Small team/Pair Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small team/Pair Tactics

Next weekend when i skirmish, me and my friend have agreed to try and stick together and work as a two man team, Obviously working alongside the rest of the team but peeling off ocasionally. Any tips for a small team? Btw our regular site is GZW
    sigpic

Re: Small team/Pair Tactics

You have to be alert, when there is only two of you, you need all of the help you can get. As a two man team, your main purpose should be collecting intel. One of you (if not both), should have a scoped weapon or binoculars, and comms to eachother and at least 1 member of the main team. If your game involves an objective, then find a position overlooking the objective, where you have a clear sightline, escape route and backup escape route. You should remember that as a two man team, you can't expect to run in all guns blazing and just win. It doesn't work like that.
    A common method for moving is for one man to take cover and for the other to move up and find a piece of cover, then provide cover for the 1st man to move up even further, so on and so forth. Works well, as you are always covered.
    Another thing you need to watch out for is being out numbered. For a little scenario, imagine you are moving through woodland when you stumble upon a group of 10+ enemy players. Do you immediately switch to auto and light them up? No. The first thing you should do is get to a position where you can't be seen and alert your teammate. Then, find a good firing position, preferably seperate (fire from 2 differenet directions confuses and you can hit a larger area). If possible, you want to alert the rest of the team, get some support on standby. Next step, the fun part. Open fire! As long as you have a decent firing position and lay down a good stream of fire, you should be good.
    I personally employ a 'return fire' RoE with my guys, unless we get a strong opportunity to reduce the enemies numbers.
    If you need help with a specific situation or something, just pm me.. Hope I helped..

Comment

Pretty much what Josh said!

I'll echo the movement part, me and a member of my team occasionally branch off and go an a two man offensive. You MUST keep moving, if your still for too long and someone spots you, as Josh said, you can easily become outnumbered.

Comment

Yeah he recently got a sniper and i have an m4 so your post are REALLY helpfull guys cheers
        sigpic

Comment

I'd go away from everyone else's recommendations personally! When we do that it's all about letting everyone else come to you

Comment

I would say get decent comms. All the planning falls apart when one of you ends up in the dead zone because likelihood is that the next time you see your mate will be if you have pre arranged lunch at a certain time!
            sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdrop View Post
              I would say get decent comms. All the planning falls apart when one of you ends up in the dead zone because likelihood is that the next time you see your mate will be if you have pre arranged lunch at a certain time!
              My brother and I had our first day yesterday with comms and it is easily the best purchase for airsoft we have made yet, made linking up after hits much easier and general communication when working together, helped our game no end.

The other thing is have a little faith in the person you are with, you don't have to walk next to each other, leave some decent spacing between the two of you.
              sigpic

Comment

I think knowing you have someone you can trust with you helps, someone who isnt going to light up the first patrol they see from 50 odd meters away! Someone that will work with you as a team and again good comms will help, oir team has just started using comms, still pretty amature at it but as said it helps to see where everyone is and if there are any problems broken guns ambushes etc
                Custom g&p mk18 mod1 cqb------tm glock 17 custom------king arms sig 556 shorty------tm tactical master berreta m9------magpul pts masada------WA gbb m4a1------WE sig P226R------KWA mp9A3------tm p226 e2------kwa mp7a1------systema ptw L119A1.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Price View Post
                  Pretty much what Josh said!

You MUST keep moving, if your still for too long and someone spots you, as Josh said, you can easily become outnumbered.
                  Good solid advice. However, the bit you need to be thinking about is if someone spots you. You think I move constantly all-day? No, I worked very hard on cam+con, Camoflague and Concealment. You don't need to consistently change your position every five minutes, in fact, thats a terrible idea, as you are more likely to bump in to the enemy. What you need to do is think about your gear and your role/objective. If your objective is to gather intel on an enemy position, then should you be wearing a method of concealment, i.e. a ghillie suit/concealment vest etc. If your role is to launch a small distraction attack, you should be thinking about bringing a bugger-ton of ammo and enough places to store it. Your choice of movement style should also emulate this as well. When being low profile, you want to stay low and move slow. When you need to be aggressive, speed is the key.
                  Just think about your role, and what movement style/gear is going to help you achieve this objective. I know my ghillie suit is like a life support machine!

