Looking for a WE Gen4 Glock 17 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a WE Gen4 Glock 17 Review

Considering getting a WE GEN-4 Glock 17 to act as a backup for my TM G17.

Just wondering if there's any reviews out there for the Gen4 specifically - or can one of you guys give me a basic review if you own one?

Thanks

Re: Looking for a WE Gen4 Glock 17 Review

I think the only differences between gen 3 and gen 4 (airsoft versions) are cosmetic, internally I believe they are identical
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Have used them multiple times at a certain retailer I help out with sometimes. Bloody amazing pistol, way better than it's TM counterpart in my opinion.

I would highly recommend getting one, so far the only problem I have heard from them is someone's outer barrel broke after something like 3000rds. Dirt cheap to replace anyway.

I'd say go for it, WE have really upped their game and are now producing some of the best gas pistols on the market, personally.
      My collection now consists of WE SIGs and I'm looking at getting a WE G17 and G34 sometime soon
      IF YOU HAVE ANY L7A2 GPMG PARTS FOR SALE PLEASE MESSAGE ME

Comment

I had a G18, whilst I wouldn't go as far as saying WE am bestest, it is a decent gun from a build quality perspective, at least externally. My outer barrel never broke but it is common, the paint finish is poor IMO and in cold weather it was next to useless.

Give the KJ Works a try, I've heard they're decent.
        - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

ive got both the TM g17 Gen3 and the WE g17 Gen4

they arn't even in the same ballpark.
          lets start with external build quality. TM, while ABS plastic is reliable with many replaceable parts. WE on the other hand, after about 2 magazines the paint begins to wear off around the outer barrel..although strip the paint it the outer barrel looks very cool polished. Irritatingly the magazine release on the WE gen 4 does sometimes catch in the open position, needing the use of a small screwdriver to reset. Trivial on a range, deeply annoying mid game.

internally parts are vaugley the same. The TM is obviously of a higher quality and harder metal. Everything runs smoothly from the box.The WE has many rough edges and poor internal finish requiring touching up with sand paper or a file to ensure the smooth running. Out of the box its a bit juddery and catches when you rack the slide. However what the WE does brilliantly is reinforce the inside front of the frame with a hard plastic shock absorber. This is lacking in the TM and shows that at some time WE obviously thought about their product.

Performance Oh dear god, this is where there is a huge difference. The TM you can tap as fast as you can pull the trigger, The WE you can catch it out of battery and the response is sluggish in comparison. When you catch the WE out of battery it causes all manner of chaos and pain. Range wise...BWHAHHA, run both on .25 gram the TM will reach out and touch as far as a good AEG at 280 FPS on green gas. The WE will reach out to about 35 to 40 metres, although at 300-310 FPS. This raises another point, the TM is consistent, dropping 7 fps over an entire magazine, the WE varies up to 30fps over the course of a magazine.

efficiency right, simply put. If i fire a magazine with the WE to the point where the slide wont lock back, i can then shoot an entire magazines worth of shots out of the TM and the slide still locks back. This is at ambient temperature in a room with green gas.

magazine WE magazine...its far better than the TM magazine for several reasons...I know, im shocked too. The TM has a smaller fill valve that spews gas as you fill. The WE has a wider fill valve with an O ring in the bottom meaning it is silent to fill, leaks no gas and is generally more fun. The paint is however crap on the WE magazine. The release valve is much of a muchness between the two, although the WE seems to give more consistency shot to shot than the TM magazine.

