• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we scar l review (aeg)

make: w.e
    model: fn scar l/ mk16 mod 0 (aeg)
    place of purchase: not zero one
    cost: £240 (rrp £255)

as far as i know, at the time of writing i am the first person in the country to purchase one of these rifles, definitely the first purchaser from a uk retailer anyway :p

Initial impressions:

Taking the rifle out the box i noticed straightaway how much lighter the fn is in comparison to other similar models such as my vfc 416 and my ics diemaco.
    Despite being lighter, the entire rifle feels solid, partly down to the use of a polymer lower, stock and grip.
    Metal parts include the upper reciever, outer barrel, rails and sights.

The folding, adjustable stock is a nice feature, although when folded it does leave the battery wiring exposed.
    The rifle is pretty bare when it comes to trademarks and markings, with just the mk16 markings on the left hand side.

Features:

The we scar has a couple of nice features which can be found in most of the we aeg range.
    The scar has an automatic spring release built in which occurs when the rifle is set to safe after use.
    pulling the charging handle back reveals the hop unit, the scar has a functioning bolt release which is handy for hop adjustment, the bolt release is also functional and works very crisply.
    Being an fn scar, the rifle has functional ambidextrous fire selectors and mag release buttons.

the scar comes with a built in front flip up sight and a rail mounted kac style buis.
    This version is the standard mk16 so comes with a 16 inch outer barrel, however this does screw off enabling the user to switch back to the shorter barreled version.

The rifle is rear wired to the stock, there is a bit of space but i'd reccomend smaller lipo's, i.e stock tube or up to 7.4 1450's maximum.

performance:
    As requested, this paticular rifle was blueprinted by jj of raptor airsoft and chrono'd at an aversage of 347 fps,
    on a 7.4v lipo the rof was quite tasty without reaching silly speed.
    with the hop adjusted and using .25 bb's the range out the box was very impressive, i'd guess at least 50-60 metres.

customisation options:
    pretty much any 20mm ris additions due to the quad rail front end
    most ar style pistol grips can be fitted, some may require modification

pro's:
    lighter than comparative m4/ar variants
    it's different, stands out amongst a sea of m4's ak's and g36's.
    built in spring release and working bolt catch make maintainance and tuning simple.
    bomb proof v2 we gearbox.

con's:
    battery space is quite tight, i jammed a 7.4 2600 lipo in there and ended up having to wedge it out resulting in it breaking, smaller batteries/ more care are advised.
    sling loops, for some reason fn have fitted the world most annoying sling loops, very few aftermaket slings will fit thourgh the loops.

conclusion:

in my opinion the scar is worth every penny.
    pricewise its fairly competitive for what i consider to be a high end aeg. (G&p, ics etc)
    the extra functions such as the spring release and bolt lock make it very simple to look after.
    out the box (disregarding the spring change and switch to deans connectors as these can be done free of charge according to buyers request) the performance is very impressive, to the point i don't feel the need to upgrade it any time soon

since purchasing the rifle i have since ordered a tango down pistol grip, vert grip and magpul fire selectors, all of which are compatible with the we aeg, gbb and vfc scar variants

no pictures right now due to poor lighting,
    any questions ask away
    Not to worry about breaking the law, as long as you're healthy.- spetsnazdave87

At which point I would mount my ride, which is a donkey called Akbar, and charge off into the enemy, lighting the grenades as I go

Re: we scar l review (aeg)

Nice review Will, thanks. You were indeed the first in the UK to get your sticky mitts on one, as Yosser and I were trying to do some video of the range of variants, but you'd bought the long barrelled L. We couldn't find you running around The Fortress, so instead, just did the Scar H and H SSR.

They're very well built and as you state, lighter in comparison to many metal bodied guns. No bad thing as the real life counterparts have dense polymer lowers. I'd definitely have one, but need to start saving my pennies to get it.
    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

i spoke to iain about getting some pics and stuff and was told to come back at lunch, came back and he was busy with customers unfortunately

At which point I would mount my ride, which is a donkey called Akbar, and charge off into the enemy, lighting the grenades as I go

Comment

Maybe next time?

Did you try different mag brands and capacities with it?
        There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Howdy mate, very interested in buying one of these as well, I don't suppose you could confirm it utilises a standard M4 hop unit, I'm pretty sure it does, but I can't find anywhere which says that it does for certain.
          Thanks

Comment

No they use a split type as found on the likes of the G36
            Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

So are they proprietary? or can they be interchanged with G36 hop units?

Comment

They are proprietary sorry to say, Not looked fully at the L's unit to see if I could get something else in there as I have spent more time on the H's atm

Comment

dammit, but in your opinion, the WE SCAR is a good gun?

Comment

Trying not to be biased, Yes they use the great WE v2 gearbox ( 5 year ago would never have seen my self saying that ! ), the finish was fine no mismatched parts or flash on the plastic the stock is solid.
                    For a scar I like them

Comment

very happy with it and i wouldn't reccomend it to anyone else purely for the selfish fact that i'm currently enjoying being the only one to have one :p
                      but in all seriousness there great,
                      i tested it with the included we hicap, dboys 416 mids, magpul pts emags, g&p mids and tm mids, all worked fine, the we though did need a solid slap to get it in as i noticed a couple of times it failed to lock in

Comment

I'm glad this review turned up when it did as I'm contemplating one myself. I don't know whether to go down the L route to utilise my existing M4 mags, making life easier and cheaper... Or buying the H and owning a pair of 7.62 battle rifles...

With regards to the WE Scar-H... What mags are they? Are they WE only or would something like the Magpul 7.62 Pmags fit?
                        The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

WE only for the H and so far I have only seen hi-cap's

Comment

That may be the deciding factor then...
                            The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

90% finished.

currently waiting on the following:
                              peq-16a
                              mx3 torch
                              dual control switch
                              scar-suppressor (for cqb)
                              Attached Files

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

army will Find out more about army will
                              Working...
                              X