Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

idea: The British Rebel Fighter - What would they look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: idea: The British Rebel Fighter - What would they look like?

Probably soldier 95's. They're so common and easy to get. No.4 rifles, mabye the odd No.8. Shot guns, .22 rifles, larger calibre hunting rifles, pistols, revolvers and even the odd smg or assault rifle.

As with everywhere we do have an illegal arms trade in the UK, and as previously stated if it's a couple of years in then members of the armed forces must have joined the rebels, so even some current gear would be used, especially if they managed to take a few bases. As for teactical gear again, old style webbing is extremely easy to get. I know of at least three surplus shops withing 30 miles that have 20+ sets of webbing and vests, and old military museums would provide even more.

Comment

I read this thread with interest. I also think that we would see lots of hunting kit- Jack Pyke, Real Tree etc may be even tweed out in the countryside. I think as time goes on the people will wear what they can find- perhaps like Falling skies series. Personally I am thinking green combats and a hoodie with barbour jacket over. Plenty of pockets and can conceal lots under the jacket.

Comment

It also depends if its a rebelion hiding in the population or if there more organised and based in a paticular location, as one would wear random mishmash of clothes, trying to look as inconspicuous as posible, the other will have a couple of bits of tactical gear (helmet, armour, holster maybe, ammo pouch/bandolier) and be more militristic in how they are dressed.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Comment

The other part we are forgetting is there is all these airsofters with tac kit!

Comment

Yeah but that opens up to much in the realms of artistic license (had this with a PA group i'm in)

Comment

I think the motives of the rebellion are the key to working out how things go down. I think two major issues could cause Britain to end up in a state of war, Nato posturing with Russia, and Islamic terrorism and the reaction to it.
              Focusing on the last one as a likely cause of civil war. Say that Paris style attack become common and public anger increases, parallel to anger in the Islamic community at the perceived poor treatment they receive from the government coupled with government interventions. The Islamic community pushed to the edges by right wing mobs and state surveillance, begin to lean towards a small amount of jihadis who increasingly find themselves welcomed in the most marginalised Islamic areas.
              The British working class, angered at the spate of attacks, and the inability of the government to protect them, increasingly look to vigilantes to protect them.
              Clashes between the two groups force riot police to call in help. The next you know it, there are fatalities. Other communities begin to takes sides, non-jihadi ethnic minorities being drawn to the more populist forces and the more politically "extreme" British being drawn to far right groups. Perhaps less extreme Islamic communities will look towards local militias for help during the beginning phases. Handheld weapons, stuff that is legal to get hold of, crossbows, machetes, baseball bats with civvies will dominate.
              Later on as government forces fail to quell the fighting between the two sides, both sides will be dominated by the more "extreme" elements, think Neo-Nazis and ISIS. They will raid police armouries, use handmade smgs and shotguns (smgs are very easy to copy) and equipment from ambushes of small police and military patrols will be the main source of supply, along with the Saudis supplying the Islamists and possibly the Russians and right wing Americans supplying the British Nationalists.
              Where it goes from there depends on many factors, the government admitting defeat and asking for outside help (possible EU army) outside help for the rebels (European Nationalists, foreign Jihadis, American volunteers) and all kinds of factors that military analysts are probably weighing up as I type.
              I appreciate that both sides suggested may be a bit too "real" fr many people, but my point is that, in a civil war, where civilians are so desperate that they take up arms and face death in order to change the world around them, there will be no politically correct, inoffensive "moderate forces" outside of the state security forces.
              As shown in Syria, Spain, China, Russia, Ireland and many other places in the last century, what entails will be bloody, politically/religiously charged and very, very personal. Both sides will hate the other, the government will have to be brutal, and those caught in between will be forced to ally themselves with the strongest force in their area, however distasteful nazis and jihadis seem to us in the comfort of peace. The ever so righteous Tory government may even side with one against the other in desperation.
              I suppose it raises questions about simulating such a thing, but airsoft simulates war so its best not to dwell. Fascinating thread and well worth thinking about what would cause such a thing (my opinion is that working class people from all backgrounds are facing years of unemployment and misery and political/religious elements can give food for rebellion) of course you can avoid realism and invent alternative historical motivations and the like to suit your taste and political leanings.
              The role of a Nato/Brics war is something that could change the nature of it entirely.

Comment

Been toying with the idea of setting up a set of rules (more like guidelines) for a British rebellion scenario.
                Starting with no equipment other than a pistol (used by at least one British force/defence, eg glock 17/P226) and a LARP knife.
                Time earns you options of adding equipment to your load out. For example, one week could earn you a piece of body armour plus one pouch, or it could earn you 3 pouches, or it could earn you comms. Two weeks could earn you a gun that's used by two or more forces/defences plus a spare magazine, eg L85, MP5 or G36. Three weeks could earn you a gun that is used by one force (eg: Hampshire police use M416c) or a weapon that's used regularly by a force or defence on the continent (here we are assuming that Europe is helping fight the rebellion), and 4 weeks could earn you a gun of your choice (basically obtained from smugglers or the IRA)

Basically meaning you can set yourself up to have any number of items of your own choice, but with the handicap of needing to "earn" them.
                I was thinking there could be a few basic rules to keep it simple....
                Rule 1: To earn 1 week you have to participate in a game day. Attending but not participating wouldn't count.
                Rule 2: Time is effectively the games currency. If you wanted an item that would take 2 weeks to earn and an item that takes three weeks to earn, that's five weeks. If you're happy with what you're carrying you can collect time, with a maximum of 5 weeks "banked".
                Rule 3: camouflage clothing kept to a bare minimum... Preferably none at all.
                Rule 4: This role play would only work if those participating agree to follow the rules.

