Own Gun Project Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Own Gun Project Build

Well it's on and the catch adjusted , no significant warping of the tube , it might not look much yet but it's now a fully functioning airsoft gun and she feed's perfectly

Comment

loving it
      Last edited by Darkmikey22; 3 December, 2014, 21:15.

Comment

Comment

re bridged part of the receiver tube , it's subtly lower than the rest of the tube to give gearbox clearance , you can barely tell because it butts up against the lower receiver but it had to be there to describe the rear of the ejection port and to fit the front trigger guard mount.

it's a shame but there's no way of hiding the gearbox in the ejection port but once the gearbox and mount are blacked it won't be quite so glaring.

Comment

Comment

the trigger mechanism is now working ,the trigger itself obviously need's shaping , electrically its very simple just using the steel trigger to make the contact ,it's primitive but lifted straight out of the stem and the sten used a pot metal trigger to make the contact , i may place a copper strip on the trigger at a later date .

Comment

trigger trigger shaped.

Comment

trigger guard

Comment

started on the pistol grip's , woods not my strong point really ,needs to be rounded off more at the bottom yet but its a good start .

Comment

front grip mounted but still only roughed out , feels good to hold now.

Comment

i got a bit more done over the last few days ,reinforced the rear of the lower receiver to be strong enough for the stock to locate , the sides are only 1mm thick and that's fine but the stock will exert quite a bit of force especially if you fell on the gun so i internally plated it with 3mm steel on the sides , the bottom is already 3mm thick as is a top section internally so it should stand up to the rough and tumble .Also made the front sight and welded it to the compensator (flash hider) .did a couple of pieces of oil quenching ,the sight/compensator and the trigger guard .Finally seeing some part's being finished ,just the stock , rear sight,end cap ,cocking handle and cocking handle slot and the sling points and she's done .

Comment

Hey dadio, I am loving this so far.

Anyway I have a few more bits for you.
                          If you already know these then I do apologise.

Firstly if you ever come to use a sling on it, they actually use Enfield rifle slings.
                          Secondly I have found out what the stamps/trades are on the body. (that's if your wanting to do them)
                          There will be stampings between the trigger grip and cocking lever on the right hand side, they will read:

OWEN 9MM MK1-42
                          LYSAGHT PK. AUSTRALIA
                          PAT. PENDING

The top row is obvious and the 42 is year of production.
                          The lower numbers are the guns serial number, you will also find it stamped along the top of the gun, directly above the cocking lever.
                          There is on some guns a letter "C" stamped on the right hand side just before the stock.

Hope this helps chap.

Comment

thank's that's another nice picture , unfortunately it's going to be hard to do trades in that place as its only 1mm thick and unsupported so it would deform badly ,the picture has reminded me to place a do-dad under the lower receiver ,think its a bolt lock button ,clearly seen behind the pistol grip .stamping trades always makes me nervous as i'm dyslexic and it's kind of permanent if i cock it up .
                            anyway today's update , rear sight made and fitted and the slot for the cocking handle cut , that makes the upper receiver finished so it got the hot oil dunk .though i say it myself it's starting to look real pretty ,too dark now its in one piece to do a test on the accuracy of the sights so fingers crossed for tomorrow .

Comment

If you were to put a metal block inside that bit the same size as the internal diameter, then won't deform it when stamped. Plus let someone else stamp it for you, would be a nice little touch

Other thing is too, the ejection port. With the gearbox showing, could you not round the edges off slightly, then spray it black. I know they didn't have port covers, but you could do it to pass it off as one?

And the nut is the housing bolt for the lower section.

Comment

I was planning on cleaning up the exposed gearbox area ,polishing it and chemically blacking it ,it can't be hidden but as you suggested it can be made to look like it belong's there ,it's the only thing that I can do ,I was never leaving it as plain ally finish ,fortunatly as compromises go it is under the gun where it won't draw the eye so long as it's coloured appropriately ,unless you are a mainstream manufacturer with the budget to develops a new gearbox then compromises have to be made ,it's just a matter of where and how much without ruining the end result ,it's where you have to be part artist ,part designer .

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dadio Find out more about dadio
                                Working...
                                X