Whats A Good Bright Torch ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats A Good Bright Torch ?

I'll second all the lenser shouts. I've had a P7 for the last three years and use it for airsoft, camping, night walks, bike rides, photography and loads of other stuff... Abuse the hell out of it and am just about to put it's 3rd set of batteries (4xAAA) in! Fits into 30mm scope mounts, is brighter than its lumens rating suggests and has zero dull spots in the beam, so wherever the zoom setting is- you have a full flood... In addition, it is bombproof and has a pressure switch available... Definitely recommend.
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
      Torch strobe modes are not engineered to cause epileptic seizures.

1 in 4000 people are susceptible to photosensitive epilepsy and torch manufacturers avoid the high threat frequencies and often incorporate a strobe frequency break to lessen the odds even more.

It is yet again one of those myths that do the rounds frequently. .
      The other posible thing is they do trigger photo sensitive migraines. Ive had that happen a couple of times. Thing is when this happens i cant drive home due to migraines.
      Trader Feedback http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14606

Comment

I have a ultrafire 1000lum torch my god it bright uses strange battery's but great solid torch
        Bought from the bay of E from Hong Kong fully marked up and bulb marked up easy spares and quite cheap on spares such as new led cost about £10 (did take 4-5 weeks to turn up!!!)
        Hope it helps
        Originally posted by bulldoguk
        Short barreled version so I can class it as a CQB right?
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]75861[/ATTACH]

Comment

UPDATE - I played my zombie shoot at the weekend and I ended up swapping the led that came with my SureFire into my new torch as the led in my new one was just nowhere near as bright. At the end of the day, I payed just under 40 pounds and it came with the pressure pad, batteries and a mount so I guess the torch itself was not dear but there you go :D
          MAGPUL MASADA - 5 BURST SHOTGUN - SL9 FOR SALE

Comment

I have had an LED Lenser T7 for a while, which I was given.

It's always performed well but I have only just realised that you can focus it.....

Also noticed that the pressure pad kit is not too expensive.
            Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
            Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

i bought an ultrafire cree 1000 lumin from china (most likely fake).for like £13.99 came with pressure pad. i run mine on the c123a batteries and its litterally blinding! it will light up and room even underground bunkers as if the sun was shinning!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Hello ladies & gents,
                Apologies for the necro post.

Figured I'd keep this in one place.

I'm looking for a torch with pressure pad & rail mounts myself and the Ultra Fire price range is quite appealing.
                Is it me being tired & totally useless at eBay or do they not sell replacement bulbs for their Ultra Fire torch ranges? (and knowing my luck, I'll deffinately need replacement bulbs)
                Also, what lumen power would be enough to light up a room/hallway clearly without blinding the opponents into heaven if pointed at them?

Thankyou.

Comment

Depends on how the manufacturer 'measures' lumens. I find that 200 actual lumens (from in front of lens) is more than enough for all situations... These cheap Chinese torches with high lumens are subjective as to their true power, their ratings are taken from the chip...
                  Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                  If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Basically you are looking for an 'out the front' rating or ANSI rating.
                    If you have a higher budget, olight M20 warrior is awesome, 320 out the front, strobe, 3 settings, good battery life and tail caps and mounts are available for them. Or you could just use a 25mm scope ring like I have.
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

One of the places I might be going to doesn't allow strobe torches.

- - - Updated - - -

And since my work schedule isn't Mon-Fri week to week, I want to be able to go anywhere if needs be without having different kit for different sites.

Comment

A few things you need to know about surefire 6P (and variant) clones (as those are the most common torches) - I'll be covering most of these in a review on my blog in the next day or two, all the photos are already taken.

I have 2 ultrafire and 1 solarforce torch - between that candlepowerforums and budgetlightforums I've pieced together a rough working knowledge of these things:

The Solarforce L2 is a direct clone of the Surefire 6P - it will cost you about 18 quid for the body and 12 quid for a bulb (I'll get onto bulbs in a minute). It is fully compatible and very well made. You can get a better version, the L2p which has a hard-anodized finish - many users on candlepower seem to reckon it's pretty much the best value for money host (the bit that holds the bulb/batteries, essentially the body) - beating the surefire 6P hands down.

The L2 is fully compatible with the 6P, so you have no worries there.

Ultrafire are a bit less reliable - they make a range of different specification bodies.

The UF-762 is their one with a built in rail mount (I believe its a clone of the surefire M620), and while the head assembly is compatible with the 6P and L2, the tail cap is very much not compatible, which is a shame. It will cost about 22 quid with a bulb and pressure pad. (The pressure pad will be crap though).

Ultrafire's C1 is supposedly surefire 6P compatible but I don't know.

My advise would be get a solarforce L2 and a solarforce rail mount, and then get an Ultrafire Cree XM-L T6 bulb (known as a drop-in). This drop-in is (again, from what I've seen on those two torch forums) one of the best budget drop-ins money can buy. It's F*** off bright. Run it of 2xCR123a batteries, or the rechargeable equivalents, called 16340s. CR123as won't last long with this bulb, but rechargeables will last even less time, so it's up to you. I personally use rechargeables as I can carry 6 spare in my m4's stock.

Solarforce produce a wide range of accessories, including QD rail mounting extension tubes (You'll need bigger batteries), pressure switch tailcaps (not surefire quality without a bit of modding, but good enough), combo tailcaps (getting myself one), ridiculously aggressive looking head assemblies (also getting one) and many other things.

My Ultrafire pressure switch tailcap broke almost instantly, as the wire is such poor quality. You also need to have hands like a vice to switch the thing on. The solarforce one is beautifully easy to press, and hard to accidentally press. The wire is also much better quality.

Last thing - on drop-ins: cheap drop-ins normally come in 1 mode, 3 mode or 5 mode. 1 mode is on full power, 3 mode is lo-med-hi, 5 mode is lo-med-hi-sos-strobe.

If your using a pressure switch with cheap drop-ins then I'd say go for a 1 mode bulb straight off, you'll just accidentally cycle modes using a pressure switch (which is a pain).

The drop-in i mentioned above (The Ultrafire XM-L T6) name can be broken down into stages - Ultrafire produce the whole assembly, XM-L is the model of LED that is used (made by CREE), T6 is the bin - when CREE make the LEDs they test them to see what output they produce, T6 is bright, U2 is pretty much the brightest, all measured at the same current. The XM-L bulb delivers an unfocused beam that is painful to look at even in strong daylight.

If you fancy something a bit more... precise, then I'd recommend an Ultrafire XR-E bulb - its not as powerful or bright, but produces a strong spot still visible in daylight. It makes a much better aiming torch
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Thankyou for the detailed input mate!

Comment

Originally posted by AtR View Post
                            One of the places I might be going to doesn't allow strobe torches.

- - - Updated - - -

And since my work schedule isn't Mon-Fri week to week, I want to be able to go anywhere if needs be without having different kit for different sites.
                            Understandable, you would still be able to use it because the strobe is a separate function.
                            section 24 of the 1968 Act
                            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Im using a Solarforce and its really sturdy, for budget torches, i cant fault them
                              Damn Brad, what else you got hidden in the humvee - a fat chick?

Comment

Failing my above post if you have a celcius or equivalently priced weapon that you want to sell get this:

And stick this drop-in in it:

Then drop 50 quid on batteries. 2500 Ansi lumens out the front, 2nd degree burns if you touch the front whilst switched on, if switched on for longer than 20 seconds or so it vaporises itself.

And your opponents will be sat still for ten minutes while their eyes recover...
                                Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Auto Freak Find out more about Auto Freak
                                Working...
                                X