Need advice on first gun load out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on first gun load out!

Hi, i'm pretty new to airsoft (Only 2 matches so far) but will be getting a gun as soon as i play my 3rd match, so the issue is what should i get?

i don't have a set budget, but obviously im not going for a £300 gun with a million attachments....
    i was thinking of getting a G&G cm16 raider (http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=6076) which has decent reviews and a great price for what i'm looking at. from the reviews i think this gun would be a decent first gun but i have a few questions that i can't find an answer to :/
    1) Would i be able to attach a suppressor to make the barrel longer? and would this improve accuracy much?
    2) would it be possible to replace the barrel with some type of tight bore barrel? and would this also improve accuracy?
    3) i heard that the front sights are not removable. would this get in the way of an EOTech 522 Holo sight on the top rail?

If anyone has info/experience with this gun i would love to hear their opinion on the gun, or if anyone has any suggestions for something different i would also be interested in that.

Thanks for any replies
    ~Barney626

Re: Need advice on first gun load out!

Barrel length is near enough irrelevant but you can put in a new barrel, it's just a standard AEG barrel. A tightbore does increase accuracy in practice. Assuming the front sight is bound to the barrel (different reports from different people, probably dependant on time of make) then the sight will get in the way of an eotech, but an ACOG Co-witnesses with the front sight so wouldn't be an issue.

G&G guns are all quality guns so you needn't worry but bare in mind, replacing internals is cheaper and easier than replacing externals so if there's something you prefer the look of, it's best to save for that tbh.
    Originally posted by Lt. Macka
    big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
      Barrel length is near enough irrelevant but you can put in a new barrel, it's just a standard AEG barrel. A tightbore does increase accuracy in practice. Assuming the front sight is bound to the barrel (different reports from different people, probably dependant on time of make) then the sight will get in the way of an eotech, but an ACOG Co-witnesses with the front sight so wouldn't be an issue.

G&G guns are all quality guns so you needn't worry but bare in mind, replacing internals is cheaper and easier than replacing externals so if there's something you prefer the look of, it's best to save for that tbh.
      From the pictures it looks like the front sight isn't detachable, but would it be possible/look ok to cut it off using precision tools? or possible to put a riser under the Holo sight to put it above the front sight?
      i would really want to go with a holo sight as i play at a cqb sight, plus i prefer the looks of an EOtech over an acog.

Comment

Cutting the front sight with a dremel or something similar might be the answer. However, it won't look too good unless you put an extended RIS on to cover it, or finish it well. You can buy risers in various heights to accompany any rail mounted optic.

Make sure you get yourself a decent EOTech replica, some of these cheap ones are beyond a joke.

Comment

You can cut it if you want as it's just excess plastic on the barrel but you could also replace it for a preferred length metal barrel. In terms of practicality though, iron sights are great so you may want to just try them and see if an eotech's really worth the trouble.
          Originally posted by Lt. Macka
          big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto View Post
            You can cut it if you want as it's just excess plastic on the barrel but you could also replace it for a preferred length metal barrel. In terms of practicality though, iron sights are great so you may want to just try them and see if an eotech's really worth the trouble.
            when you say replace it with a preferred metal barrel, i assume you mean replace the outter barrel with a new metal one? if so, how easy is this and what would i need for it

I used some iron sights on a G36C which i didnt like much as i found them to obscure targets a bit with the pin, in addition to the gun shooting about 1m left after 10m it was pretty difficult to shoot anything. I want this Eotech for a combination of aesthetics and ease of target visuals (seeing the target while shooting at it)

Originally posted by JFarrow View Post
            Cutting the front sight with a dremel or something similar might be the answer. However, it won't look too good unless you put an extended RIS on to cover it, or finish it well. You can buy risers in various heights to accompany any rail mounted optic.

Make sure you get yourself a decent EOTech replica, some of these cheap ones are beyond a joke.
            I obviously cannot link you to the one i would be getting, but its about £40 and is named: Red/Green Dot 552 Holo Holographic Tactical Scope Vision Sight (Shock & Rain Proof)
            As for the riser i am worried that it will put the Holo so high the zeroing will be miles off, or once zeroed the dot will be very low down

Comment

I payed £50 for a 552 replica with an 'EOLAD' on the side. It was a total bag of you know what. However, I think I may have just picked a bad site to get it from, as I bought an aimpoint replica from there and it was exactly the same. I'd say go for it, sounds better than the one I got. Try and get a riser that minimally impacts the position of the optics height, as my only experience with repro sights has involved them not being able to zero very well. You don't want to be throwing the thing totally off.

Comment

My brother uses an Eotech on a vfc M4 that has the standard AR triangle sight, same as the cm16. The Eotech lines up perfectly with the front sight post, almost as if it were made to co-witness (work together) with the standard AR sights.

Here is a link to an image, showing you exactly what I mean: http://dslyecxi.com/images/ar15/eote...eye_relief.jpg

Longer barrels rarely make a difference to range, unless you swap to the correct cylinder and a silencer in itself is really only a decorative piece (but if that's your style then go for it). A tightbore will make a noticeable difference but, If I were you I would get either one the same length as your original barrel or a standard M4 (363mm) and cover it with your silencer, don't go any longer than that, in my opinion.

As for the Eotech, there is nothing wrong with cheap china clones. For the distance you will be shooting and the general accuracy of an airsoft gun, getting a perfect zero is not really going to make any difference. All you want is a dot that you can place on target and be relatively sure that the bbs are going to go that way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, they really helped (especially that image from Highoctane), i'm pretty sure im going to go with the cm16 and either cut the sights or get a riser depending on how it turns out
                  Just one last question, for the price (£40) of that sight i don't know if i'm going to get one that actually projects the dot rather than just act like a reflex? i'm pretty sure it would but i'm just making sure?

Comment

By 'projecting' the dot, do you mean holographically?

Comment

thats an image on the sellers page of the sight^

Comment

As far as I'm aware. All of the copies are just standard 'reflex' type optics. Only the real things project a dot 'holographically'. However, there are people on this forum that know a far more about optics than me, so don't take my word on it

EDIT: That sight looks good enough quality for the price. It'll do its job

Comment

Originally posted by Barney626 View Post

thats an image on the sellers page of the sight^
                          Yeah, unless you are spending upwards of £300 or so you wont be getting a real 'holographic' sight, just a projected dot sight, like any airsoft red dot. They still do the job though

Edit: Also, if you plan on cutting down the front sight, why not just replace it with a gas block or a folding front sight? it would look a lot more professional and realistic, here is one example: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=8961

Comment

Ah, yeh sorry that's what i meant. re-reading what i posted it was unclear.

As for the flip up iron sights- possible but the issue is making the cut look half decent and not like....well....a cut. Just out of interest, would cutting the front sight off void the warranty?

also, is anyone familiar with any laws/restrictions on red lasers in airsoft? i found a nice unit which has a powerful torch and a smallish laser with a switch that i could put on a foregrip and was wondering if the laser was illegal or anything?

Comment

In my guess cutting the sights would void the warranty as they will blame you for tampering, even if the issue is with the gearbox and nothing to do with the sight. As far as I know red lasers are allowed in some sites because they really aren't all that dangerous for the most part, my local site allows them, however I would think that some sites likely wouldn't allow them under any circumstances. Check with your local site, that's the only way to know for sure.

I should note that changing the front sight will likely also void the warranty but I really am not sure.

Edit: Here is a good image of what you are trying to achieve: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=470784

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Barney626 Find out more about Barney626
                              Working...
                              X