Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this...

Denizens of ZeroOne, I have a question.

Assume a certain reasonably well-known company that runs a few skirmish sites across the UK offers UKARAs amongst their regularly-attending members, as you'd expect.

Let's say a group of friends and I were entitled to apply for their UKARAs through said company after having patronised one of their sites. The site charges a rate of £35 per head for a UKARA to be processed. (Not unreasonable, though I'm aware the process is technically free. But there's always paperwork handling and whatnot.) So, nine in a skirmish group pay this fee, fill out their UKARA applications, and hand them over to the company.

Here's where the fun begins.

The 3rd of this month marked six months since the money was handed over, and not a single member of the nine has received their UKARA. The site manager and anyone else involved remains rather quiet when pushed for information, or fobs any enquiries off with snowclones of 'they should be cleared by the end of the week' no less than five individual times in the six month period.

It is at this point I ask you:

-What is the usual time you've had to wait for a UKARA to be processed once you've filled it out?
    -Did you have to pay a fee?
    -What action would you personally take in a situation such at this?
    -What action would you suggest to the people who've collectively handed over £315 to a company, only for the money to vanish into thin air with nothing to show for it? Furthermore, for your inquiries to be shrugged off repeatedly?

I realise I'm being incredibly vague and hypothetical for much of this, but the question is begging to be asked.

Would the company be at fault? Are they being lazy? Or is UKARA prone to such lapses in dilligence?

Re: Riddle me this...

The longest I've waited for my UKARA form to be processed was eight days and that included a bank holiday. I'm afraid that you have been lead up the garden path with this companies £35 charge as well, normally you just post/take to your local airsoft retailer and they will add you to the database immediately for free. It should take minutes, not months. As for your £35 admin fee I'm not sure where you stand legally with that.

Comment

I got mine done by zero one (for free) and it took 3 days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

My local site charges £10. And they hand it to the on site shop who gets it on the database. It takes 1 week for the shop to get it, then a few days to be put on after that.
        You need to pester the site as I would say they haven't passed the forms along.
        Also 6 months they may just turn around and say they don't remember it happening and you don't have much proof without receipts etc (which i doubt they gave you)

Comment

Small claims Court ;-)

Comment

All involved individuals have receipts. The payments were taken via PayPal, and we have the message recorded where the company said they'd received the money.

Comment

I would simply serve notice and see if that speeds things up if it doesn't claim your money back and change site.
              "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
              Life in the fast lane........
              sigpic

Comment

If they are so lax sorting your accreditation out makes you wonder if their Public Liability Insurance etc is up to date?

Comment

My local does it for free and trouble free and its one guy who runs it around his fairly demanding day-job, does the admin in the evening after work.
                  Whatever is going on here sounds shady as. As Johnno says, your troubles are probably only the tip of the iceberg with what is wrong with that company, whichever it is. (pity you can't name names).
                  I'd be getting my money back and then moving on.

Comment

1) yes their public liability insurance is upto date
                    2) have you checked the self check website? I ask because that's the only way I found out.
                    3) have you tried phoning? Rather than going through Facebook?
                    4) the 35 quid IS NOT for UKARA, its site membership, this gives you gameday discounts and queue priority for busy games.
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

5) do you like Sean's hat?

Comment

My new UKARA went live today - I handed in the form Thursday night last week, so two working days (Bank Holiday makes 3). I paid a £10 fee, but I gained a membership as posted above with this.

Personally, I'd check my UKARA first. UKARA Self Check (google it), and if nothing comes up, email the UKARA admin with your details, make sure there wasn't a typo on your form/in the entry chain somewhere.

Having then verified my UKARA not existing, I'd take the whole group down to a game day, NOT book on to play, and just stay until I saw the admin, wanting an explanation as to where my £35 went. If he could point to priority booking, game discounts, membership etc, and promise to get UKARA sorted, I'd then give him a grace period of two weeks to do so with no further hassle. If his response in person wasn't satisfactory, I'd ask for a refund and avoid the site in future, and then, if not receiving that, take steps to get my money back - dispute via Paypal, (may not work if you gifted the money), Small Claims Court, and so on.

Comment

Check your emails including "junk" and "spam"

Once you are on the database you will receive an automated email with confirmation. We have had a few "why isn't my UKARA sorted yet?" type of calls simply down to the fact that their confirmation email was directed out of their main inbox.

Comment

I never received an email until I did self check.
                            Wasn't in spam box or anything.
                            section 24 of the 1968 Act
                            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Self-check shows up nothing. All of them aren't on the system.
                              I've not actually contacted the Facebook. Only spoken through email or telephone. (Oh, and today we received yet another 'It'll be done by the end of the week'.)
                              A couple of those involved already were members. They were charged £35 on top of their original fee.

Like I said, it's not an issue for -me-. I've had a UKARA for ages now. What -is- an issue is nine disgruntled people coming to be saying they feel cheated.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Eden Bookworm, currently residing in the South-West. Find out more about Eden
                              Working...
                              X