dmr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmr?

hi,after a bit of break from airsoft the role of a dmr is interesting me.could anyone tell me what sort of role/tactics this would mean and if its a role thats worth doing? thanks in advance

Re: dmr?

In the strictest sense, it is a piece of equipment: Designated Marksman Rifle

The role is to essentially fill that void between assault rifle and sniper rifle. In the real world, an individual rifle is accurate out to 300m and up to 600m if used as part of a section of weapons. (8 of you shooting at one man 600m away) The DMR is a bigger caliber weapon - usually a 7.62mm so as an individual you are capable of taking those longer range shots.

In airsoft terms, it means locking your weapon to semi only and usually an fps allowance of 400 - 450 depending on site.

There will always be exceptions that prove the rule, but you should out range "normal" rifles and have better accuracy too, but qiuite be able to match the sniper rifles. Your tactics would be a cross between the stealth of a sniper and the aggressiveness of a rifleman... keeping within support range of your team mates, but hanging back or flanking as you lack the full auto capability of mixing it up in a sustained firefight. Perhaps denying a doorway or window or barricade from the enemy by keeping their heads down allowing your team to move up relatively unhindered.

That is the theory / reasoning behind it now stand by now for comments about MP5Ks that out range VSRs with greater accuracy and similar such stories!

Comment

Loki made a good post.

A DM is essentially a much lighter faster version of playing than sniping. In theory at least.

If I were sniping - I'd expect to spend 30mins to an hr crawling to a target. With a DMR I'd be advancing with the main group and trying to take out more important targets. ie the ones who can actually shoot/ support gunners/ counter sniping.

Personally I think its a great way to play and deeply regret getting rid of my M14.

You are open to a number of weapon choices, the M16 makes a pretty good base for a DMR platform as does the M14. Id go for M14 with a 350fps spring and a really good tight bore barrel. You will be out ranging "most" stuff with just that.

Kit will be the same as what you already use - no Ghillies here.

Best of luck
      Enjoy
      Andy
      Originally posted by Coz
      Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

my sr25 is locked semi 420 fps

has a 6.01mm barrel using .30g bbs

and as people stated above is a more aggressive version of a bolt action

when my team is assaulting i stay within 25-30 meters of the enemy laying some good accurate fire keeping heads down or picking off people

but i can also pick off targets from 50-60m...its a great weapons class.

Comment

Please note: DMR is not simply a more accurate/powerful rifle - I.E. you shouldn't be blapping away like you would with a standard rifle. You should be taking careful measured shots.

Just wanted to say it.
          Originally posted by Coz
          Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
          http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

and also

don't let your noob mate who just watched 'shooter' become your 'spotter'

he will ruin all your shots i learned the hard way hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman92 View Post
              when my team is assaulting i stay within 25-30 meters of the enemy
              At every site I've played at, that would be within the MED and get you a ban.

When I was sorting my old M14 DMR, the best bit of advice I received (from someone who makes them for a living) is to not treat it as a sniper rifle with less range, but to think of it as a regular AEG that is more consistent and has a better time-to-target.

Even firing at 424fps, with a TB and a very consistent air seal, my M14 wasn't capable of much more range than my VFC 416 with the full madbull hop/rubber/barrel setup. What it could do, though, was get the shots out to 60m or so much faster and have them landing where I wanted them to much more often. I could supress at range, where the 416 is better at this around the 30-40m mark.

Moving up with the rest of your team can be an issue. Quite a few times I found myself leaving the M14 and rushing up with a pistol or shotgun, as the enemy had got withing my MED and we needed to act aggressively to break their position.

It's OK to a degree but while I found keeping people's heads down when I was out of their range, and those nice satisfying 1 shot kils at range, to be enjoyable I just didn't like those days when I was running the DMR as much as I did with either a sniper rifle, a regular AEG or just a pistol/shotty.
              sigpic

Comment

my site is 20m for anything above 350.

Comment

Caveira has brought up you will need some form of side arm be it a pistol or another rifle if you don't mind lugging it around to deal with the more up close and personal situations!
                  Zeroin - Come for the airsoft. Stay for the trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman92 View Post
                    my site is 20m for anything above 350.
                    Fair enough mate; but ouch - 500fps at 20m (potentially to the face or balls) isn't something I'd like to be on the receiving end of!
                    sigpic

Comment

60ft is med at most f&o sites. 20m/60ft same difference. We never have any issues.
                      Check Out My Sales;
                      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...rs-and-adaptor
                      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Impulse-buys

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

cutt1 Find out more about cutt1
                      Working...
                      X