Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui M&P 9 Review

Tokyo Marui M&P 9

Well its arrived. I've never done a review before so please bear with me and be gentle, I've tried to cover as much as I can but I'm sure I've missed something! This is just my first impressions with the pistol along with some photos, I will keep adding to the thread as I use the pistol and I get some mileage on it.

Unboxing

The box is your standard new generation TM box. Nice glossy picture of the pistol inside with promotional jargon splashed on the front. Inside you'll find the manual with parts diagram in Japanese, targets, safety instructions, 2 spare back straps, small pouch of bbs, unjamming rod, spare magazine followers, barrel plug, the magazine and of course the pistol itself. Standard stuff from TM really, the box holds the pistol nice and securely.

The Pistol

As soon as you pick the pistol up you get an instant satisfaction. There is absolutely no wobble at all, I mean NONE, I've never come across this in any other pistol before which is nice. Without the magazine its quite light but after installing the magazine it becomes very nicely balanced and has a really nice weight to it. Comparing it to my WE model, I'm already sold but I'm sure most of you could've come to that conclusion yourselves.

The frame of the pistol is quite smooth with little texture on the upper at least, the lower portion of the pistol grip has a defined line where the texture increases, I would assume to increase grip levels. I don't know if this is true to the RS model but I didn't notice it on my WE before I painted it. There are some reasonably noticeable seam lines but nothing outrageous, they're neat and even which is something at least.

The slide has a nice finish to it and seems to be made with good quality materials. The trades are fantastic and very crisp. Can't ask for more there, the sights are well moulded and have nice crisp white dots in the usual places for aiming.

The rubber back strap is really nicely moulded with a very faint seam line but nothing noticeable unless you really look for it. They seem pretty flimsy compared to the WE model but you can't tell as soon as you install them onto the pistol. For now the WE back straps aren't interchangeable but I think from looking at them it'd be fairly easy to mod them to fit if you wanted to for any reason.

The ambidextrous slide catch is nice and there is no movement between the two. I find it's a little hard to get to as my thumb catches the safety but that'll just take a bit of getting used to.

The safety switch has a nice positive click to it and is of a very nice size that it doesn't get in the way at all and is very comfortable to use. I have heard rumours on it being possible to remove it and not affect the overall function of the pistol but I couldn't comment on that, I have no intention to remove it myself.

The whole pistol feels solid and as I said before, rattles are non existent.

Inserting the magazine is very solid and smooth with a satisfying clunk as the mag clicks into place. There is no wobble with the magazine inserted and the weight and balance of the magazine improves. Removing the magazine is a little stiff I will admit and as the magazine sits flush to the grip I would imagine it could be quite difficult to remove with gloves on. They definitely don't just drop out, personally I like that, saves some broken base plates! The mag catch is again a little stiff but nothing to really write home about.

I've not had a chance to handle the VFC version so I can't comment on that personally but from watching reviews of that and personally owning a WE M&P I can say that for me this is an absolutely superb replica.

The Technical Stuff

The biggest selling point for me was that it's TM and I expect fantastic performance from a TM pistol. To be honest this has more than met my expectations.

On racking the slide the first impression is that its a little stiff which concerned me a little. I don't know if this will ease up over use, only time will tell. It seems reasonably well lubed up, nothing that drew concern so I presumed it wouldn't be an issue. Interestingly the action of the slide eases up considerably after the first rack with the hammer to the rear, obviously as the slide is not catching the hammer each time. I'll keep the thread updated on how smooth the action becomes over time, fingers crossed it'll improve otherwise I might have to take a look into it. After racking the slide a few times I did notice some wear already occurring on the barrel, I don't know if that was originally there when the pistol arrived as I didn't notice, but I will keep an eye on it see how it progressed.

Internally it looks like the pistol is similar to the Glock 17 in my eyes but someone might be able to give some more detail.

The parts look like they're cast nicely with some even seam lines again. The hammer spring seems strong and crisp which is nice. As I said they look very similar to the internals of a G17, after a couple of mags through the pistol there seems to be little if any wear which is nice, again I will update the thread as I go!

The Hop unit is quite interesting, the same as their new design implemented on the PX4 and HK45. The adjustment cogs are external and the hop tensioner is also quite unique. Apparently these are compatible with standard TM upgrades barrel and hop wise so no issue there but as I don't want to spoil TMs "magic" I wont be touching them until issues arise if ever.

The slide seems to have the standard strengthening you would expect from new TM pistols with the metal plate around the slide catch areas, only time will tell how it fares!

Shooting

Shooting is a dream put simply. Just as you would expect from a TM pistol. Its fantastically snappy on propane and the pistol had absolutely no issue cycling at all which was a relief after my concern with the stiffness.

I didn't actually count how many bbs the magazine holds but it is similar to a Glock 17 I would say.

Filling the magazine with gas and bbs is your usual affair as with any other TM mag. Put it into the pistol with the nice solid clunk, rack the slide and you're good to do.

