Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So about these WE pistols...

Good morning all,

First I will explain. After hearing many opinions about WE pistols over the years and how they have 'changed' or 'upped there game' I have always be skeptical due to their past history and designs like the M&P that seems to have been given up on and plagued with issues.

Now I am usually one for relying on TM and shoot (for the most part) just pistols so I thought for once I will take a different approach. I will buy a WE pistol, feed it the same gas and ammo as all my other guns and see just how it fares when I take it out on games or just to play around and shoot generally. I will document it over the coming months and see just how long such a pistol lasts. I will not be nice to it and I will make it suffer as much as my battered, bruised and constantly under use TM 1911A1 that is now sporting a Series 70 body. Any time I have to change a part, something fails but it keeps on going or the magazine needs opening and re-lubing it will be pointed out, this is a test to see how the gun does, particularly after a good deal of use (given how often we all see reviews of the gun out of the box but so few after 1000's of shots and dovens of games or shoots).

With that in mind on to the pistol I have selected. It is a WE XDM 3.8 Compact. I have chosen this model as it is:

1. A design that I have heard and seen mixed reviews about, some swearing by it and others swearing at it.

2. It is a design that I like and can easily find a place for to make sure it is used often enough.

3. It has screwed mags and looks to be relatively easy to fix if / when it all goes wrong.

4. This one has been used for a few games previously so I know it is not an out of box lemon which helps.

So with the idea, the gun and a lot of spare time (when my car isn't in the smegging garage) I hope to prove to myself and others that maybe it is better to simply try for yourself and see what results you get. Might this change my opinion of WE? Maybe, but still I want to see just how 'upped' a game can be.

'FireKnife'
    68 Pistols and counting in over 8 years of airsoft.
    Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Re: So about these WE pistols...

A good way to help with this is videos. So many people say that guns shoot well. But my definition of it shooting well probably won't be the same as yours.

A metal kitted gun that cycles, but not as quickly as I can fire pull the trigger for a follow up shot, is not it shooting well in my eyes, but is in others.

Comment

Very true, I only have a basic camera at the moment but it is good enough to get shots of me shooting the pistol and short videos to show it clacking along.

'FireKnife'
      Got a spare 10mins or are bored? Check out my film reviews: http://200filmsbeforeyoudie.wordpress.com

Comment

I only run x1 pistol and switched from a TM MEU to a WE XDM. I just fancied something new.
        There was a great video review on YouTube that compared the TM and WE versions side by side.
        The WE was the clear winner, mainly on gas consumption.

I’ve had no problems with mine at all.
        TBH, it doesn’t get used too often, but has always performed flawlessly.
        h e y d r i c h
        L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

My M&P out the box cycled great, the finish was still a bit meh on the take down and slide lock, but overall I was happy. The lower is great!!

Shooting it was ok, found the hop to be very crap. Tried adjusting it, it just got jammed in place! So to turn the hop off, you had to disassemble the unit. This pissed me off, read it had a bespoke barrel and hop rubber so stuck a stock TM MEU barrel in with a TM rubber, cut the barrel down. Hop wheel locked again but in perfect position for .25's so was happy.

Then the full auto turned up.... Filed the sear down, nope still there, bit more, still there.... Bit more, ah yes sorted..... Nope still there as I shot as someone full auto run away style in game! Filed some more and put about 300 rounds down the garden, hopefully sorted now.

Out the box - pile of shit that I would never recommend to anyone who doesn't like fettling.

After the work I put in, fantastic! Until the next time it stops working lol.

Looking forward to seeing your findings mate.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Ignore my insane rambling, found that the culprit was the pin and plate that tell you it is cocked.

With them all removed the gun works, sort of, well enough to fire normally.

The months of testing is back on!

(and no, I don't expect it to break again as I am going to be positive from here on out)

'FireKnife'
            Last edited by FireKnife; 8 April, 2014, 22:57. Reason: I was wrong!!!!

Comment

I keep telling people they are shit but nobody listens...

Comment

I like the idea, but, didn't you use a second hand pistol, if so that alone makes the test results pointless.
                KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

Not really as I wanted to avoid the whole 'out of the box lemon' issues.

This is about testing a gun to see just what it can do so if it has already seen some use we know it is not a total failure. One of my other long standing GBB guns is second hand and even after the 10,000 rounds I put through it, it was still going strong without a single issue.

But yes for me to have to remove the whole back plate and pin system after only the 50rds in my care is still an issue but not as big a one as I thought.

'FireKnife'

Comment

I'm not meaning to be an ass, your basis for it was good and you wrote about it well, I just feel that using a used gun was a mistake, it's like top gear getting a secondhand car and reviewing it as a new one, saying the brakes were crap, paint was dull etc.

The idea of getting a used gun has to many variables, did the first owner look after the gun, did they fek with it, etc etc etc.

Please don't get me wrong I know you've put time and effort into this, it's just my opinion.
                    KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

I see exactly what you mean but that is the thing I am not treating this as a 'new' gun.

I planned to buy second hand as this is really a 'play until it fails' test, not a new from box.

Though when you say a used gun can have so many variable so can a new one. It is amazing the amount that are imported in only to find the magazine seals have failed or already they have chipped paint out of the box as yours was the one they tested in the batch.

I am not arguing and I do see your point but as I am also somewhat playing it off against a well used gun I have had (that was to come later as a comparison) that just keeps on going so I thought it best to also start on an equal footing with that in mind.

I do get the whole start from new idea but as I wanted to basically break this thing through use I didn't really want a new one (and this has nothing to do with the cost comparison of new to used :p).

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                      A good way to help with this is videos. So many people say that guns shoot well. But my definition of it shooting well probably won't be the same as yours.
                      Well here you go, an example video of what Ultra gas and a cool 18c room make, very crisp blowback and a good felt recoil. I will get some outdoor tests at a later date (read: weekend):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSkX...ature=youtu.be

'FireKnife'
                      Last edited by FireKnife; 8 April, 2014, 23:40.

Comment

sounds like you've already got a lemon if you've had to remove all of that section of the gun.

theres no gurantee that buying a 2nd hand gun that it will work afterall, it just means someone is clearing out their crap lol
                        Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

Ill keep an eye on this. But itd take a lot to persuade me to buy a WE gun. I saw too many of their early 1911s to ever truly trust them.

I like the XDM Compact though. I have a fullsize TM one, and wouldnt mine a smaller one as well. But as youve said, mixed reviews. Ill wait and see what happens here. I dont mind spending the money, its pennies. But i just dont want to spend it on something i think is a lemon from the outset.
                          AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

Ok, new finding.

The hop up unit can't go high enough to allow me to use .25s and Ultra to full effect.

However it does go a tad shorter (say 3-4m average) than my Marui Detonics did but given the metal slide and not exactly the best outer barrel to BBU fit (plus it is a cheaper gun all the same) I am happy with that. It is better and a lot less erratic than a few KSC and KJ guns I have used in the past.

'FireKnife'

Comment

Originally posted by bob86 View Post
                              sounds like you've already got a lemon if you've had to remove all of that section of the gun.

theres no gurantee that buying a 2nd hand gun that it will work afterall, it just means someone is clearing out their crap lol
                              its actually a well known part to fail.
                              -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                              -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

FireKnife Huge Resi Fan Find out more about FireKnife
                              Working...
                              X