FSKN Special Purpose Unit Гром ("GROM") - Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSKN Special Purpose Unit Гром ("GROM") - Pic Heavy

The FSKN is the Russian Federal Drug Control Service, whose primary resposibilities include:

i) monitoring the trafficking of drugs;
    ii) detection, prevention, suppression, detection and preliminary investigation of crimes attributed to the investigative jurisdiction of Federal Drug Control Service of Russia;
    iii) coordination of enforcement authorities to combat drug trafficking;
    iv) establishment and maintenance of a unified data bank on issues related to drug trafficking, as well as to combat their illegal trafficking.

Working within the FSKN under the jurisdiction of the Directorate Of Special Purpose, "Grom" or "Гром" (Thunder) are a special purpose team that investigate and prosecute cases against the Russian criminal Narco-mafia gangs. Like the U.S. DEA (who they work with), they operate independantly of the FSKN bringing their own cases against some of the most violent criminals on the planet.

They have all their own equipment, special training and tactics and are a high profile and thus well funded unit. They have access to top level gear and their operatives are well paid by Russian standards.

The loadout I have opted for, is copied from their shooting display at the International Exhibition of Means of State Security Provision "Interpolitex-2012" - Tactical exercises and demonstration of military and police special. This show is a huge trade show featuring 396 companies from 23 countries.

From the reference pics, Grom are kitted out exclusively from SRVV in SURPAT. Being high profile they are one of the few units that can afford SRVV gear (like FSB ROSN, TSSN and Alpha), and there is every chance that they are sponsored by SRVV, especially considering that it was at a trade show.

The use of SURPAT, is a contencious decision, as members on this forum seem split on whether they like it. It IS a commercially available pattern from an independant company and thus IS NOT issue kit. But then so is all the kit from SPOSN/SSO (including SMERSH) and some of the most popular camo patterns (Partizan, Flectar-D, Izlom etc). However ALL SRVV stuff comes with "OTK" stamps so is considered suitable by the Russian Authorities as for military and police use.

In Russia, to my knowledge, there are no pics of troops on Ops wearing this gear. There are plenty of pics of Alpha wearing this (including the models on the SRVV website!); with it featuring in the FSB Alpha 2013 calender. There is a pic of Alpha operators wearing SURPAT in a meeting with russian president Dmitry Medvedev and a pic of an unknown MVD unit too (probably 604th Recon as it is unlikely other operators could afford it in the MVD). It is also in use with the FSO (FSB protection unit) but I havent seen any pics.

Personally I really like SURPAT. Its very different in shade/tone than most stuff that is used on skirmish fields over here. The quality of SRVV gear is that of more expensive western brands. The SRVV Riether trousers I am wearing are much better than my Claw Gear Ver2 trousers. I know that opinions are divided on this forum, but its upto you guys to make your minds up. If you look in the design you can see the SRVV logo imprinted within the pattern. Anyway here are the pics:

Kit List
    TM AK-74MN with PKA Scope and SPOSN/SSO RT-3 sling
    WE Glock 17 Gen4 with SRVV Lanyard

Repro PASGT Helmet with SRVV PASGT Helmet Cover
    SRVV AK Speznaz Vest
    SRVV Tactical Thigh Holster

SRVV Tiksi Jacket
    SRVV Rieter Combat Trousers
    SRVV Hunter 3/4 Gloves
    SPLAV Climacool Balaclava

So whats wrong with it. Firstly the choice and availability of the SRVV gear in SURPAT is not great. In the reference pics (I'll post these up later), the two guys are wearing the SRVV Ranger and Centurion vests, Smocks and the Alpha Combat uniform. Couldnt get alot of this gear (I have 5 SRVV vests/loadbearing but none of these) or I preferred the alternatives so its more of a resembles rather than being accurate. I got most of it right though and it looks close enough to be correct (oh and the PASGT is correct before anybody mentions it).

I have used an FSB Glock rather the P-443 Grach (yeah right, good luck finding a bloody airsoft version, they cant even make a Makarov) and my boots are Meindl Eagles rather than Russian. Once again I've used my PK-A scope, where I think the most visible guy has a PK-01.