Pulling the trigger is very nice and crisp with a good reset and it doesnt feel sloppy at all, something I felt was a big con with the WE version. The slide jumps into life instantly with a brilliantly crisp kick and returns snappily to battery. It feels very very similar to a Hi-Capa in terms of kick, it really does bring a smile to your face.

Accuracy and range is fantastic. It happily shot 15-20m in my garden with brilliant groupings using a .3g bb. After each shot the slide had returned ready for the next shot quicker than I could pull the trigger, it brings a massive smile to your face! The sights are very easy to use and are the usual 3 dot style making target accusation very easy and quick.

Mine was chronoing at around 290fps on propane which was more than acceptable for a stock TM pistol, I don't see it needs any more for now, though no doubt I will eventually try to crank it up once more upgrade parts become available!

Conclusion

Overall I think this is an absolutely lovely pistol. It has met and exceeded my expectations and I really couldn't ask for more. Only time will tell how it fares with some mileage on it but I am expecting standard TM reliability to be honest. I want to try and keep this as stock as possible for as long as possible.

I bought this as I have loved the M&P since I first saw one and whilst the WE was a reasonable compromise in looks it didn't hold a candle to my expectations in performance. This has replaced my WE and fits in the kydex holster I had made for it perfectly so I would hope the dimensions are pretty much identical with the exception of the added safety catch. Unfortunately I don't have my WE M&P here with me at the moment so can't make a direct comparison but to be honest, I don't think it's needed. This really is in a completely different ball park.

9/10 for this pistol overall I would say simply due to the stiffness of the slide and magazine catch. I'm sure they will wear in over time and it'll likely gravitate closer to the 10/10 as time goes on. If you want one. Don't hesitate to buy one! It's fantastic, I just NEED more mags!

Re: Tokyo Marui M&P 9 Review

Very good review indeed.

All your points are valid - as I had the same impressions with mine that I've been assessing this evening. It is a little stiff to rack but I reckon this will improve in time.

The internals are very G17 like - which is great if you are familiar with that style (pretty simple). Only thing I would have preferred is a little but more weight in the pistol as it does feel a little light - even with the mag in.

Comment

I found if you clear all the TM grease out and put something a bit thinner on it eases up quite a lot. A couple of drops of Guarder silicone oil on the hammer/trigger mech and a quick spray of silicone oil around the nozzle area did it for me!

A little more weight would've been nice you're right but to be honest it's not much different from a stock TM G17 really.. so not the end of the world.. Its perfectly acceptable to me really. A new frame without the TM crud on it is all I want for it right now. And possibly a metal slide in titanium but that'll be a while off I think!

Comment

Very nice, any idea if the WE magazines are compatible with this at all? And, for that matter, the SAI aftermarket slide sets?

Ive always liked TM pistols in the past, but this is the first time I've exclusively run a WE one instead. May look at swapping it over...

But thank you for the review!
        sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

I doubt they will be compatible at all as WE tends to copy Marui stuff. Shame really as that will mean there will be 3 different (relatively new) versions of the M&P knocking about.

Comment

That was what I was wondering, I know WE mags fit in some other TM models, but maybe not here.
            sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

WE parts do not fit , It was the first thing I tried when they came in

- - - Updated - - -

WE parts do not fit , It was the first thing I tried when they came in

Comment

Absolutely no compatibility for cross over at all. The mag doesnt seat and is at a different angle in the grip, the slide wont go on and the internals are different sizes etc. They look similar but the nozzle is wrong as is the hammer mech slightly..

Youre looking at getting new mags, new gat and a new slide if you want to make the cross over im afraid pal!

Comment

I wonder which one is more accurate to the real thing?

Comment

As soon as an SAI slide and barrel set is released....there will be movement in my trousers
                    “A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fitch View Post
                      I wonder which one is more accurate to the real thing?
                      To be honest, for the most part you're probably looking at the WE or VFC with the gucci external kits added.. The TM has the slide safety which whilst present in RS isn't as common. Performance however will be heavily in TMs favour I would expect.

Comment

Is it true that the M&P runs green gas? Seems unusual for TM..

Comment

All TM run on green gas perfectly well. It's a myth that should be eradicated. Unless you're using it on a really hot day you arent going to see any damage. There are so many threads on TMs + Green.. its been done to death and noone will agree. Myself and MANY others have run glocks, hicapas, p226s and PX4 amongst many others on green gas/propane for years with absolutely no issues at all.

Comment

So, nearly two months on - what do we think of these M&Ps? I'm fighting between one of these or the TM HK45, convince me the M&P is the way to go!

Comment

Had the same dilemma myself, preferred the looks of the HK 45 so went for that option and not disappointed, fires great fairly accurate at distance and the new extra crispy blowback is awesome, sure the M&P9 will perform just as well so in the end it may come down to which pistol you prefer the look of..

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Delta Sup fool Find out more about Delta
                              Working...
                              X