Any thoughts on the basic theme? A downloadable list or even a dedicated game thread could contain a list of equipment and "prices"...

Pros, cons, praise or criticism welcome.

Comment

Sounds like the start of a larp system but it sounds pretty reasonable, if "weeks" are game days then the "cheap" equipment would have to be decent enough, like shotguns and non military bolties, tactical equipment is useless without a use so pouches are not that helpfull but a requirement could be a bag to hold ammo, meds and stuff, body armour from stab vests to kevlar would be good earners if they had an in game use i.e. kevlar will allow you to crawl away and get up after a 10 count when hit but costs 5 weeks and can only be used once per life, whereas a stab vest will allow you to self medic after a 30 count once per life costing a med kit aswell.

Ammo should be limited and a valiable commodity.

As for a main theme my vote is for a German led EU take over of a bankrupt UK, with "marshals" being remanants of the Army banding people together in a falling skies type situation.

Comment

That was pretty much what I was thinking Luke. The less likely the item or weapon, the more it costs. Shotguns would make a very good option as a starting weapon due to their high numbers in the civilian world.
                    I like the idea of the bolt actions, but given UK law, these should be priced only slightly lower than that of the millitary/law enforcement weaponry (are Uk police weapons semi auto only?)

I completely agree, pouches are useless without equipment, and as such their price should be right down at one week. Dump pouch and/or ammo bag should be free to those that want or need it, but should be attached to a normal belt unless you've earned something for it to attach to.

I'm not sure if this would attract enough of a following to limit ammunition, but a suggested amount would be a good idea. I do think this could be left to the player to decide a sensible amount for their site though.

Really like the idea of the body armour. The only thing I would suggest is that you can only have one type... You can't have Kevlar in the front and stab in the back 😂

Grenades could be something that are learnt, so after week three you've discovered a way to make improvised explosives, entitling you to one per game with the standard 15ft kill radius.

Keeping the rules simple is important. If it's over complicated then interest will be immediately lost. Explanations are what's key to this I think, after all, it needs to be believable and without an explanation it's just another skirmish.

Comment

Simplicity is key, i've learnt that over the years

Grenades would be cool as improv pipe bombs lol

With armour obviously it'd be one or the other

Ammo limits are becoming more and more popular and it would fit with the game type making people play more to the theme rather than hicapping it.

Tbh the players shouldn't have a need for dump pouches (if your keeping this more civie than millie) especialy if there not going to have 5 mags for an M4.

Uk police weapons are semi auto, only the military have full auto guns. As for boltys, VSR style rifles are very easy to get hold of as a civie, there used for hunting and recreation, but L98's are hard to get and i doubt any uk civie will have an intervention lol, so id say as long as the shotguns and rifles fit the "comercialy owned" asthetic the would be golden, but no AA-12s or SVDs .

L

Comment

Either pipe bomb or Molotov... Both would be believable.

I know it's pretty obvious, but for clarity I thought I'd state it (for my own benefit as much as others as I may have to rewrite all of this).

I agree. I currently only own GBBR's but following a game barely above freezing last week I've bought myself an AEG. I've only been playing for around 2 months. Even the idea of high caps just doesn't float my boat.

Working out what's fair in terms of ammo capacity is going to be hard. Some people may not want to buy lower cap magazines (they could just simply load less) but if the limit was 90 rounds from a rifle and 30 rounds from a pistol I think that would simulate something close to real?
                        I fear that limiting ammunition too strictly would lead to issues for players on sites that run longer games; so perhaps a limit to the amount you are allowed to carry at any one time? Carrying a speed loader would be allowed... But unless it's jam packed full it'll rattle.

Noted on dump pouch maybe a 90's bum bag could be a free item? 😂

Absolutely spot on regarding the rifles and shotguns aesthetics, but I imagine (given their larger numbers) shotguns would be far easier to obtain in the scenario of a hostile nation, or at least more common; and as such should be cheaper.

I'm loving the evolution of the idea.
                        I'm sure plenty has been missed - anyone got anything else to add?

Comment

I played a game last year with 30 players over 3 days and only 300 rounds across the weekend, and if your limiting the type of gun then high caps wont be an issue, i'd say give everyone 10 bbs and then "earn" more ammo by completing objectives. And shotguns would be the main gun used i reckon with only a couple of pistols around.

Comment

A bit of an update on this, i ran a post apocalyptic game a few months ago, Shotguns, pistols and bolt actions only, with 20 rounds at the start and ammo hidden around to be found.

Worked well most people enjoyed it, i only had 13 players in the (a few people dropped out last minute) and there was a little too much ammo going around, but everyone enjoyed it and i got lots of positive feedback, even considering the lack of organiseation as i was moving into my new place the next day lol.

I have another planned in for next year, i just need to sort out a date for it with the site.

Comment

• I like this idea- any more loadout pics?

Comment

• I like this idea- any more load out pics?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Hawaiian Special Forces Find out more about Hawaiian Special Forces
                                Working...
                                X