Russian MTP or DPM Loadout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Russian MTP or DPM Loadout?

Basically MVD units are allowed to be supplied or sponsored by commercial 'military kit' firms like SPLAV. SPLAV make everything they do in a dozen camo patterns including copies of DPM, US Woodland, US tri colour, urban coloured woodland pattern etc as well as more traditional interior ministry patterns like Kamysh (you see it a lot in its blue form with OMON units and a mix of it in blue and green in Chechnya).

The last few pics do indeed show the darker type of green kamysh but it also comes in an almost yellow green and a much lighter grass green.

If you look at pics from the Beslan siege you'll see the MVD troops there in a bewildering mix of camo patterns, up to five or six different patterns in the same platoon!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as i found out at a game last weekend so high up we were pretty much in a cloud and torrential rain....

SPLAV waterproof suits... are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
      Basically MVD units are allowed to be supplied or sponsored by commercial 'military kit' firms like SPLAV. SPLAV make everything they do in a dozen camo patterns including copies of DPM, US Woodland, US tri colour, urban coloured woodland pattern etc as well as more traditional interior ministry patterns like Kamysh (you see it a lot in its blue form with OMON units and a mix of it in blue and green in Chechnya).

The last few pics do indeed show the darker type of green kamysh but it also comes in an almost yellow green and a much lighter grass green.

If you look at pics from the Beslan siege you'll see the MVD troops there in a bewildering mix of camo patterns, up to five or six different patterns in the same platoon!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and as i found out at a game last weekend so high up we were pretty much in a cloud and torrential rain....

SPLAV waterproof suits... are not.
      So I would be correct to have DPM with MVD badges?

Comment

The above photos aren't Kamyshovy, this is what Kamysh should look like (with thanks to Michelwijnand):

This is a very, very common mistake. It's actual name is камышовый рисунок - Reed figure or Kamyshovy Risunok. People mistake the Kamush pattern as Kamysh due to the very similar name and similar coloured pattern.
        Main differences is Kamysh is vertical due it replicating reeds (unless anyone knows horizontally growing reeds?) and Kamush being horizontal.

This is Kamush, and is shown in the first and second picture posted by LiveKarma. The first picture, of course, being Internal Troops belonging to Security and Military Colleges formation.

Unfortunately you wouldn't be correct LiveKarma. While DPM and SMOG are similar, they are different. To the untrained eye they look the same, but rest assured I'd notice a mile away. The cut of the uniform also is much different. You could do it and get away with it, but as I linked to you there are cheaper and easier options than SMOG that are still Russian. Such as Digiflora.

[Edit]

SMOG:

DPM:
        Last edited by RedHawk; 21 August, 2013, 13:17.

Comment

Smog is pretty much a darker DPM variant. DPM is a great camo for the UK, but it uses more poisonous, brighter colours seen in the UK countryside whe nthe vegetation is in bloom. The darker version of DPM in my opinion is far more effective in other environments outside of the UK as it stands out a fair bit less, especially in Russian vegetation that tend to be a fuller, darker green. It is in fact used a LOT, mostly by the MVD.

If you want to make a cheap Russian loadout, and don't want to order and Russian camo from abroad (perfectly understandable, it's expensive), older, faded DPM will work as a base. Multicam would, but you need a lot of Russian kit on top for it to be distinguishable from the hordes of other operators. That and I don't really understand the appeal of multicam, I think it looks pretty bad, but to each his own. The few times you do see Russians wearing multicam and foreign kit is due to the multiple blue-on-blue incidents in Afghanistan during joint anti-drug operations with the Yanks.

DPM with a black or OD Russian vest or load-bearing equipment and an AKM, AK-74, AK-74M (or derivatives thereof) would be the best option. I have seen a lot of mixing and matching of camouflages such a KLMK with Flora vests, SMOG (DPM) with Flora vests, black vests, VSR vests, etc. but I find that only the real dudes make it look authentic and not as comical, it takes a lot of effort and money, I think.

As said before, good way to start would be getting some older DPM, a vest that resembles one of the multitudes of Russian ones on the market (doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same model, look up on Google pictures of the MVD in SMOG and pick an existing vest easily obtainable in the UK that at least resembles it, I gave a friend of mine a Pantac low-profile armoured vest in black and it definitely looks the part). Kneepads and other kit should preferably be OD, though. Tan wouldn't really work. Headgear is simple, if you can't find a proper hat, an OD bandana, unfolded or rolled-up balaclava will do, or a simple wool hat.

And that's a decent starting point. Just please don't make the mistake of wearing an Ushanka hat with your "Russian" uniform. Actual Russian airsoft forums have entire sections dedicated to laughing at foreigners in ridiculous-looking "Russian" loadouts, and in my opinion wearing an Ushanka in non-winter kit in an airsoft game is just as racist as going to KFC in black-face.

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamarov View Post
            Smog is pretty much a darker DPM variant. DPM is a great camo for the UK, but it uses more poisonous, brighter colours seen in the UK countryside whe nthe vegetation is in bloom. The darker version of DPM in my opinion is far more effective in other environments outside of the UK as it stands out a fair bit less, especially in Russian vegetation that tend to be a fuller, darker green. It is in fact used a LOT, mostly by the MVD.

If you want to make a cheap Russian loadout, and don't want to order and Russian camo from abroad (perfectly understandable, it's expensive), older, faded DPM will work as a base. Multicam would, but you need a lot of Russian kit on top for it to be distinguishable from the hordes of other operators. That and I don't really understand the appeal of multicam, I think it looks pretty bad, but to each his own. The few times you do see Russians wearing multicam and foreign kit is due to the multiple blue-on-blue incidents in Afghanistan during joint anti-drug operations with the Yanks.

