Tanfoglio Witness 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanfoglio Witness 1911

Please note that this is not airsoft, but a CO2 air pistol. Moderators please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place.

I bought the 'Tanfoglio Witness 1911' last week, wanted to tell you about it, and as it is said to be a conversion of an earlier airsoft version it does at least relate to the subject of this forum.

It is full-metal, and I mean FULL-METAL. The only plastic parts are the grips and magazine loading part. Very solidly built, it fires .177/4.5mm steel BBs using 12g CO2 cartridges.

It is powerful, with a range in excess of 50 meters. It field strips just like the real thing, and is cheap...

Out of the selection of CO2 handguns my local gun shop has, this was one of the cheapest at just a tad under £110 brand new. Like I said, it's full metal, it field strips like the real deal and has slide blowback. Some of the guns by rival Umarex are up to and touching £200, and are mostly plastic, with no slide blowback, and don't field strip.

I highly recommend this gun for any Colt 1911 fans, from looking at a few YouTube videos it appears that this is one of the most realistic 1911 replicas you can buy. You can even interchange real grips with some minor filing.

This gun comes at much higher-quality and a cheaper price than many airsoft pistols, so if you just want a realistic handgun for plinking, forget airsoft and grab one of these.

As a disclaimer: This is a CO2 air pistol that fires steel BBs. It is not airsoft. DO NOT shoot at people or animals with it.

I haven't taken pics of mine yet, so here is the image of the gun from the distributor's website...

Re: Tanfoglio Witness 1911

Kwc make this & the airsoft version if you like it that much. I flipping love mine! Great performance and price

Comment

TM can fit RS grips straight on and with a nova or prime kit it is inarguably the most realistic 1911 RIF available.

- - - Updated - - -

TM can fit RS grips straight on and with a nova or prime kit it is inarguably the most realistic 1911 RIF available.
      Originally posted by Lt. Macka
      big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
        Inarguably? They're made of aluminium! I'd go with the Inokatsu all-steel 1911A1s that were licensed by Colt as the most realistic 1911 RIFs available. Not that this review appears to make any claim about the you-know-when-you've-been-Tanfoglio'd being the most realistic 1911 available...

Comment

Originally posted by Reamer View Post
          It field strips just like the real thing, and is cheap...

Like I said, it's full metal, it field strips like the real deal

from looking at a few YouTube videos it appears that this is one of the most realistic 1911 replicas you can buy. You can even interchange real grips with some minor filing.
          Originally posted by PureSilver View Post
          Not that this review appears to make any claim about the you-know-when-you've-been-Tanfoglio'd being the most realistic 1911 available...
          True, the OP doesn't claim "the most" but certainly does claim "one of the most".

I wouldn't consider it to be one of the most realistic.... Hell, I consider it to be a piece of Cybergun trash. Why anyone would spend over £100 is beyond me but then again some of my friends think I'm mad due to the money I spend on my guns and gear.

Comment

Originally posted by psirus101 View Post
            True, the OP doesn't claim "the most" but certainly does claim "one of the most".
            I apologize - I must have skimmed over that claim. You and I are in complete agreement about whether or not it's one of the most realistic replicas around.

Comment

Uh, I hadn't checked this topic for a few days as I assumed it was dead. But I see that I have caused a bit of a stir.

I wasn't intentionally making any claims that this gun was THE most realistic replica of a 1911, I just mentioned the facts regarding it being full-metal and that it fields strips just like the real thing. And the guy on YouTube who said it is one of the most realistic replicas he's seen, has a real 1911 and was comparing the two in the actual video.

What's the beef? It probably is one of the most realistic replicas of a 1911. I take the word of guys who compare to the real thing, not airsofters.

And why would it be a piece of 'Cybergun trash'? Cybergun is only the distributor, not the manufacturer nor the gun it's based on. Why would anyone spend over £100? What a stupid question, this gun is almost half the price of some top-end airsoft handguns... and you can arguably do more with this. Hell, what do you think about me spending £300 on a pair of airsoft Beretta M93Rs then... and they're not even truly full-metal!?

