hoarder of ksc glocks currently 11+ parts and counting

Comment

Looking good, i'd undo the top button though, they were almost never worn buttoned all the way up, the idea was so you could see the collar liner that was always worn

Comment

Hallo, fellow wearers of the "ein/nein strict" I can see Gadge Europa is getting the gag and meddy is in need of some assistance, but we all start somewhere and you have tried, that is enough to begin with.

For openers try and look like this,

This Soldat would be armed with a MPi KM the curved magazine pouch being of an older pattern to the straight ones he is carrying a Modell 59 Bayonet suitable for the MPi KM.

If you are a cartoon.

How a Motor Rifles Soldat would load his personal equipment.

What the Gruppeführer carries.

A Grenztruppen Postenführer carries.

What the second man of his Post carries.

How you move a Weapon system when about during Rifle Drill.

If you like, I can be of assistance.

If you do I can sort out the different styles of Equipment, what is carried and wher also variations in uniform and pointers on the style had culture of the NVA.

It is a complex difficult subject, but if you get the Uniform on right with the style it lends itself to you will look the DB's.

Regards.
                            Last edited by Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah.; 2 September, 2012, 16:19.

Comment

Excellent reference, cheers for that!

I still need to pick up a curved ammo pouch, i've since got an AKM type bayonet.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Captain Poopdecker Find out more about Captain Poopdecker
                              Working...
                              X