ARES (ASG) AW338 spring - any feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARES (ASG) AW338 spring - any feedback

As above has anyone got any feedback about this rifle. It looks fantastic but would be interested in owners opinions. have seen one for £200 and am a little tempted
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Re: ARES (ASG) AW338 spring - any feedback

according to my local gunshop this is yet another well, but with a different mag placement and nicer externals
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

I own one. Not much on the good side, the hop up uses asg/ares own so no after market replacements. The hop rubber thow is vsr. The trigger unit is another problem. The rear sear is vsr compatable with some sanding, the piston sear is vsr 100% but the trigger sear is not. It looks just like an vsr but when you open the trigger box there's more on it than what's on the vsr. It's has an extension to reach the trigger. The trigger unit is slightly longer than an vsr. But I have an new spring in it and it fireing at 500 fps. No problems. The bolt and spring guide and piston are vsr too. I have had great results in range and descent accuracy. Hop rubber is good but could do better and a tight bore is my next thing, I also sanded the mag well. To alow faster reload as it was a very snug fit before. I'd recommend it

Comment

Forgive the thread revival but thought it more appropriate than starting another.

Anymore input/opinions on this rifle? Really want a AW .338 and considering this or the much more expensive ARES. I know the ARES is VSR compatible but its also twice the base cost.

I probably won't be using a sniper rifle all that often, just want one for the collection and the occasional run, which makes me think the ASG.
        "The only easy day was yesterday"

Originally posted by woody549
        Guns + Booze + Friends + Fun = Winning

Comment

I have a full english review of the ARES AW .338 (MSR-008) with many pictures as well as an accuracy test, I will have a look where I saved it and post it later.
          I can already say that I am very happy about it, it wasn't even needed to upgrade anyting as it shot perfectly out of the box at 420fps. Recently changed the stock bucking with a PDI one but haven't taken it out on the field since then. But given the fact it shot very, very good out of the box, I expect the PDI bucking to do even better

Comment

As promised, my review of the ARES AW.338 spring powered sniper (msr-008):

(sorry for the big pics, but some seem to have a bigger resolution than my other pictures. Oh well, it gives you a detailed view )

I ordered this replica on a Saturday at Redwolfairsoft, it got shipped the following Monday, and Wednesday UPS was already at my door with a big package (and a bill for 115€ on import taxes..)
            Upon opening the box I was greeted by a very beautiful AW replica, nicely packed in grey foam padding, along with a magazine, a bipod and a scope mount. When I assembled everything and my scope, I saw that at first glance it was very good!

LOOKS
            As I said before, at first glance everything is very good about the looks. It weighs a little bit over 5kg (+- 10 pounds) and it has a length of 1202mm (real steel variant: 6.5kg or +-13 pounds and 1180mm)
            The bipod can be deployed in one single movement and can has spring powered extensions. At the back we can find a monopod, which shoots back into the stock with the help of a spring. (here’s a short clip made by Redwolfairsoft to illustrate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja_Bs...layer_embedded

The replica also has a foldable stock for easy storage (or in real life it is used by special forces troops during HALO jumps), and an adjustable cheek pad at the back. Also, there are two sling mounts at the front, and two at the back, both left and right.
            Regarding the mag: for a change with AW replicas, it’s at the right place. It has a capacity of around 23 rounds. One remarkable thing is, that there is some kind of internal mag used inside the replica itself. When a fully loaded mag of 23 rounds is inserted, all bb’s go straight into the internal mag. Then the external mag can be filled once again, without bb’s rolling out of the internal one. When placing a full mag for the second time, the internal mag seems to be full as well. On RedWolfAirsoft's website is noted that the replica has a capacity of 70 rounds. This can be acomplished by filling the magazine, inserting in, take it out and fill it again. This is because the replica uses some sort of internal mag which holds 15 or so bb's. The bb's go into the litte hole and are inserted into the internal mag through that hole.