Comment

And why would it be a piece of 'Cybergun trash'? Cybergun is only the distributor, not the manufacturer nor the gun it's based on. Why would anyone spend over £100? What a stupid question, this gun is almost half the price of some top-end airsoft handguns... and you can arguably do more with this. Hell, what do you think about me spending £300 on a pair of airsoft Beretta M93Rs then... and they're not even truly full-metal!?
                It's not the gun so much, it's the fact that Cybergun are ruining airsoft in places like France. They are not popular right now, and rightly so. I simply will not buy Cybergun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Apurturesci View Post
                  It's not the gun so much, it's the fact that Cybergun are ruining airsoft in places like France. They are not popular right now, and rightly so. I simply will not buy Cybergun stuff.
                  Well I'm sorry to hear that, but being in the UK and not being involved with airsoft for this purchase, that's not my problem. How are Cybergun damaging airsoft, may I ask?

Comment

Well I'm sorry to hear that, but being in the UK and not being involved with airsoft for this purchase, that's not my problem. How are Cybergun damaging airsoft, may I ask?
                    I understand, but funding Cybergun is not on my agenda, and many UK airsofters agree. They are patenting names like 'Tokyo Marui' and 'Hop Up', as if they own the term, to either charge tax on any of these products imported, or just stop them being bought entirely. In places like France, you can not get non-Cybergun guns cheaply - if it has 'Hop Up' or 'AEG' in the name, Cybergun will up the price. Just go to any French airsoft/toy shop. Cybergun everywhere.

Comment

What's the beef? It probably is one of the most realistic replicas of a 1911. I take the word of guys who compare to the real thing, not airsofters.
                      The beef is that this is an airsoft forum not a generic BB gun forum.

And why would it be a piece of 'Cybergun trash'? Cybergun is only the distributor, not the manufacturer nor the gun it's based on.
                      Because I think its a piece of Cybergun trash, Cybergun don't care what they rebrand, some is good, some is bad.... All become Cybergun trash imo.

Why would anyone spend over £100? What a stupid question, this gun is almost half the price of some top-end airsoft handguns...
                      But its not a top end airsoft gun.... Its not even an airsoft gun. Why that f*ck would I spend £100 odd on something just to plink in my back garden? Why wouldn't I buy an airsoft pistol so I could plink and play airsoft aswell?

and you can arguably do more with this.
                      Nothing that I would want to do though.

Hell, what do you think about me spending £300 on a pair of airsoft Beretta M93Rs then... and they're not even truly full-metal!?
                      The KWA M39R is a nice piece, I have the old ksc hardkick model and its also a fun pistol, for £300 on a pair I hope they're NS2/Sys7 if they were brand new, if not I hope you got a load of mags with them or you've been had over.

I hate the term full metal as its an old archaic term that these days is mostly used by people to make cheap chinese pot metal sound better. Its not even accurate, is that a metal hop rubber in there? Are those metal gas seals? Of course they aren't. Do I care that they aren't full metal... No I don't.

Comment

Apurturesci - Thanks for the explanation about Cybergun.

psirus101 - I'm well aware that this is an airsoft forum and not a generic BB gun forum, but as the gun in question has a direct airsoft counterpart and also uses an airsoft 'heritage' gas system, I thought it might be of interest to some people.

Cybergun haven't rebranded this gun, there are no markings on the gun whatsoever that say 'Cybergun'. The only names are Tanfoglio and KWC. Even the Cybergun label on the box is just a sticker. Cybergun in this case really is just the distributor, not like ASG rebranding KWA, etc. guns with actual markings that say 'ASG'.

I never said it was a top-end gun, but clearly from the build quality and weight of the materials involved, it is certainly a direct rival to the most expensive airsoft handguns you can buy... like I said, for twice the price.

What you wish to do with a gun is your business, therefore it is your opinion only. Not a fact.

Yeah, my pair of KWA M93Rs are both NS2/System 7. I paid £150 for each... one was brand new... the other was second-hand but with two extra mags, so three in total with that particular purchase.

Well obviously the term 'full-metal' doesn't include components that are meant to be made of rubber and plastic. You just made yourself sound like a fool. Anyone knows that 'full-metal' means that the parts should be metal that are metal on the real thing. And we all know that they are made of cheap Chinese pot metal, did anyone ever think otherwise? In general airsoft is a rip-off hobby and I only got my '93Rs because they are just too awesome not to have! Otherwise I'd have settled on some AEG that was cheaper and possibly 'better' at what I wanted it for. Whether you care if a gun is full-metal or not is, again, your opinion. If people wish to get a full-metal gun, it's up to them. The only beef I have with the label 'full-metal' is the fact that most guns nowadays with that term in actual fact have polymer frames (handguns anyway). Were they ever truly 'full-metal', before all the cheapo brands started wading in?