Swapsies We slide does not fit on TM frame, However bizarrely TM slide fits on WE frame and will fire without problem. Recoil spring is exchangeable between the two. Annnddd thats it, internals wont swap around without great pain.

conclusion

The good The WE has obviously had a bit of thought put into it rather than a carbon copy. There are little features like some steel internals, the shock absorber and well made recoil spring and rod. The internals look like they needed some finishing, but im guessing the gun was designed to meet a price point rather than a quality point. This is the crux of it really. The TM was designed to be an excellent airsoft pistol and sod the cost. The WE was designed to be mass produced to meet a specific price.

the badBoth guns have drawbacks, the WE slide is SO heavy that is slows the gun down immensely. The trigger safety on the WE glock doesn't always reset meaning that at random intervals the WE glock has no functional safety. The internals need finishing, there is flash and rough bits everywhere, expect to spend a couple hours with a micro file making everything match perfectly, However when you do it will be reasonable..not excellent. The biggest diffrence you can make to the WE glock is to remove the paint and polish the crap out of the outer barrel. There is a limited number of spare parts for the WE, i have found WE customer service so far to be laughable. As for the TM, the slide will eventually eat itself if you run it on anything other than 144a, but there are many many many spare parts to meet every budget. Airsoft Canada forums have an excellent glock guide, basically PGC are the best but most expensive aftermaket parts. go look there.

The ugly the longevity of both is questionable. WE will eventually wear out due to the cheese metal it is created from. TM will eventually eat the slide as..well..its plastic. But you can replace TM parts with either TM or aftermarket. WE...yeah good luck.

and so?
          The TM is a good replica but plastic. It is a good reliable skirmish gun that if repairable, upgradable and replaceable. You can burp rounds through it all day long. It has huge range and is accurate.

The WE fails as a replica, it has no trademarks on it..so its not a collectors item. It is a moderately acceptable skirmish gun, but it is not efficient or massively accurate. Where it does excel is the magazines, far better in my opinion.

so, the TM costs an extra 20 quid, for this you get double the gun. The WE is widely available for £99 quid. My honest opinion, Buy a TM and then later buy a WE. one serves as spares for the other, or the WE is for use during the summer, the TM for the winter.
          -'Sly villain! Thou does not acknowledge thine hits!'
          -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

I have to disagree with much of that and will answer each point when it's not midnight

Comment

Great review Monkey..I'm really looking forward to 1st Commando's counter points, these sort of things are really helpful to everyone, thanks guys.
              "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

I had a WE glock 18c gen 4.

I liked it a lot, personally monkey I felt like the range and accuracy were really quite good, however like you said the build quality is shit
                the metal scratched instantly on the slide and the outer barrel as well. Also the mag release kept getting stuck which was a complete pain the ass, and trying to get the WE to work in the cold effectively was damn near impossible.

Guess it kinda depends on the budget, if I were to get another glock I would get the TM just considering I have heard wonders about the pistol, and I dont care about airsoft guns being plastic, since it gives better resistance to cool down.

Comment

Spas cat, that said the TM is not perfect, nor is the KWA. I just think that GBB pistols are mostly...and so very unfortunately hard beasts to maintain.

I wish someone made a pistol out of abolsutley bulletproof components, id happily drop a couple hundred or more to have a reliable fully functional never ever needs to be fixed or tinkered with version...but then I would get bored.
                  -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

I'm sure if people were willing to pay real steel prices then that wouldn't be an issue. We have to remember that even the likes of TM make replicas at a fraction of the cost of the weapons they're emulating. At just under £100 for a Glock 17 replica, can we really be surprised that it breaks?

Sent from a phone because I cba to fire up my poota.
                    - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Of course no pistol is perfect. But hey ho as long as you look after your pistols they should work fine

Comment

Originally posted by the_monkey View Post
                        I just think that GBB pistols are mostly...and so very unfortunately hard beasts to maintain.
                        Really, only thing I do is a quick spray of oil and use a good gas with oil in it to preserve the mag seals. No need constantly stripping and cleaning some thing that doesn't really get dirty, you'll just wear parts faster.

Comment

after all this talk....anyone else just want to go out and buy a glock 17 now ?!
                          FOR SALE:
                          TRI AN/PRC 152 Radio package

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1451643

Comment

no..now I want to buy a g18c and do the same...

Comment

I ended up buying one of the WE G17s, and invested in 3 CO2 mags for it... It went back to the shop the same week as it was absolutely terrible. Couldn't get more than 2 shots out of it without it double or triple feeding, absolute dog cr*p!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

aaron-hill09 Find out more about aaron-hill09
                              Working...
                              X