DPM with a black or OD Russian vest or load-bearing equipment and an AKM, AK-74, AK-74M (or derivatives thereof) would be the best option. I have seen a lot of mixing and matching of camouflages such a KLMK with Flora vests, SMOG (DPM) with Flora vests, black vests, VSR vests, etc. but I find that only the real dudes make it look authentic and not as comical, it takes a lot of effort and money, I think.

As said before, good way to start would be getting some older DPM, a vest that resembles one of the multitudes of Russian ones on the market (doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same model, look up on Google pictures of the MVD in SMOG and pick an existing vest easily obtainable in the UK that at least resembles it, I gave a friend of mine a Pantac low-profile armoured vest in black and it definitely looks the part). Kneepads and other kit should preferably be OD, though. Tan wouldn't really work. Headgear is simple, if you can't find a proper hat, an OD bandana, unfolded or rolled-up balaclava will do, or a simple wool hat.

And that's a decent starting point. Just please don't make the mistake of wearing an Ushanka hat with your "Russian" uniform. Actual Russian airsoft forums have entire sections dedicated to laughing at foreigners in ridiculous-looking "Russian" loadouts, and in my opinion wearing an Ushanka in non-winter kit in an airsoft game is just as racist as going to KFC in black-face.

Thank you so much for this reply and the picture! Im going to buy a black vest , black helmet and knee pads to go over the DPM. I also have a SVD Sniper but am looking into buying some sort of AK

Comment

For cheaper options if you're starting out, Cyma AKS-74U's are good. The best option is currently the AK-105 on sale at a Base used for Patrols (wink-wink) for a not too low, but not too high price. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there is anything in stock in the UK for a low price that will be decent. Don't get the older Cymas, either.

For a higher price, LCT AK-74's, and Cyma 040 and up are good as well. Don't bother with ICS, APS, and G&G AK's. ICS don't have the sturdiest stocks or bodies, APS will just fall apart in your hands, and even the new G&G's have significant weakness in the stocks (not to mention the 11.1v proprietary battery causes it to cycle far too fast, so semi-auto doesn't work properly, which will be a problem at CQB and some FIBUA sites).

Another thing, Russian helmets are very distinguishable, any old replica helmet won't work. What will work, however, is if you get a replica Viper helmet with a DPM cover. It'll resemble a 6B7 and will match the camo, like the dudes in the pictures you posted before.

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

Best AK Manufacturers without a budget:

LCT, VFC, Real Sword, BO and Inokatsu.

All the above makes offer every spectrum in the Kalashnikov world with varying qualities. Obviously Inokatsu make superb guns for a high price whereas LCT/VFC/RS make cheaper, but still high quality, models. It's all down to your choice on AK if you have no budget.

With that said, CYMA do make some great guns for their price. As Kamarov has said, the 04X range come as standard with very good motors and decent gearboxes. The build quality feels solid and the finish is pretty good.

I can't comment on APS but ICS and G&G really do make naff AKs for the price. You can tell the people who are M4 owners because they buy an ICS AK to make them an afghan operat0r. It always makes me chuckle.

Comment

It's just really sad that barely anyone makes decent AK's anymore, and that most UK retailers don't even stock the proper ones.

Sure, there are some LCT's on the market, but most of them aren't proper AK-74's, AK-74M's, which meant I had to buy my AK-74M by LCT from abroad. Wasn't cheap. Sure, there are a lot of AIMS', AMD's, and others, but they will never fit a proper Russian loadout. That and I have an issue with LCT bolts. The rest of the gun is spectacular, but they just got lazy with the bolt. It's built very shoddily and isn't even the right shape. It has to be welded in order to stop it from snapping apart. Despite this, there are no other alternatives.

VFC are fantastic, but I find that they are a bit stupid. They make the best AK system for airsoft AEG's in my opinion, have a lot of cool parts, and then just discontinue them. They get all the details right, the Izhmash markings, the ejection port, the disassembly, in addition, because of the construction, they take pretty much any real parts. But as I said before, discontinued.

CYMA are great to start out with, the 040 series is superb. There are several problems with them, though. No one in the UK stocks them anymore, their price has risen (I got mine for 120 back in 2009 and it's still rocking) to 200 (while they are cheap as dirt on HK retailers, going for 139 USD in some cases), and some parts of it are flimsy due to potmetal. But thanks to the VFC system it is a clone of, the wobble and broken parts are very easy to fix, and only appear after at least a year and a half.

Inokatsu, good luck finding one. :P

Real Sword are fantastic, but they can have problems out of the box as I've had. Made worse is the fact they are out of stock everywhere and are Chinese stamped body AK-47 models, which wouldn't really fit.

BO looks beautiful, but again, LCT bolt.

APS are just terrible. Imagine Dboys, but with gearboxes made of cardboard. They all got sold off for pennies from all UK retailers with no warranty because so many people got them broken or they broke on the first day.

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

My VFC AK-105 is great, not had any problems and it makes a great base for a Polar Star. I've never really thought the LCTs were the best of the bunch - my personal opinion is that VFC are much better and worth the extra price.

Comment

As I said, VFC's are the best of the bunch.

Problem is, you can't find them anywhere anymore and VFC isn't making new ones. I would have bought one by now if they did.

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

Let's hope E&L will have some decent russian AK's.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

LiveKarma Find out more about LiveKarma
                        Working...
                        X