Anyway comments (positive or negative) are always appreciated. FSB Moscow ROSN next, but considering what happened last time with ROSN this one could really annoy the old guard

Thanks

Nel

- - - Updated - - -

Reference Pics:

Re: FSKN Special Purpose Unit Гром ("GROM&quot - Pic Heavy

Awesome loadout as usual mate. That must get a bit confusing with polish SF though (also called Grom!). I'll show this to a mate, he's doing a surpat kit.
    Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
    It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Looks very cool!
      FOR SALE
      7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
      , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Awesome kit mate looks very good

Comment

Fantastic load out!

Comment

Originally posted by Nun-Chuck View Post
            Awesome loadout as usual mate. That must get a bit confusing with polish SF though (also called Grom!). I'll show this to a mate, he's doing a surpat kit.
            I believe that the Polish Grom are military whilst FSKN Grom are Police. Pretty sure the FSKN Grom will rarely be deployed outside of the Russian Federation. I dont know how similar Russian/Polish languages are, does polish Grom also mean thunder?

Although saying that, FSKN Grom have conducted operations inside Tajikistan and Afghanistan recently. I believe the Afghan Op was a joint NATO thing (Probably for PR) but details are sketchy. It has been reported that Alpha were the unit involved, but then they get linked to everything high profile.

Any details that your mate wants or needs to help with his SURPAT just let me know. I'll help where I can (I've already sold on the SRVV Speznaz vest). As you probably know SURPAT was designed and produced by Survival Corps (SRVV) hence the name: SURvival PATtern. I get mine direct from them, bay of e and forums (Specifically RA where I got the Tiksi jacket for under $100 delivered brand new). It was tough to put it together as items crop up infrequently and SRVV is sold out of alot of stuff.

Also, love your signature nun-chuck. Tickles me everytime I read it.

Thanks to everybody else who has liked and/or commented.

Nel
            Last edited by nellboy; 3 March, 2013, 18:24. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Cracking loadout that! Definitely opening my eyes to what can be done with an all russian setup
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by nellboy View Post

Also, love your signature nun-chuck. Tickles me everytime I read it.

Thanks to everybody else who has liked and/or commented.

Nel
                No worries, I think he's got a lot of it on the way at the moment but I'll point him in this direction.
                Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                  Cracking loadout that! Definitely opening my eyes to what can be done with an all russian setup
                  Alot of the Special Purpose units of the MVD and FSB have moved to western style High Speed/Low Drag uniforms and loadbearing. Whilst I love Gorka's and they are incredibly hard wearing and versatile, High Speed they are NOT! As Ive said before you can have a great deal of western gear (Blackhawk, UnderArmour, Danner, Eotechs, Camelback are all very popular), mixed with modern Russian favourites such as Fort, SRVV, SPOSN/SSO and Fireline. Best thing is you can wear it in combination and still look pretty Russian. Key thing is to get a few basics right. For FSB its Fort Body Armour. Nearly EVERYONE wears it.

As with our armed forces, once the blades start wearing this sort of gear, I expect it to filter down to the regulars. Current russian army equipment is the DigiFlora winter or summer suit, 6b27 helmet (similar to US MICH/PASGT), 6b23 Body Armour and 6sh112 Vest, all in Digi Flora, and a AK-74M. This is what you would be issued and the pay is such that you wont be able to afford to replace it with the flashier stuff. Less frontline units will still be in the older Flora, and the local militias will be wearing all sorts of crazy combinations.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Nel

edit: I havent got any Russian Army Loadouts at all and I'm dont really know alot about them, so please remember this when you look at my reply. I might try a DigiFlora loadout but I need to put about $650 aside to get it up and running After the FSB ROSN I'm doing next, might do a cheapie thrown together 8/8/8 Ossetian militia/45th Rostok Battalion loadout
                  Last edited by nellboy; 3 March, 2013, 19:51.

Comment

phwoar! that looks totez different from any russian kit ive seen on here. Its awesome! D

Comment

Fantastic loadout there, bud. I'm loving Surpat, but I can't really justify the price tag...Yet. I'd be tempted to sell off much of my kit to buy it though.
                      Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

Why I not see this sooner?

