Review of the G&G CM16 Gas Blowback gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Review of the G&G CM16 Gas Blowback gun

I can kind ofunderstand C02, but GBB rifles not being allowed is a bit harsh. I know GBB velocities are more subject to ambient temperature but it is my understanding that all sites chrono? So if a GBBR passes chrono, what's the problem?

Comment

Which site is this, so I know to avoid it?

90% of my guns are gas powered, and I'd rather not be forced into using my backup AEG.

In addition, an update on my findings with this rifle...

When I first skirmished it, I had 2 mags. 5 mins into the first game of the day, one mag had the piece that holds the BB's into the rifle ping off just as I was about to put it in the gun - meaning all 30 rounds flew up out of it and went everywhere. One mag useless.

5 minutes later I was firing at a target, switched from semi to full to lay a few suppressing bursts down and when I pulled the trigger it made a "putting" noise and jammed. I removed the mag, looked inside the hop - nothing there. So I checked the mag - no fault I could see (and as I repair/upgrade WE GBBR's for people I know what I'm looking for) - so I put it back in the rifle, tried again. Nothing.

Out came the mag, I pulled the trigger in case it was the mechanism and returned the mag to the rifle, I re-cocked it - nothing. Out comes the mag, still nothing I can see. Return it to the rifle, re-cock. Now it fires. 1 shot. On auto. Just one shot. The rifle did cycle and it definitely re-cocked itself. So I flick to semi - get a few shots from it with effort. Switch back to auto, get another single shot from it. Pull the trigger - nothing. Out came the mag, still nothing. Put it back in, re-cocked it. Now on auto it fired a 2 round burst then stopped. Then maybe a half a dozen rounds with one single trigger pull. Then nothing. Then it just jammed up completely and that was it.

I told the retailer I bought it from about it, seems like they'd had similar issues with other rifles, as they accepted what I told them immediately and said I didn't need to prove it to them when I offered (I have a GoPro which I was wearing at the time) and said to send it back to them and they'd offer a full refund.

Which I did, and true to their word they did. Shame really as up to that point it seemed like an impressive rifle.

That said, I will point out one last fact - the rifle I had came from a first generation batch - I am told some of these 1st gen ones had issues, and that G&G are doing a 2nd Gen (which might be out already, I've not looked into it as this happened at the end of last year) which apparently fix all of these issues.

Just a note of caution to anyone who might be considering getting one of these.

Last edited by DanBeresford; 1 April, 2013, 00:52.
      Armoury: VFC SCAR L, VFC SCAR H SSR, VFC Mk13 EGLM, KWA Vector, TM VSR-10, WE HK416, WE AKS74UN, WE SCAR L x2, DE M56 + M56B, Maruzen M1100 + M870, LaZouche Custom Shop Colt Mk.IV Series 70, TM 1911 MEU, TM 1911 Desert Warrior, TM Desert Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by DanBeresford View Post
        Which site is this, so I know to avoid it?

90% of my guns are gas powered, and I'd rather not be forced into using my backup AEG.
        As his location says near Peterborough, i expect it is Urban Assault, as they don't allow them for some unknown reason. I was exploring possibilities for sites near my parent's, found UA's website, saw that and immediately disregarded it now that my main rifle is Gas, which is a shame as it was about the only site in that area i could get to easily -__-
        Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

thought i'd add my two cents as i've had the GHK GBB Box since it came out last year, and recently bought a G&G gearbox of a fellow froum member for spares, so i thought i'd do a comparison of the two to show the differences between G&G's version of the gearbox from the original GHK.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, just thought it might be useful to add to this thread

At first glance the two gearboxes (to help the GHK box is the one with the polished bolt carrier), the molding and material of the shell is identical

the top half of the G&G geabox has had additional screws added to hold the bolt carrier, a negligible improvement but probably strengthens the top sectioin in the long run.

first major difference is the inclusion of a lip at the end of the bolt carrier, so that it can catch the dust cover so it opens when the rifle is cocked, one of annoying part of the original GHK design as it meant the dust cover had to be permanently open, and if you closed it by accident you had to strip the rifle down to re-open it.

the second difference is the G&G bolt carrier has two drilled holes in the bottom, GHK doesnt.

