anyone use a plash palatka poncho?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use a plash palatka poncho?

as title says. anyone using a plash palatka? How effective are they at keeping you dry and as camo? I just picked one up cheap and wanna use with my SVD load out. I don't think that I've seen people wearing them in airsoft. But why wouldn't you wanna wear a poncho/cape/tent?

Image here
    http://i54.tinypic.com/29fblnl.jpg

Re: anyone use a plash palatka poncho?

Like all poncho and zeltbahn items they are all right when it's wet but its an expedient. It's designed to be half of a tent, consequntly there are much better options when you need to stay hidden or dry.

If its a GPR or cold war OD one its going to be no better than Od combats as 'camouflage', it might disgusie your shape a bit but most people tend to find four square metres of green canvas doesnt really 'blend in' that well.

You will find it hot and annoying to skirmish in tbh and you'll be constantly tugging it away from your arms when shooting and it will be a nightmare to crawl in.

Great bit of kit for milsims or evetns where you might have to stay out or you're expecting showers but unless you really want 'the look' i'd just get a more dedicated sniping suit for an SVD loadout, either a KLMK or KZS for soviet era or a 'leshy' post 1991.

Comment

yup I got one spends a lot of time packed and wrapped over my shoulder for ww2 Russian outfit but wears very well camo is pretty good as mine is a kind of brown/green as long as you don't move like most camo its great, disrupts your outline very well too been just a cape it drapes over and leaves good mobility, can get caught up on thorns sometimes tho as it flaps about so snags a bit in heavy forest,recommended to use one I love mine better than a zelt I think for a sniper profile if that's what your after.

Comment

I picked one up for 500 ruble (about 8 pound) a couple of days ago and it rained on the way home and i literally had nothing else. Worked quite well- but probably looked a bit strange.
        "Being offended provides no objective indication of "right" & "wrong". It's nothing more than a barometer of your own emotional control."- Ricky Gervais

Comment

I've got one. The intention was to wear it in conjunction with my German WWII kit at urban style events. I figured that Germans would probably purloin anything they could.

Comment

Originally posted by Mwarrior84 View Post
            I recall reading somewhere that in 'Enemy at the Gates', Jude Law wore an East German zeltbahn, rather than a proper Russian plash-palatka (another aesthetic, rather than historical decision by the costume dept.?), so expect a plash to look different from your picture reference when worn.

While the large piece of material would break up your shape, I would have thought that such a large 'blob' of a single solid colour would stand out quite badly in, say, a wooded area.

Comment

No Jude is wearing a plash, just a post war one with different fittings. He is wearing it badly though, not hitching up the tail or using the arm hole.

They're pretty effective if used right as they do break up your outline well. If you're static and in a well chosen spot most people will never see you but the same can be said regardless of what wear. I've found them more effective at keeping me dry than pretty much anything other than the most modern waterproofs although being canvas they will soak through after an extended period.

Comment

I've got one for my ww2 impression, it spends most of its life wrapped around myself. Been lucky enough to never need to wear it in a skirmish however it is a decent bit of kit. I would worry about feeling hits while wearing it.
                There are probably better things to wear but for the price you can't really go wrong.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mwarrior84 Find out more about Mwarrior84
                Working...
                X