Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Is it illegal for an under 18 to ATTEMPT to purchase a RIF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal for an under 18 to ATTEMPT to purchase a RIF?

I've heard this said quite a few times, but, if it is the case, can someone point me in the direction of the law that actually specifies this.

Thanks.
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: Is it illegal for an under 18 to ATTEMPT to purchase a RIF?

I don't think it would be illegal. It's the sellers responsibility to check the buyers eligibility after all!

Comment

Yeah i'm with Coski. It is the sellers responsibility to check defense ect.. and rightly so most FB sales pages will name and shame a person who tries to purchase rifs with no valid defense and i imagine people report to moderators on here if it happens on the classifieds section.
      "Being offended provides no objective indication of "right" & "wrong". It's nothing more than a barometer of your own emotional control."- Ricky Gervais

Comment

Bollocks.

It is illegal for an under 18 to buy a RIF.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/40

Comment

it worries me that people even have to ask!!!!

yes, for the love of god its illegal, google.....ffs.....

Comment

Longshot- you seemed to of already asked this question here.... http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...-a-RIF-illegal

But it doesn't mention ATTEMPTING. Buying one is of course illegal if under age but as for attempting- well i hope it is illegal.
            "Being offended provides no objective indication of "right" & "wrong". It's nothing more than a barometer of your own emotional control."- Ricky Gervais

Comment

I suppose the difference in attempting and doing is the diligence of the seller.

But by attempting, you are clearly showing a willingness to buy. Going out equipped to break and enter is not breaking and entering.... But guess what.... Still not acceptable!

Comment

Ahhhhh i know it is Wikipedia but it's all i can find on attempting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_i...United_Kingdom

"Airsoft is not prohibited to persons under the age of 18, nor is owning a RIF, although the only way they are able to obtain a RIF or IF is by being given the item as a gift or by having parental consent. If someone under the age of 18 attempts to purchase an airsoft weapon, they are committing a crime and it may result in a fine.[33]"

So there we have it folks. It is 100% illegal to ATTEMPT a purchase of a rif if under 18. Amen.

Now can we never.....EVER have another thread posted about this again please!

Maybe a new years resolution....

Comment

I have a few thoughts on this thread. Being under 18 myself I have to know the law inside out to stay legal, but the first thing I find is that airsoft as a hobbie, including the two tone and limited custom ability of if, is totally limiting. I agree with the current laws, but not the defence. The defence is in place to stop the wrong people having possession of an RIF, yet all it takes is a can of spray paint.

What if the defence would be rewritten to allow the sport for younger players in mind, with out the devistating two tone and actually supplying some sort of regulated list to who has the right and trust to keep RIFs? At the moment the defence resembles more of an unstable structure which provides not much of an universal regulation. Because as far as I am aware there is currently no one who actually regulates the system of the ukara personally, it's all automated??
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by jakeas View Post
                    What if the defence would be rewritten to allow the sport for younger players in mind, with out the devistating two tone and actually supplying some sort of regulated list to who has the right and trust to keep RIFs? At the moment the defence resembles more of an unstable structure which provides not much of an universal regulation. Because as far as I am aware there is currently no one who actually regulates the system of the ukara personally, it's all automated??
                    J
                    The law won't be adjusted for the sake of anyone able to be legally seen as a child, this is a political matter, nobody wants to be associated with increased child death toll because some naive minors went swinging gun-like objects in public. Children are always considered naive and precious and so can't be trusted, or blamed. Two-tone exists only to put the ignorant at ease, it makes RIFs APPEAR more strictly regulated which was all that was/is necessary when applied.

Jake, as someone sub-18 you can get a non-two-tone gun as a gift as this shifts responsibility on to an adult who can take the full force of the law, this is the same with alcohol, knives, etc.

On topic though, it is not illegal for a minor to attempt to purchase a RIF, there is no law specifically against the attempt and so isn't illegal in itself but if the sale is successful, both parties are knee-deep in it.
                    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                    big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
                      On topic though, it is not illegal for a minor to attempt to purchase a RIF, there is no law specifically against the attempt and so isn't illegal in itself but if the sale is successful, both parties are knee-deep in it.
                      This sums it up nicely.

Attempting to buy am not be illegal in the strictest terms, but if a sale went through, both parties are potentially going to feel the full brunt of the law,which if memory serves (I have been heavy on the rum so memory may not serve) is 7 years at her majesties pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
                        I'm sorry but that's not right. As loki7491 said above, it is illegal under s.24A of the 1968 Firearms Act (inserted by s.40 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006) for minors to purchase imitation firearms (they don't have to be RIFs - just IFs):

Originally posted by Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006
                        40 Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        (1) After section 24 of the 1968 Act insert—
                        24A Supplying imitation firearms to minors

(1) It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm.
                        If a person above the age of criminal responsibility (10, though a Bill to raise that age to 12 is in the early stages of Parliamentary review) but under the age of 18 attempts but fails to purchase an imitation firearm, a crime may still have been committed:

Originally posted by Criminal Attempts Act 1981
                        1 Attempting to commit an offence.
                        (1) If, with intent to commit an offence to which this section applies, a person does an act which is more than merely preparatory to the commission of the offence, he is guilty of attempting to commit the offence. [...]

(4) This section applies to any offence which, if it were completed, would be triable in England and Wales as an indictable offence[.]

4 Trial and penalties.
                        (1) A person guilty by virtue of section 1 above of attempting to commit an offence shall— [...]
                        (b) if the offence attempted is indictable [...] be liable on conviction on indictment to any penalty to which he would have been liable on conviction on indictment of that offence[.]
                        Attempting to commit a criminal offence is a criminal offence (of attempt) in and of itself, if you take sufficient preparatory steps. Certainly offering money in order to buy something it would be an offence for you to buy would fall within this set of rules; almost all of the minors actively trying to buy RIFs are breaking the law regardless of whether or not they succeed.

Comment

I do so enjoy these threads.

I think we should have one every week, so anybody who joins the forum within that short term can ask whatever daft questions they like. As I often find Google and other search engines lack information on such subjects.
                          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Pure silver, sir,

I thank thee.

I thought my googlefoo / knowledge of such things was up to speed but I have never seen that. Please take pride (credit will be given) when in future threads I use this little gem.

Comment

I'm still waiting for some internet problem that will make the Law degree seem worthwhile!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                              Working...
                              X