Review of the G&G CM16 Gas Blowback gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the G&G CM16 Gas Blowback gun

When I got into airsoft I couldn’t really get ‘into’ M4’s, I wasn’t a huge fan of their looks, nor the fact that nearly everyone has them. As such, I opted for a G36 (3, actually) and never looked back. I read that G&G planned to release a low maintenance, reliable and cheap gas gun. I was put off gas guns for two out of three of those reasons. Maintenance and reliability so the thought of owning a gas gun became a real possibility.

After a conversation with a couple of people that had got one of the first few released I decided to bit the bullet and go and have a look at one in London. They currently do three models (I think I saw 4 on the official G&G site however only 3 are available at the moment I believe).

A standard M4 carbine and 2 limited edition models with metal RIS rails and an adaptable stock, all versions come in black and tan and are based exactly round the G&G CM16 AEG, obviously with a different gearbox, still a version 2 however.

In terms of stripping the gun down it really couldn’t be easier. One pin to split the top half away from the receiver, the barrel and hop fit snugly into the top rail and can only be fitted one way so no chance of not getting it lined up correctly. I also opted to put a different stock on the gun, this was a bit of a pain at first however, as with all things, once you know what you’re doing it is very straight forward.

Now onto how the gun actually performs etc –

I bought it on Friday just gone, had a couple of test shots on Friday evening and Saturday to get the hop bedded in and all adjusted ready for it’s first skirmish at The Mall in Reading.

I bought 6 mags in total (1 comes with the gun) and unfortunately 3 of them weren’t working so if you do get them I suggest test firing and testing every mag, I’m not sure if this is going to be a common problem or if I was just every unlucky however either way replacements are on their way so no problems!

To get the gun ‘ready’ you simply fill the mag with BB’s and gas (I’m currently running it on Abbey green however will be switching to propane to keep costs down). To anyone reading this considering venturing into gas gun ownership but don’t know much about them, propane is identical to green gas excluding lubrication. Switching to propane works out about 80% cheaper so it certainly is worth the hassle of having to self lube every now and again (snigger). Once the mag is in the magwell you simply pull the cocking lever situated above the stock and you’re ready to go!

The sound of the gun on full auto is ridiculous, I really was quite shocked at how loud it is, for me this is a good thing but appreciate not everyone wants a noisy gun.

Range is very good out of the box, I have heard good things about the green G&G rubber. I do also have a Madbull blue that I am going to try and see if it’s better or worse than the G&G one.

Gas consumption wise I’d say about 60 shots per gas charge. The mags actually hold 40 rounds in them however only putting 30 in is highly advised to avoid any problems.

One downside is it’s very funny about which BB’s you run though it. I use Bulldog BB’s which work absolutely perfectly with it however I also have some Blaster tracer rounds and the gun really doesn’t like them. A lot of jamming up in the mag and not firing etc so bare this in mind as well. It is also highly recommended to run the gun on .25’s as I have heard the gun doesn’t like .2’s at all.

In summary it’s bloody brilliant. Typical G&G quality internally with a nice looking exterior, if you want a first gas gun that you can simply leave in your gun bag at the end of the day rather than going through all the normal maintenance procedures then definitely have a closer look at the G&G CM16 GBB.

It cost me £450 in total including the limited edition long version of the gun, 5 extra mags and a G&G stock, worth absolutely every penny in my opinion. A solid 8.5/10.

I will update this with pictures of the gun once a few bits and pieces I have planned for the gun arrive as well unless anyone is desperate to see it in standard form!

Any questions fire away!

Re: Review of the G&G CM16 Gas Blowback gun

Nice writeup. I could be tempted to pick one of these up with a few mags.
    AGM Scar L (Black) - KWA Glock 17 - CA B&T MP5A4

Comment

Originally posted by Fluxeor View Post
      Nice writeup. I could be tempted to pick one of these up with a few mags.
      You won't regret it

Comment

so youve had it nearly a week, still loving it? Im literally on the edge of ordering one just for some fun, is the kick on it good? I had a we scar which was lovely to fire with a hefty recoil but the constant maintenance pushed me to sell it. The bb type issue is putting me off though. i contacted G&G to see if they were working on a fix for it etc and this was their response:

Dear Matt,
        Some of our friendly dealers tested G&G CM16 GBB and found G&G CM16 GBB rilfe like G&G BBs most.
        We think that’s because we test G&G CM16 GBB by using our own brand BBs. So we suggest you buy G&G BBs.
        Although the design of mags is 30R, but we don’t suggest the amount of BBs is over 30R. It may cause the BBs feeding problem.

Comment

Honestly?

I am loving it even more a week on! To be honest I really wouldn't see the BB issue as a problem, find a brand that it works with, someone mentioned the standard Blaster BB's work fine, as do Bulldog BB's (what I use).

I have found myself taking it into the garden in the evenings to fire off a couple of mags as it's so much fun to fire. My AEG's would never see this pleasure. I was firing it on Ultra and the kick back of the recoil is seriously impressive, not to mention the noise. It is very loud on ultra!

I am in the process of switching over to propane to make running it dirt cheap as well.

It's moved up from an 8.5/10 to a solid 9/10 for me.

Highly recommended!

Comment

You sir, are a legend. However my bank manager now hates you.

Diplomacy is overrated.

Comment

Did you pick one up then?

Comment

Going to order one this next week I think.

Got a G&G Raider already and love it. Been wanting to get into GBBR's for a while, and this is starting to look like the perfick jobby.

Nice one

Diplomacy is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by eyley View Post
                  Going to order one this next week I think.

Got a G&G Raider already and love it. Been wanting to get into GBBR's for a while, and this is starting to look like the perfick jobby.

Nice one
                  It won't disappoint you I promise

Try and get the limited edition version if you can, comes with a full metal RIS!

Comment

Cheers for the heads up i'll have a look.

Diplomacy is overrated.

Comment

I don't mean to drag this out of the cobwebs, but do you have a further update now you have had time to skirmish it?

I got one recently and it cycled enough to get 1 mag through it and now it just vents gas. Has yours had any similar issues or have I likely got a dud mag like you mentioned?
                      Armoury: VFC SCAR L, VFC SCAR H SSR, VFC Mk13 EGLM, KWA Vector, TM VSR-10, WE HK416, WE AKS74UN, WE SCAR L x2, DE M56 + M56B, Maruzen M1100 + M870, LaZouche Custom Shop Colt Mk.IV Series 70, TM 1911 MEU, TM 1911 Desert Warrior, TM Desert Eagle.

Comment

I got one recently and it cycled enough to get 1 mag through it and now it just vents gas. Has yours had any similar issues or have I likely got a dud mag like you mentioned?
                        I will be getting one as soon a zero one opens back up after Christmas, so i will see if i have similar issues and get back to you, and thanks to the awesome review
                        "They've got us surrounded again the poor bastards"
                        sigpic

Comment

I got one such a nice little thing. I ordered the high velocity bolt from a Taiwanese supplier and a 'kin 'oooge silencer now it now shoots 420fps. Gary Gordon DMR coming up!!!

**insert witty remark**

Comment

Is samoon the brand of high power bolt that you got?
                            "They've got us surrounded again the poor bastards"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chas View Post
                              Is samoon the brand of high power bolt that you got?
                              Certainly is! The reply I got from Samoon by email said that with the rifle in standard form (CM16 carbine light with a 6.03) will shoot at around 410 - 430fps.

Just waiting for the delivery

**insert witty remark**

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X