What an awesome loadout, hard to tell the differences between the ref pics and your pics.
                        Good job dude.

My loadouts just always turn out crap.
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Machaon View Post
                          Fantastic loadout there, bud. I'm loving Surpat, but I can't really justify the price tag...Yet. I'd be tempted to sell off much of my kit to buy it though.
                          Ok, it is expensive, but a set of BDUs and a cheaper vest/rig would come in after shipping at about what you would pay for a set of Propper BDUs and a Warrior Chest Rig or MOLLE belt. It is comparable in quality to these brands in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                          Why I not see this sooner?

What an awesome loadout, hard to tell the differences between the ref pics and your pics.
                          Good job dude.

My loadouts just always turn out crap.
                          What was wrong with your experimental loadout? Looked fine to me.

My philosophy is always find a pic of a guy that you can base a loadout on. Then using what you've already got, plus what you can afford/beg/borrow/trade or steal start working on it. The big thing is to not go mental about it. Its only airsoft after all. I try to get a few basics right then often use stand-ins for other bits and pieces. As I kinda stick with Russian Special Purpose unit loadouts, alot of it is cross compatable and I can use it for a few different loadouts.

I've got a knock about semi US SEALS load that is NOTHING like what is worn by the actual SEALS. But if I do play blue force, I can at least semi-blend in. Most of time (I marshall at GMA Tuddenham in suffolk two weekends a month) I knock about in a repro SAS Paint-Brush Camo WW2 Smock and a set of 5.11 trousers and a cheapo ACM chest rig. Its just so comfy. I like to think of it as NATO Gorka.

If you ever want help putting together something Russian and modern, I'll try and help where I can.

Nel

Comment

Second reference pic down- "Oooo look an ant"

Another great loadout, This Russian stuff is great, I like how you go for something different and not just mainstream infantry, Not many people would think of doing something like this. I look forward to your next one :D

Comment

Found some more pics of Grom in SURPAT at a different shooting event, loads of pics of regular army, FSB, MVD and VDV shooters so I've linked to it rather than post them all up here. Lots of SURPAT bits used by other shooters (holsters, packs and pouches). Gear wise loads of SPOSN, SRVV and Fort gear on view:

http://2leep.com/bar.php?url=http%3A...%2F920316.html

Here's a google translate of the intro to save you time in having to do it:

In modern Russia, almost every security agency will find your own "Special Forces" - a group of specially selected and trained staff dealing with issues that require the use of special forces and equipment. It is these guys come from, for example, for performing tasks related to the risk of life. Their competence, for example, capture or physical elimination of terrorists and hostage rescue. The work of "experts" is inextricably linked to the war in its various manifestations, but the specific activities of these groups still fine differs from the army and do not always fit into the framework of militia and police routine.

As in any other profession, the Special Forces soldiers have their own criteria of skill and quality of work done. As befits a Special Forces - Special criteria. At special events, where specially managed to look and I (unfortunately, was present at the site only in the first of two days), demonstrating their skills in front of special judges and colleagues on "craft" specially trained people. The event had the status of an open competition for a special fire training was dedicated to the memory of the security forces and military personnel killed in the line of military duty. At the landfill, which brought together to measure themselves special forces acted rules adopted in IPSC
                              I like how you go for something different and not just mainstream infantry
                              Thanks Coz. Sadly I would have to start from scratch in Digi-flora and the cost would be prohibitive (6B27 helmet and cover $150, 6B13 or 6B23 Body Armour $350, 6sh112 vest $150 plus the uniform and cap etc). if I get a little wind fall i would be tempted.

I found a pic of SURPAT used on Ops. Taken in Dagestan (where else) this year, it is an FSB ROSN PKM gunner shown briefly in a youtube news report on an Anti-terror op:

Resolution is poop so sorry about that.

And lastly some comparison pics taken between SURPAT and Propper multicam. I would say that apart from very arid areas, SURPAT is probably the better camouflage. Just an opinion, nothing more. Anyway heres the link:

http://tacr.wordpress.com/category/c...ussian-surpat/

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

nellboy Find out more about nellboy
                              Working...
                              X