Froglube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froglube

So I was browsing for a lubricant to use on my kit when a serving friend of mine suggested I check out Froglube. At first I was sceptical of its application to airsoft as it is a product intended for real weapons, constructed out of different materials but I was keen to give it a go and all the feedback I'd seen was good. I took the plunge and ordered a kit which came with a small tube of grease and a bottle of liquid Froglube as well as a microfibre cloth.

Initial impressions
    The first thing you'll notice is the price, Froglube isn't a cheap product, the 4oz paste and 1oz liquid I purchased set me back £30 including delivery. Whether its worth it or not I'll cover later but there is definitely a significant expenditure. But this stuff has been engineered by an ex SEAL, someone who knows their way around numerous weapon systems and what is needed from a cleaner, lubricant and preservative (CLP) so this stuff should work.

Opening up the Froglube I was struck by the smell, the product has a very strong (and in my opinion very pleasant) smell of menthol. Yes, your RIFs will end up smelling minty fresh on the skirmish field! What more could you ask for? Well how about it being a lovely green colour? Just kidding, we all know the important thing is the performance...

How well does it work?
    Well my first test subject for Froglube was a TM/Guarder P226R. The slide kept getting stuck part way and I figured this was a lube issue. Stripping the pistol down I noted that it was coated in an unidentifiable black grime and I reasoned this couldn't be helping the pistol function smoothly. Applying the paste to the grot allowed me to remove it with a microfibre cloth and leave the pistol nice and clean, ready for lubing. I applied a small amount of paste to the runners and the matching grooves and racked the slide a few times to spread the paste along the length of the slide. I put a couple of magazines through the pistol and the action was incredibly smooth and a delight to shoot (as well as smelling minty!). I couldn't of asked for more.

As I use and abuse my kit more and more I'll add more information about its performance, especially if it ends up being submerged which I'm sure it'll function fine with as Froglube was designed to be waterproof.

Is it worth it?
    I honestly don't know, its the only CLP I've used so far and it works great. Sure, its expensive but you only need to apply miniscule amounts for it to work beautifully. I don't see myself skirmishing without the liquid bottle in my toolkit anytime soon though. I spend so much on my kit as it is I don't see an issue splashing out on maintaining it.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
    Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Re: Froglube

I thought it was excellent after I saw Sootch on YouTube do a video on it. Also, don't forget it can be eaten! Hahahah

Comment

Last time this subject came up I saw it as an excuse for posting a (semi) decent picture of Tabatha Cash.

Seriously, though, I've not heard anyone come up with a sensible negative to this stuff. OK, you hear people saying that we don't need to use CLPs as there's no propellant residue to clean from the working parts of an airsoft gun. That's all very true, but they seem to miss the principle that this stuff is designed to penetrate into the metal leaving a permanent level of lubrication.

I can't justify this level of cost for the amount I play, but if I was still running a GBBR then I think it would be on my shopping list.

On second thoughts, here's the only frog I want to use lube on:

sigpic

Comment

It's also worth noting it's produced from entirely natural compounds and is non-toxic to the point I believe it's food safe!

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
          It's also worth noting it's produced from entirely natural compounds and is non-toxic to the point I believe it's food safe!
          Ever one to push the boundaries I tried a little bit. It's quite chalky in taste, lets just say I prefer the cherry flavoured lube a certain woman uses.
          "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
          Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrisianspirit View Post
            lets just say I prefer the cherry flavoured lube a certain woman uses.
            Tabatha on the other hand, being French, would have used menthol!
            sigpic

Comment

Before any one asks, I've met some of the guys that are quite closely involved with the development of Froglube and I'm reliably informed that yes, it has actually been used for... "that"...

Nobody was willing to say who did though...

Comment

A friend uses it on his glock and it works very well. I'd say though that its only really useful on metal pistols. Plastic abs pistols Its almost definitely not worth it, but kwa glocks, fancy hi Capas and 1911s yes.

I plan to start a new hi capa build again, and when it warms up ill be going metal with it, so ill probably buy some then

Comment

I had some given to me this week by a good friend,he was given some to try my a S.F. guy in Afghanistan ,he reckon's his G36 never jammed and he's used it in Norway at minus 18 with out jamming too. I've lubed up my HK45 and MP7 GBB with it and put 5mag's through them one after the other in minus 1, haven't had one jam they cycle much be in the cold as well, so it's a up THUMB'S from me

Comment

any use for gearbox grease?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fenrisianspirit I'm a huge geek. I love tinkering with computers, playing vidya games and listening to music.Why not zoidberg? Find out more about Fenrisianspirit
                    Working...
                    X