monkeys xdm review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monkeys xdm review

Right, several weeks ago I bombarded this place with a “what am bestest xdm gnu!!!!!!11!!!” thread. In the spirit of giving something back, I thought I would do my own detailed review of the WE xdm. Ive now managed to use this gun over the course of 4 game days in a variety of settings in both woodland and cqb. I dont tend to play nicley with my toys and often end up battering them off rocks my face mud etc etc..so I would say ive given this quite a battering. Ive gone through approx 1000 rounds so far and my review is based on this usage.

IMAG0414.jpg

First impressions

well it nicley packaged and feels good in the hand. The blank firing device that holds down the spring is a nice touch. The finish seems mostly good but there are a few serious let downs. The metal wasnt finished on my slide and recoil rod and needed some sanding and adjustment. My suggestion is if you buy this gun, you will also need some ultra fine sand paper. I had to sand down the significant edge left over from manufacture on both the recoil rod and slide. One I had done this, the gun cycled so much more smoothly. The lubrication from factory was also crap. Absolutley dreadful. Some form of lumpy jelly had been applied in splodges at random intervals in the gun. It was all removed and replaced with silicone spray. Again, after this the improvement was huge. Now, I had what felt like a truly excellent pistol and all for 20 minutes careful work.

Shooting

well bugger me its loud. I tried this with the hop off and 0.2 g bbs...straight up like a 90 degree vertical climb out the end of the barrel. 0.25 were mildly better, curving up after 20 metres on our range (marked and measured out range) 0.28's turn this into a wonderful piece of kit. 0.28 reach out to 50 metres on our marked out range with a very good level of accuracy (2 foot by 2 foot target and an 80% hit rate from standing). I dont know if WE have stolen TM hops or have simply fed their engineers crack..either way I am happy. Given that normal WE pistols had a range of 20 meters.

Now lots of reviews are concentrating on the performance of the gun in reasonable temperatures, this is well documented and so I wont go over it again (mag and a half to two mags in normal temperatures). What I will say is that in the cold this gun performs excellently . First time I used this gun it was 2'C ambient temperature according to my car thermostat and the remaining timed have been around 6 to 8'C..again according to Mr Renault. Now most people who have picked up a WE pistol in less than sahara like heat will know previous models have shot about three shots and vented. The WE luger for example..while great to wave around mid game shouting “schwanz lecker ich habe dein muter gefickht !!” and other such badly translated german profanaties, was useless. Not so with the XDM, in cold weather 9 times out of ten you will cycle the whole mag and the gun will lock back on the last round. Rounds will also (suprisingly for a we) come out the end of the gun and travel 30 metres with a satisfying squeal from your opponent as the are applied at velocity (30 metres was the furthest distance I could get in the cqb site on a cold friday night). At 2.c the gun chronoed at 255 fps on green gas with a variance of - 8fps by the last round. At 8.c it chronoed at 280 something with green gas..i forgot to write it down im afraid. But it was consistent in both range and distance.

Internals

well ive already seen the gun is consistent so it can follow the internals are made reasonably well. Evidence of a less than horrific pot metal are evident as are some steel parts inside. The firing mechanism seems to be mostly constructed of a well made metal that has been milled, indicating it would have a respectable tensile strength..far better than those of previous models. The barrel is brass and im guessing the slide could be aluminium. The grip frame is a nylon reinforced plastic of some kind. (think g&g combat machines but with a nicer texture and less wobble) internally the parts fit together well but a little barrel wobble is evident if you shake the gun...although why you would shake the gun is beyond me..it doesn’t affect accuracy so it seems okay.

The paint.. dear god the paint is crap. Within about two magazines the paint had begin to flake off on the outer barrel by 500 or so rounds its in bits. Eventually I gave in and polished the paint off the parts of the slide that were rubbing, this had an asthetic effect and appeared to make the gun cycle a little easier.

IMAG0420.jpgIMAG0421.jpg

Magazines

I prefer the WE magazines over the TM ones...hows that for a shock. In a breif comparison the WE has a better fill valve and was more consistent over the chrono than the TM magazine. The WE does have the draw back that if the magazines gets silly cold it will not hold gas, leaking from the release valve, but otherwise..excellent and 4 quid cheaper than the TM.

Conclusion

this is a surprising gun from WE. They perhaps have stolen some of the TM staff and have them locked in a dungeon somewhere redesigning their guns, I am really pleasantly surprised by this gun. It is accurate to an exceptional range, reliable (so far) and pleasing. Will I still be using it in years..I hope so. WE have released spare parts and I hope will continue to do so. I think if WE continue in the same vein the could begin to give their competitors some serious headaches, especially when competitively priced. The gun tolerates being filthy really well, it ended up in a puddle of mud and after removing the lumpy bits it continued to fire excellently. It works in cold weather, it works in warm weather, its simple to strip and clean.

I am dissapointed by the paint finish on the barrel and recoil rod, but the finish on the slide is excellent, I have had a few screws come loose, but these have been tightened and will be loctited later, but in the xdm's defense..it has been abused. the gun did require some finishing as there were some rough edges to fix.

Its a great gun all round gun, simple as. Only a few minor niggles prevent it from being a world beater
    -'Sly villain! Thou does not acknowledge thine hits!'
    -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Re: monkeys xdm review

Very nice review - I've been allergic to WE pistols due to how one of my mates got on with his (brand new) P226 - the loading nozzle broke after 20 or so rounds.

The XDM on the other hand is a gorgeous bit of kit - two team mates have it and love it, and when most of our pistols weren't working that well(at copehill with ice on the ground at 8am) theirs were cracking out rounds like it was a summers day!
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

it is weird isnt it, its like we have re done their entire factory. I mean i had some henious WE pistols. This is entriely different.
      -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

so where are we....one month and 6000 rounds later.

well the news isnt too good. we now have a double tap then vent the mag feature. no idea how to fix it. im gutted

moral of the story...same old WE.

Comment

Ouch! I'll keep you updated on how my team-mate's xdms fare - as they love them, but have put nowhere near that many rounds through them.

Comment

nope, i used mine constantly for several cqb game days on the trot (im assuming 6000 as ive gone through two bottles of blasters before anyone asks)

any advice most gratefully recived

Comment

Sounds like the trigger parts are sticking maybe? My KWA did the same, try lubing the valve knocker and working the action a few times.

Sounds silly, but I take it this is with a full mag of gas?
              - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Just got an IMI Defence holster for my TM XDM. Was a very tight fit on the slide but nothing a little bit of hot water couldn't sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphy View Post
                  Sounds like the trigger parts are sticking maybe? My KWA did the same, try lubing the valve knocker and working the action a few times.

Sounds silly, but I take it this is with a full mag of gas?

I've tried, yes it is the first ten shots of any full magazine. Tried lower pressure gasses too.

Comment

My XDM has a similar problem also. After about 1k rounds, it decided to turn itself into a glock 18c
                    Now it only fires on full auto and I don't have a clue how to fix it. Its a shame really because I was in love with the thing until this happened

Comment

ashame. i think its time to save up and buy a tm

Comment

Good excuse to buy another gun eh? And those Nova slide and outer barrel kits look rather nice too! Still a shame about the WE though, hopefully the WE mags work ok in the TM

Comment

it is gutting, but someone hypothesised it may be the hammer sear that has gone..

Comment

Even not experienced any problems with mine yet. A lad I know had a full auto issue that was solved by spraying some silicon into the slide valve.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

Comment

It sounds like that could be the problem (Ironically i've seen this issue in g18s when the auto sear has failed)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

the_monkey Find out more about the_monkey
                              Working...
                              X