Own Gun Project Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own Gun Project Build

For those not familiar with the Owen Gun it was known as the Australian Sten ,it was initially turned down as the prototype was in 0.22 and there was no need for it but as WW2 progressed it was re visited and a 9mm version went into production .It had a far better reputation than the Sten for reliability probably due the the vertical top mounted magazine feeding better .The basis for this build is an AGM mk2 Sten for internals , the hop being modified for vertical feed ,all the externals to be custom made in steel and aluminium .So far the hop has been modified and the main body of the gun cut to fit the gearbox ,a mounting sleeve to fit the gearbox accurately into the gun in good alignment , the outer barrel extended ,although i have made a flashhider/compensater to the dimensions i was given it looks too short in my eye so i hope to replace it .

Oh this is probably as good as notice that Dadio is doing what Dadio does again.

Re: Own Gun Project Build

revised compesater ,looks a lot better .
    mk1 and mk2 compensater.
    [URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF2848_zps879fe9c8.jpg.html][/URL

the compensater (flash hider for you modern folt) is held by modern m14 fine left hand thread so it could have any modern flash hider fitted , the original design with the slot's to the top directed some of the muzzle flash upward to counter the natural tendency for the muzzle to climb with each shot .

Comment

Another good build as always dadio

Comment

We decided to go for a variant possibly the MK2 with cooling fins above the forward hand grip and that's what today's task was ,I'm not sure but I might reduce the diameter of the forward fins a little more , so hard to judge without a full schematic ,it all has to be done by eye ,best method is to take a picture and then compare to pictures of the real gun or find one accurate measurement then measure and extrapolate from pictures but even then inaccuracy's can build up , hey ho and on we go .

Comment

Is google not your friend with any images of a mk2?
          As for doing it by eye, I think its not far off chap.
          Although you have it so the fins slow drop as it goes. But if you look at the reference pic. It looks like they are all one size apart from the last fin that is bigger.

Comment

just rectified the fin size and it loos a lot better , may try and slim down the fin's if i can as now they look too wide ,as it is the fin's and gap's are both 3.5mm but it look's like the gap's are wider and fins narrower but it might be tricky now as there's not much to hold it by.

Comment

Happy now.

Comment

Here is some pics I found of the finned section, hope this helps chap

Last edited by Darkmikey22; 22 November, 2014, 22:11.

Comment

Nice pictures thank's ,the top one I already have but the other one's nice and gives a clear view of the front sight as well ,I've found it hard to get good shots of the front sight .

Comment

No worries chap, I have the rest of that picture if need be as was only zoomed in on the front section.
                    If need be just use google images and put in "Australian owen gun" and comes up with quite a few good pictures.

Comment

Well today i have started on the barrel release catch , it's the part in front of the receiver on the top of the gun , basically pull the nob up to release the front barrel assembly on the real gun , well it's going to work the same way on this one , pull the nob up and the barrel and hop assembly can be removed , not only is it cool to be able to field strip but also useful for servicing the hop and cleaning the barrel , its basically a spring loaded plunger that links the gun body to the hop assembly , i still have to make the knurled nob and weld the outer cylinder onto the gun , it will be fully strip able ,only the outer cylinder is welded in place but the plunger and spring can be removed from within the gun even after welding .

I've also finalised the design for the mag release catch , instead of the traditional position on the mag for the catch I'm going to use a vertical slot on one of the narrow sides of the mag for the catch to mate with , I measured on both the AGM and King arms magazines and the slot is positioned exactly the same on both types so after the barrel catch is done it's onto the receiver .

Comment

Barrel catch finished and welded into place and the weld blended ,this whole gun will be blue'd rather than painted to there's no hiding anything under the paint , the barrel and hop assemble are a good tight fit and the catch hold's it into place with only the slightest movement detectable .

I'm also going to reduce the width of the alloy hop assembly that is visible between the finned section and the main gun body ,it's part of the sten hop mounting assembly and the barrel is threaded into it but i can shorten it a few mm without issue and it will look heap's better .

Comment

Bloody good job on that weld chap, can't wait to see how good a job you do on the mag well.

Comment

started the mag well '

Comment

mag well and catch finished , its just resting in place in the picture not yet welded on , when i welded the barrel catch in place the steel tube deformed as the weld cooled and contracted and i want to avoid this happening again so I'm going to tern up a solid ally rod to fit inside the tube while welding ,although it will stick in place and need hammering out i hope it helps maintain the tubes shape ,I'll tack it in place with all the internals in place and a mag fitted ,then strip it and fit the ally rod inside while i weld it more structurally .

i'll lose the cross head screws before its finished.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dadio Find out more about dadio
                              Working...
                              X