Unfortunately i'm not sure if the spring in the G&G box had been modified by its previous owner, so i can't really compare that part, it looked like it had a coil or two trimmed off, which in turn caused cycling problems when i initially tested it, although did increase the recoil

Cycling on the GHK is around 16rps, which isnt bad at all, just wish i could compare it to the G&G.

strangely though, both bolt carriers weigh more or less the same, so the additional material on the end of the G&G is offset by the material drilled out What this means is, with the same spring & bolt the recoil will be identical between the two.

Chamber on both is identical (not sure what this part is called)
          both do come with pretty shady o-rings on the part that connects with the mag, which are prone to slipping off if you're to energetic with you mag change (and results in the mag just venting... or failing to fire in anything other than a weak fps semi). I noticed above someone had mentioned the gun just venting after chaning mag, and i think this might have been the cause.
          I've changed them both to a slightly thicker o-ring in the photo, (normally the G&G one is green)

The biggest difference between the two geaboxes is the actual bolt itself, compared to the stanard GHK bolt the valve part of the G&G bolt has been re-profiled to allow alot more gas to divert towards the bb, if you look at the picture you can see the G&G has a far steeper profile than the two GHK bolts (the GHK high veloctity bolt uses a spring at the front part to reduce the restriction on the gas flow)

This part is probably not that scientific, or accurate....
          but here are my findings when chrono'd, done indoors at around 20 degrees, freshly gassed mag each time i changed the bolt, tried to keep the time between shots constant, so cooldown was equal between tests)
          433mm 6.03 tightbore, ghk hop, madbull shark rubber and only the bolt was changed to test), abbey predator gas.
          Stock GHK - fresh mag, 380fps, levels out to around 330fps
          Stock G&G - fresh mag 440fps, levlels out to around 380fps
          GHK high velocticy - fresh mag approx 520fps, levels off to around 450fps

luckily you can get both GHK bolts seperately so if you need to reduce your fps for CQB use its do-able, or increase it for DMR usage

Trigger pack is identical in everyway, fortunately GHK make a semi-auto only selector if you plan on using the "high velocity bolt", didn't strip this down as there's not much to look at here.

Magazines
          Identical in everyway, from the spot welds to the markings on the bolts. I have a feeling these probably come direct from GHK, and G&G just repackage them.

hope this is of use to someone

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
            luckily you can get both GHK bolts seperately so if you need to reduce your fps for CQB use its do-able, or increase it for DMR usage

Where can you get the GHK Bolts from mate? I can only see the AEG/GBB conversion kits

Comment

Nice comparison shots

I imagine ghk make g&g's ones for them with slightly different moulds. It's pretty standard practise in the ******* *****.

Sent from outer space
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Ive been running the g&g gbb m4 for about 2 years now and love it so much fun but now want to dmr it do you know where to get ghk fps upgrade most of the gun is finished im in the uk if that helps thanks

Comment

Originally posted by McKillmore View Post
                  Hey good review, pretty much sums up my thoughts on this gun.

Bought mine a couple of months ago and have skirmished with it a few times at different sites and it performs faultlessly. I use excel .23g's usually but also had to use .20g bio BB's at the most recent site. No problems with either. I run it on propane and have been getting between 310 and 330 fps in this cold weather we are having.

I did a little video review not long after I bought it which can be viewed here:

http://youtu.be/5cP1KR8EwCI

Although since I made this video I have encountered a little niggle with the mags, the BB feeding nozzle is somewhat fragile. The first one I broke was at The Courthouse in Bristol and dropped a mag due to extreme operator tactics and it's pretty fudged as you can see:

(Sorry if the pic is massive)

The other magazine that I've had break, I have no explanation for. The little nub that holds the BB's in the feeder tube has simply buggered off.
                  Love the gun but have had exactly the same issue with the mags which is a shame as that has stopped me from buying more (the price isnt exactly cheap) so that I can use the gun as a main instead of a fun back up. Been hoping a cheaper or more robust compatible mag would be made by now. Anyone know any ?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                  X