Buying without UKARA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying without UKARA

Yeah i mean as i stated much earlier in the thread, they are all told when possible about the 're-enactor' defence.. but a lot of the guys don't want to do living history, they want to do WWII airsoft.. and this is where the system fails.

The WWII airsoft scene is pretty big. Most of the guys on it are people who got fed up with cheating, open day 'get the flag' games and the like. Those guys either got their kit and did their 'regular site' thing pre VCRA and are now finding they have to go back and do three games they will hate *or* its composed of guys who have seen it in mags and video and want to get involved but *can't* unless they do open days they dont want to do. A proportion come from re-enacting and they are ok but its a massive faff for a lot of people.

Like i've said no decent re-enactment group is going to let you join so you can go off and do WWII airsoft, they will expect you to do living history events with them.. they are not there to provide you with an excuse.

Now there are *some* sites that hold WWII, Nam, Cold War events and you might be lucky in that you play at that 'collection of sites' (i cant name competitors but you know who i mean the two biggest chains of sites in the UK) but if you're not part of that then you do what 90 per cent of people on the WWII forums do and travel from site to site.

Most independant organisers of WWII games don't use the same site twice a year, let alone three times as they pick the site to reflect the nature of the battle they are doing... for example I want to run 'the battle for crete' so i pick UCAP sandpit, hire it out, run my game.. if i want to 'Hurtgen Forest' in three months time i'm not going to do it at the sandpit or UCAPs tunnel site am I? I'm going to have to hire a woodland site, perhaps Ground Zero.. you get my point.

It simply DOES NOT WORK for hundreds of people, i'm glad you're Ok with it but for a lot of people it's farcical.

Imagine if i told you that to go to your local site you first had to go to two 'boer war weekend milsims'?

I imagine you'd have little interest in that and would be pissed off if you had to spend £70 quid going to both of them and four days of your time playing a version of the game you had zero interest in just to be allowed to buy a gun to go to an open day you *did* want to play at with.

- - - Updated - - -

My friend Matt is a perfect case.

Matt doesnt mind the odd open day for a stag do but they bore him after that...

He does like the game 'fallout' and wanted to go to a fallout themed airsoft event, he had to borrow guns as the fallout event is ran every six months.

He was lucky in that we also went to a wild west event (where he used a larp bow) ran on a different site by the same group of sites 'chain' and so at the second event he'd played three times with that 'group of sites' in a year... so eventually he's ok to buy but its *long* process and you need to be lucky in that the events you want to attend are at the same place or in the same chain. If the wild west event had of been with someones elses group of sites he'd have been stuffed

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

AK_dog Find out more about AK_dog
    Working...
    X