I'm sorry that you didn't care much for my topic, but its this kind of airsoft elitism you display that will end up killing the sport, at least at the grass roots level... not distributors rebranding and having a monopoly on the market in certain countries.

Comment

psirus101 - I'm well aware that this is an airsoft forum and not a generic BB gun forum, but as the gun in question has a direct airsoft counterpart and also uses an airsoft 'heritage' gas system, I thought it might be of interest to some people.
                          Great, but at no point in your OP did you mention the "heritage" gas system, all you posted up was a shitty ass review that was about as useful as the ones that come from those sites selling only two tone crap.

Cybergun haven't rebranded this gun, there are no markings on the gun whatsoever that say 'Cybergun'. The only names are Tanfoglio and KWC. Even the Cybergun label on the box is just a sticker. Cybergun in this case really is just the distributor, not like ASG rebranding KWA, etc. guns with actual markings that say 'ASG'.
                          As far as I'm concerned even the sticker is too much, Cybergun adds nothing to the hobby and is just leeching money from a niche hobby by buying up the rights to trade marking. I like many others refuse to buy Cybergun trash.

I never said it was a top-end gun, but clearly from the build quality and weight of the materials involved, it is certainly a direct rival to the most expensive airsoft handguns you can buy... like I said, for twice the price.
                          So what is it made from? Aluminium? Pressed steel? Cast iron? Or more likely cheap ass chinese pot metal. For the same money I could have bought a nice airsoft gbb pistol by WE or KWA. Both of those brands I prefer over KWC.

What you wish to do with a gun is your business, therefore it is your opinion only. Not a fact.
                          Can I shoot someone with it? No, that would probably get me some years of my life lost in prison to a firearms offence. So I can plink in the garden.....? What else can I do?

Well obviously the term 'full-metal' doesn't include components..... brands started wading in?
                          But its not full metal. The term full metal comes from the days when the choice was either a TM with a plastic body or a TM with an after market "FULL METAL" body kit. Like I said in my last post its an archaic term that doesn't have a place in modern airsoft and is only kept alive by people wanting to make cheap chinese pot metal sound better.

I'm sorry that you didn't care much for my topic, but its this kind of airsoft elitism you display that will end up killing the sport, at least at the grass roots level... not distributors rebranding and having a monopoly on the market in certain countries.
                          Yes I display AIRSOFT elitism not generic BB gun elitism. Had your OP been about an airsoft gun I wouldn't have posted up. If my elitism stops one person from using a non airsoft BB gun at a skirmish day then I hope more people are as elite as I am.

Comment

Well my post wasn't even intended as a review, but it got moved here so someone saw it as that. I was merely informing people of a decent Colt 1911 replica, aimed at those who are willing to extend their arsenal beyond airsoft (but not of a totally different nature).

Like I said before, I wasn't aware of the whole Cybergun saga but as I'm only a casual airsofter, it doesn't (and I won't allow it to) affect me.

I don't know what metal it's made from but it is of a much higher quality and heavier grade than any airsoft gun I've seen. The slide really is a meaty, solid piece... you can really see this when it's stripped down.

Of course you can't shoot someone with it, but you have a wider variety of targets to choose from. With airsoft, plinking is pretty much limited to paper and light cardboard targets. At least with firing steel BBs at a relative velocity you can open your doors to things like soft drinks cans, fruit, vegetables, clay pigeons, clay flower pots, glass, etc... and at a greater distance.

But... it IS full-metal. What is your problem? All the parts that need to be metal, are. All the parts that are metal on the real thing, are... unless not so because of the airgun nature of some components.

Why would anyone use a non-airsoft BB gun on a skirmish day? You're just making issues out of nothing. I even had the decency to put a disclaimer saying that it is not an airsoft gun and shouldn't be used as such. The fact that you admit that you're 'elite' just means that you are intolerant to other people's opinions and airsoft brands that you might think are 'cheap and nasty'. It's all well-and-good taking your hobby seriously, but in my experience, elitists in any subject are just plain douchebags. Inform, without being overwhelming. Educate, without being a bully.

Anyway, this is my last post as I can see this going on and on if I don't put a stop to it.

And congratulations, you have also stopped me posting anything here at all in future. You think you know best, so why bother?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Reamer Find out more about Reamer
                            Working...
                            X