On picture 6 we can see the internal mag. Something quite important to note is that even though the external mag is removed, the replica can stille fire bb's when the internal mag is filled. This can be emptied by pushing the little pin above the hole upwards.
            Next thing on the exterior is the safety lever, which looks good and realistic as well. The little pin is the cocking indicator, showing whether or not the gun is loaded and ready to fire.

In between the bidy and barrel is some kind of gap or opening, probably meant for cooling of the barrel on the real steel variant. As you can see: a nicely finished fluted barrel is also stock on the rifle.

One thing which I see as a small negative point is that the body doesn’t completely seal around the trigger (this is just a matter of a millimeter though). This however is just a slight minor on the entire exterior.

Bipod & monopod:
            The bipod has a quick deploy system with a spring, the extenders are also spring powered. One of its legs had some trouble with the automatic extending, as well as reinserting it back into the bipod. This was probably due to a problem with the internal spring inside the bipod. I could solve it simply using some silicone oil and spraying it on the leg, followed by a lot of extending and reinserting and moving it up and down. Problem solved!
            The monopod can simply be screwed off to disassemble it. There was quite some grease on it (see picture 10), and it also did not reinsert into the stock properly. After disassembling it, removing all of the filthy white grease and spraying some silicone oil on it, the problem was also solved.

INTERNAL
            The hopup unit is found on the upper side of the outer barrel. In my case I can still reach it, but once I’ll put a scope extender on the scope, things will become a bit trickier. Properly adjusting the hopup unit is my message. I have recently changed the stock bucking with a PDI one, but haven't taken it out in the field yet for some proper skirmish testing. I really don't expect any problems from it, to the contrary, I suppose it will shoot even better.

When we separate the body and all other major parts, we get this:
            The body is made out of nylon fiber, the entire barrel etc. is made out of CNC aluminum. The two pieces (body and barrel + receiver) are attached to each other by the use of two screws, as is usually the case with AW replicas.

The nicely finished flash hider can easily be unscrewed, showing the inner barrel. The inner barrel seems to be firmly secured, perhaps some barrel spacers have been placed, but I’m not

I don't have pictures of furhter dissasembly (removal of the trigger unit etc), but this can be done if requested.

PERFORMANCE
            Out of the box this baby shoots a nice 420fps. When you take the replica out of the box for the first time, you find a little card around the trigger. On it is noted a date of the test and also how many fps the replica fires.
            The week I got mine I instantly took it to an airsoft event and yes, a very nice result for an out of the box replica. Concerning the range, I have no idea about it, as I don’t have a 50+m garden and I couldn’t test it during the airsoft event either (I still had to adjust my hopup unit and scope, so it didn’t shot that straight)
            A few days later I made the adjustments and did a little test:
            - There’s a nice grouping, fired on the y-zone head. Vertical spread of maximum 10-11cm (+- 4inch), horizontal spread of maximum 4cm (little under 2inch).
            - The test was done at a distance of 20m (+- 20yards), with 0.3g bb’s from the brand HIDD. There was a minimal scope error margin, for I put it at a x24 zoom for maximum accuracy.
            (NOTE: there was quite some wind that day, so that might have caused some deviation as well.)

CONCLUSION
            The replica was quite an impulsive purchase, but it’s not one I will ever regret at all. I’m very satisfied and it was worth its every single cent. Not only does it look beasty, it also preforms very good without any form of upgrades. According to Redwolfairsoft the ARES AW is fully VSR system compatible, which opens a great window of possibilities. A fully VSR upgraded AW .338 is not the kind of rifle I’d like to face during a skirmish!
            For fans of the AW replicas, it is certainly worth thinking about.

For those interested: the scope I used is a TASCO 6-24x50 aoeg rifle scope. (found it on the internet, the website does no longer exist though)

If you have any further questions or remarks, please send me a message, I’d be happy to reply.

Comment

Hi Great review
              have you changed things over time?
              What is the maximum distance ?

greetings from Netherlands
              Henk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fangsnatcher 43 year old ex army staff sergeant rediscovering my love of running about and shooting people Find out more about fangsnatcher
              Working...
              X