Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Ferguson Cop. ID something on his rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson Cop. ID something on his rifle.

Just saw this guy on Sky news,

Wondered if anyone had a better guess than me as to whats mounted on the top of his rifle?

Looks to me like a torch, but he has one underneath.

I only ask because it's clearly obscuring his foresight and unless it's a scope how does he take an aimed shot?

Re: Ferguson Cop. ID something on his rifle.

It's an aim point. He's just gone for mounting it far forward

Comment

Of course it is! Odd place to put it

Comment

tbh with whats happening in ferguson right now, it'd be the least of their worries.

and not odd at all. further forward means that it's obscuring less of his vision
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Yeah, wasn't commenting on the politics of the situation.

Looking at it. I'm not sure he'd see a whole lot through it, looks like the carry handle is in the way.

Comment

try it, it works alright. i imagine its simply a way of having a dot to aim with through the rear sight than nothing. red dots should always be co witnessed.

Comment

I'll give it a go!

As they say, if it seems stupid but works, it's not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
                red dots should always be co witnessed.
                Who told you that? :S

Comment

no-one, but most are designed to be a replacement for a single sight. so you should still a have one iron.

Comment

Not really, If it were to just replace the rear sight, it would be an almost redundant product.

Its better designed to be a clearer picture around a target. So you can see under what you're aiming at, and to the sides, without a massive post in the way, as well as being good for night/dark time shooting.

Whilst some like to have them set in line with the iron sights, its definitely not something that should be strictly adhered to

Comment

The human eye can only focus on one thing at a time, with iron sights, rear sight- foresight -centre of mass, three things to focus on and through. With a red dot sight, dot -centre of mass, eliminates an extra point to focus on, thus quicker target acquisition as well as ease of maintaining sight on target. With x1 red dot, you also get less tunnel vision as you have more peripheral awareness as both eyes are open. (range of engagement dependent)

As Km said, it looks like the carry handle would be in the way...

Comment

Having never mounted a red dot that far foward, I can only guess but surely it must take longer to aquire a sight picture through a 30mm hole nearly a metre from your eye?

As an aside...at least his rifle matches his shirt.

Comment

And a gS mask

Comment

ive had my sight mounted like that on my m635 and it works fine. remember, a reddot isnt meant for you to use like a scope, its designed to put a red dot in your field of vision and that tells you where the rifle is pointed to allow faster shooting.

having a scope that far away would cause probs with eye relief sure, but that actually helps on reddots.

as long as you have your head looking down the barrel, the red dot will be in your vision.

and only cheap airsoft reddots would need to be cowitnessed as they suffer from paralax, but the proper sights are fine, if you can see the dot, it will be in the same place, although it is good practice to still get your cheek in the same place etc....

as for the sights being in the way, when i mounted mine, it tied in well with the irons, not sure what his mounting height would be, but it looks about the same as his irons.... plus the lower to the barrel it is, the less he'd need to allow for shorter or longer range shots from the distance at which the sight is sighted in to....
                            Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

@bob86 not sure why you think only cheap red dots would suffer with parallax but here's a good read for you on the subject (and anyone else who's interested) http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm also there's was a discussion on ar15 forum on the subject and the outcome seemed to be it's only really going to be a slight issue if you're head/eyeline is really out of place.

As for the carry handle blocking the sight most (if not all) the mounting options for the Aimpoint comp2 (which is what he seems to have) are set so should the optic go down irons can be used without the need to mess around removing hardware.
                              Catch me on Instagram @Weaponhit_Robson

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

km2339 Find out more about km2339
                              Working...
                              X