Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

1980s British Army rifle platoon (understrenght)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980s British Army rifle platoon (understrenght)

As you dont get to see this many SLRs in one place here's a pic of our team/platoon the 'Royal Union Rifles'

We're a fictional British Army of the Rhine unit and try and keep all out kit around the 1980-85 mark so it's all about right for Falklands games too.

As you can see there's a big variation in kit still (as there was in the real units in the field)

Our cap badge

Always taking on new members btw so PM me if you're interested and maybe one day we'll be at full strength!

Re: 1980s British Army rifle platoon (understrenght)

Excellent! Finally someone to run a "platoon" properly, with pretty much all the same dress and rifles! - I'm hoping to get a RAF regiment platoon started!
    Don't mock my randomness - I'm just having a laugh!

Comment

We have about 25 guy in the team/platoon but the reality is that the most we ever get an event is about 16 of us.

Be awesome if we can all get to an event at some point!

Comment

i am sure my combined ops team might beable to make a showing at some point lol (we do all the fun units such as 148 battery, 9 para RE etc)
        Do Something Brave....Then Run Like Hell!
        ::Yorkshire Airsoft:: http://www.yorkshireairsoft.co.uk
        ::Cold War Warriors 1985 - 1995:: http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com/

Comment

need to get some more 80's tash's going lol

The Impossible i can do, Miracles take slightly longer .
          But all problems are solved with a brew and a fag.

Comment

And some ropey, first off the line SA80A1s with gaffa tape holding the handguards on.
            - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Originally posted by Olphy View Post
              And some ropey, first off the line SA80A1s with gaffa tape holding the handguards on.
              Them 1's are like rocking horse poo very hard to come by lol

Comment

I used to have one, but my lady wasnt that amused....

Comment

Gadge, a technical question if I may? When did the Army move on to the S10 ressie over the S6? I'm looking to set up some kit based a bit later 1988 BOAR and am trying to work through some of the details. I apologize for this bit of thread hijacking.

Comment

Thats ok.

It seems that the 80s were a massively transitional period.

83/84 sees the high leg boot supercede the DMS and puttees
                    84/85 sees the 85 pattern issue phase in an is universally hated.
                    85/86 See the advent of the MK6 helmet
                    1987 Sees the very first sa80s go out on trials (88 they start appearing in NI)

and *about* this time you start to see s10 appear. It also appear to have been issued on mass but interestingly (well for saddos like me anyway) the ressie pouch was the S6 type until about 1990 which meant the mask was deformed slighly in storage (its standard drills not to store your mask for any length of time in the haversack, this might be why). To my knowledge the 1990 olive PLCE kit was designed specifically to carry S10.

1988 BAOR would typically be Boots Combat High, 85 (or 68 if you hung onto it) pattern combats, 58 Webbing, and L85a1/L86 with a MKVI helmet.

Somewhere in the house I have the MOD documetation for instruction on the use, repair an issue of the S10. I'm pretty sure thats dated 88 but i'd have to dig it out to check.

As with all things in stores though it can take years for stuff to go from 'issue' to actually being in lads hands... normally they like to use existig stocks of old kit up but i think with rifles and ressies it was done 'en masse'

Edit: much as i'm loathe to use it wikipedia seems to think they were first issued in 86 which would fit in with my view of the being a general issue in 87. I can imagine a few battalions field trialing them in 86 as thats what happened with the rifle.

Comment

Thank you for that and thanks as well for the immensely helpful additional information!

Comment

i joined up in 89 and even tho being TA got issued a s10 and mk6 helmet straight away

Comment

A lot of new Armour and AT was procured in that time as well, Warrior, Chally, LAW80. Anyone would have thought there was a war on.
                          - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy View Post
                            Gadge, a technical question if I may? When did the Army move on to the S10 ressie over the S6? I'm looking to set up some kit based a bit later 1988 BOAR and am trying to work through some of the details. I apologize for this bit of thread hijacking.
                            We was issued the S10 over the S6 in 1987, which obviously came with the changes to the waterbottle and the helmet. Also a change from green NBS pullover the top NBC suit to the newer DPM velcro opening NBC suits.

Comment

Looks Cracking Gadge. As i was just saying, its all a million miles away from me. But if theres any honorary positions in 'The Rifles', count me in
                              Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gadge Europa Find out more about Gadge Europa
                              Working...
                              X