Shotgun as a primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun as a primary

Need some advice on using a shotgun as a primary?

Re: Shotgun as a primary

Ok, what do you need to know?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Simples really......

You will be outgunned - Ammo, rate of fire, sustained accuracy.

However, if you have the right gaming style it will minimise these disadvantages. Timing, speed, aggression, tenacity etc will serve you well.

There was a time at Longmoor when a few us rinsed a much larger enemy force. While we were there congratulating ourselves on how great we were when a player sprinted round the corner, took us all by surprise and wasted us with a springer shotty!

Comment

Lots of spare shells at least 10, (for tri shotty) speed loader or two, dump pouch, and quick access to a couple of shells for when your in a squeeze.

You need to know roughly your range and pellet spread obviously, and aim to get close/behind your target, dont try to take on multiple targets at range (you'll run out of ammo too quickly) and be carefull when your close, count your shots (once again im going by tri-shotty) you only have 10, your enemys have the advantage of range, ammo count, fire rate and accuracy so take that away from them by playing smart.

This is what i learned from when i played a weekender last year with just my benelli M3 (my aeg died within 5 minutes of being there) and i had to learn it fast,

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Luke has covered it all really. I sometimes run the shotty and pistol. It's a real challenge in woodland but really rewarding and fun. In CQB it's real fun.

Think about being quick and sneaky and above all have fun, I've really found running around with the shotty brings back the fun in a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bumping this for some more specifics. I'm a huge newb.

Do you load in shells like real shotguns? Seems like this has the potential to be a problem. Or is that only for tri shots? I am looking for a first gun and I have loads of real shotgun experience. Pump action is all I shoot real life. I'm just wondering if there are non shell ejecting shotguns so all I have to keep up with are BBs.

Comment

Tbh mate if it's your first game you're asking for I would just rent an aeg and find out how you actually play first, I know you talked in another post (I'm not stalking it's on my newsfeed ha) about how you've paintballed and shot real steel. Airsoft is completely different! If you go out with a shotgun on your first game against aegs etc you are going to get minced.

You're best bet for a first gun is to get an aeg

CA M15A4 |

Comment

Originally posted by SW_matt View Post
                Tbh mate if it's your first game you're asking for I would just rent an aeg and find out how you actually play first, I know you talked in another post (I'm not stalking it's on my newsfeed ha) about how you've paintballed and shot real steel. Airsoft is completely different! If you go out with a shotgun on your first game against aegs etc you are going to get minced.

You're best bet for a first gun is to get an aeg

Any particular reason the shotguns won't be good for a first time?

Comment

Poor rate of fire, poor speed of reload, ammo carriage is restricted the list goes on. Everyone else will be running aegs with 120/300 rounds mags chucking out 15 BBs a second.

As I said any real shooting skills, whilst cool, won't carry across, aiming shots is totally different, you won't use any of the same tactics etc, milsim perhaps to an extent

CA M15A4 |

Comment

I've used a shotgun (m870 breacher) as a primary at both FIBUA and CQB sites. Was hands down the most fun I've had airsofting. Not tried it at a woodland site but I wouldn't rule it out.

Comment

used my breacher at gz woodland to great effect and fun coupled with a mate with a full sized m870 both on HPA we had ALOT of fun

If Carlsberg made Airsoft teams..............They would still get raped by the G.Z.C.F

Comment

I frequently use either an M3 spring shotty or an M870 gas shotgun, both in woodland and urban environments. Urban they are great fun, especially at sites which limit you to semi auto only (Ground Zero Urban, for instance, or inside at Xsite Airsoft's Outpost), as you can usually keep pace in terms of laying down the fire, not to mention that the spread of your BBs helps hit more stuff. Which is sort of obvious, I know.

Woodland, however, it's a bit of a different game. You have to close the distance to REALLY be effective, which can be tricky, depending on the environment and those you are playing alongside. Still plenty of room for close quarters action, but be prepared to end up in some sticky situations, because even the best shotgun users will struggle when six AEGs are spraying your position or when a decent sniper has his eye on you from 60 meters away.

However, for your first gun, I'd recommend an AEG. Hell, pretty much any AEG, but a good example for an entry range gun would be one of G&G's combat machines, or a JG G36C (Yet to see a cheap gun that can match this for physical durability- seen these run into trees, mud, walls, barricades, even a helicopter and not flinch). Why? Simply put, they are far more versatile and much easier to use. You point and shoot. You get a decent range, decent rate of fire, decent accuracy. Means you can get a sample of everything, and see what you like, or what you have a flair for. Start yourself off with a shotgun, and you're a bit restricted (Providing, of course, you are at a site that allows for versatility of play).

In regards to how the shotguns work (For Stonewalls question), the tri-shot shotguns, like mine, take a small shell, which holds about 30 rounds, or ten shots of three bbs. You put this in the gun like you'd put a magazine in any airsoft gun. You pump, it loads three bbs, one into each barrel. You fire, it shoots all three, you repeat until empty. You then remove the shell, and load the next one. At no point does the shell eject, it's not like a real shotgun. There are SOME airsoft shotguns where the shells do eject, but these are rare, and require a lot of maintenance (at least in my experience) to run flawlessly. As such, the operation is more akin to a box fed bolt action rifle than to real steel shell using shotgun- insert magazine, pump to load the chamber, fire.

As such, your real world experience (probably) won't be tons of use- shooting real steel at targets is very different to airsoft (This is assuming you are a shotgun target shooter, not a soldier who has experience using a shotgun in combat- if so, you're probably more aware of these issues than I am!). The shooting experience couldn't be more different, as are tactics and play styles. Best bet, do what most beginners do. Rent an AEG and play a few games like that, you'll quickly pick it up and you'll learn what you are good at and what you enjoy. Then it's time to buy yourself a couple of sawn-offs.
                        G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
                        RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Shotgun as a primary

I want one

Not for primary. But maybe a backup

http://www.airsplat.com/hwasan-doubl...t-shotgun.html

Comment

I have one and if you stick to the original shells then your going to have a hard time as they like like a fahr bucher moulding press, but they are awsome fun and are are real head turner....but not so great on accuracy.....

I currently use my sawn off as a secondry with my galil, for when i get too close to use my galil it is the perfect close up gun :D.

I've recently bought a YS shotgun for an apocalypse game, i've tried it and tbh it could hold its own against an aeg at range, , its got an ajustable hop and fires at 340fps so i can get around the close range requirements.

L.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeCDC View Post
                              I have one and if you stick to the original shells then your going to have a hard time as they like like a fahr bucher moulding press, but they are awsome fun and are are real head turner....but not so great on accuracy.....

I currently use my sawn off as a secondry with my galil, for when i get too close to use my galil it is the perfect close up gun :D.

I've recently bought a YS shotgun for an apocalypse game, i've tried it and tbh it could hold its own against an aeg at range, , its got an ajustable hop and fires at 340fps so i can get around the close range requirements.

L.

Nice. I've always wondered about range for shotguns. Shouldn't be too hard to get the same as a rifle. Especially if it is a springer.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Azz32 Find out more about Azz32
                              Working...
                              X