Is 'Trading' Legally the Same as 'Selling?'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 'Trading' Legally the Same as 'Selling?'

Bit of an odd one, but since it is illegal to sell a RIF what is the legal position on 'trading?'

If I were to swap a RIF with someone who had a RIF, in the full knowledge that they never played airsoft and never intended to, would this legally be considered the same as selling to them?
    102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Re: Is 'Trading' Legally the Same as 'Selling?'

I think so, but if they already have an RIF I don't really see any harm in it.

Comment

If you knew they had no defence then I would think you shouldn't trade with them.
      But i'm sure the internet lawyers will be along soon and help more than I can (just my opinion)

Comment

A trade is a sale it's just using RIF as currency.
        Reformed Pacifist

Comment

By trading you are being paid for your gun with another, so yes it's covered by the VCRA and needs a defense.
          The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

Erm I'd say no.

I have no formal legal training but I think this goes against the spirit of the law if not the word.
            Originally posted by tackle
            For the haters who feel that bamf, & others, are picking on you, GROW THE FUCK UP, their actually trying to stop you destroying our sport or having even more draconian measures foisted upon us.

Comment

It is legally classed as a sale if you gain anything in return for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepperisit View Post
                ?.. i'm sure the internet lawyers will be along soon and help more than I can (just my opinion)
                See that's the problem: I'm usually one of those annoying internet lawyers!

But then this situation came up and I don't know for sure where the law stands. I assume, as has been said, that 'selling' is exchanging any goods and services for other goods and services, but I'd be interested if anyone knows for sure (and could point me in the direction of some relevant legislation).

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Someone on another forum whose opinion on legal matters I generally trust said:

Simple answer: yes, they're the same.

Long answer: When entering into a sale or trade, you're creating a contract. A contract is formed by two parties each paying the other 'consideration', this consideration can be any item of value to either party (there are other things that form a contract, but those aren't important).

So, in a normal sale, party A might offer a gun as consideration, and party B will offer currency. In a trade, the only difference is that party B changes what their consideration physically is to goods or services instead of currency.

Hope that makes sense...
                  Seems right to me!

Comment

Above is bang on.

Comment

The answer is yes, in the eyes of the law, receiving ANY valuable consideration (whether it's another gun, cash, a blow job, replastering your lounge) in return for a RIF is classed as selling.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Longshot Find out more about Longshot
                      Working...
                      X