Comment

Josh are you in cadets/Military?
                    sigpic

Comment

No, but I've been to HMS Lympstone in Devon with the Royal Marines for a couple of week long taster camp things, its a mixture of them teaching me, me just figuring out things and sitting back and assessing the situation. Plan to join the RMR assuming I'm fit and healthy by the time I finish A-level and Uni (if I don't need a new liver :D)

Comment

As a two man team you need to strip 'fire and manouver' down to its basics. and 'pepperpot' along.

First guy should go to ground and cover your move to a piece of cover no more than about ten-fifteen metres away, less if its risky. This is a tactical 'bound'.

Continure to move in bounds, if you both stop the guy to the rear should look behind him.

Tell each other what you are doing, you dont need coms, you shouldnt be more than ten metres apart. Tell your' mate 'prepare to move', the 'move' etc.

Baiscally leap frog each other so that no move is made without the other guy poitning his gun in your direction of travel. If it gets 'hot' you do the same but obvioulsy your 'oppo' (opposite number in army speak) is putting down fire on the enemy to keep their heads down while you move.

Using this tactic 'captain jack' and I one took out 50 other players between us at a game at phoenix urban where there were 25 two man teams in an 'every duo for itself' game.

Also be aggressive (not like punching people out ) but make a lot of noise when you are moving forwards, dont *say* 'move' shout it to each other. Quite often people free when someone runs at them shouting and it can give you that edge... obviously dont be an idiot about it and do it all the time but if you need to storm a barricade screaming your head off when running at it really can stop people firing at you... doesnt always work *sometimes* does but *not* doing it never works

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Bedford View Post
                          No, but I've been to HMS Lympstone in Devon with the Royal Marines for a couple of week long taster camp things, its a mixture of them teaching me, me just figuring out things and sitting back and assessing the situation. Plan to join the RMR assuming I'm fit and healthy by the time I finish A-level and Uni (if I don't need a new liver :D)
                          Haha, Yeah you seem to know all the proper terms i got taught with the Army through cadets nice one :D Good Luck
                          sigpic

Comment

Cheers all guys, Nice one!!
                            sigpic

Comment

For the last few years our team numbers have varied massively and as such only two members have been a constant over that time. We’ve been playing together for 13 years now and have certainly picked up a trick or two about working as a pair.
                              The biggest factor that you need to think about is that you are no longer playing the role of a conventional soldier and much more that of a guerrilla.

Points to consider:

• Don't worry about objective chasing, leave that to the bigger teams, they are much more suited to the meatgrinder that this usually comes with this territory.

• Work a little way away from the main battle lines. Your biggest advantage is that as a pair you are much harder to spot than a larger team. This makes flanking, moving up behind the enemy and laying ambushes nice and easy.

• Pick your battles. Lots of trigger discipline is your friend here, don’t go for kills unless you are confident that you can remove the entirety of the opfor in your AO. Personally I probably left 10-20 targets at the weekender to fight another day because I/we could not take them out without compromising ourselves.

• Get used to bailing out! There’s no shame in retreating, get used to falling back whilst laying down suppressive fire. You can’t fight the enemy on their own terms, so don’t even try!

• Camouflage and concealment are obviously your friends in this sort of roll, but when you have to go loud turn it up to 11. Ramping up the aggression can certainly help level the playing field against a numerically superior enemy, particularly in airsoft.

Don’t worry about taking on intel roles and the like, there are very few events that have the kind of comms and command infrastructure to make that of any value. By all means try and arrange comms with a larger team on site, but being airsoft the chances of them being either inclined to or capable of helping you out of the shit are pretty slim.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Monster Airsofter Hi, Im Jed and Airsoft is a big part of my life, Everywere you look in my home you will find items to show it. Gun hanging on my wall, BBs spread all over the house and bits of dpm here there and everywhere. I'd prefer mil sim but any airsoft is good airsoft, ive only tried Ground Zero and Challenge leisure but will try others like Tier 1, The Sandpit, Ambush and Combat South. Find out more about Monster Airsofter
                              Working...
                              X