WE M&P "Big Bird" First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE M&P "Big Bird" First Impressions

I bought the WE M&P with the idea of using it for race/practical style shooting and the odd skirmish, unfortunately I have yet to obtain a UKARA number so I went for the blue polymer frame version.

big bird 1.jpg

big bird 2.jpg

big nird 3.jpg

First Impression

When I received the package I eagerly cut away at the surrounding packaging to find a box with a couple of toucans on it. I lifted the lid and inside sat the M&P two spare black back straps and 3 pink back straps. The Back straps are super easy to swap out, you rotate a pin pull it out ease the back strap out with a nail and then do the same in reverse to apply a new one. I have small hands and found the small one to be the best fit for me, the medium and the large ones have much more of a palm swell. A couple of things I noticed when I compared it to my KWA KP8C was the grip, the angle is almost identical but the extended beaver tail on the M&P really makes getting high up on the gun easy and comfortable the added benefit of the low bore axis is recoil control, not that you need it much. Racking the slide revealed for me a slightly wobbly outer barrel, after shooting this is no problem as it locks up tight when the slide is forward. The Metal slide feels like it is finished very well with a matt black finishing which is grippy. The slide serrations are the nicest I have used on a pistol they give a really positive grip making racking the slide easy. I found the gun very easy to point and I could get the Novak style sights on target very easily. The sights are quite hard to make out in slightly lower light compared to the stark whiteness of my KWA KP8C sights, nothing a bit of paint cant fix though. I found the mag release to be very easy to use, I use the middle finger to press it rather than thumb but had no problem doing either. The details on the gun are nice and even though there are no trades other than WE trades it still looks the part (even though mine is blue). The magazines just feel like they are lacking quality, from the baseplate to the follower to the lips, all feel rather fragile.

big nird 4.jpg

big bird 5.jpg

First Shots

I did some dry fire practice as I couldn't shoot it straight away, the trigger is nice and crisp you don't even notice the hinged part. after a couple of nights of dry firing I got to move outside on to some steel target I had made, I was shooting between 3-6 meters or 9 feet up to 18 feet. Not a lot of distance so I didn't even bother to adjust the hop up. After the first few shots I knew the sights where pretty on and I had no problem hitting 4" X 6" targets with consistency at 18 feet. I then started to pick up the pace and put maybe 6-8 mags through the gun before I ran in to my first problem with the gun.... Full auto (See Below). After I solved that problem I was back out and shooting putting mag after mag on to the steel, There where a few user caused malfunctions but other than that the gun performed very well and consistently. The Cheap feeling mags performed pretty well occasionally getting me 2 and a half to 3 mags through the gun and consistently giving me 2 mags on Nuprol Green Gas, temperature was about 12 degrees and the gun never stopped or vented even after rapid firing. The only thing I did to the gun during my initial firing phase was to add some silicon lube to some seals but that is all. I think I will be buying some co2 mags to see what I can get out of them.

Problems

Good old full auto reared its ugly head, as said before it occurred after about 6-8 mags. The striker wasn't being pushed down far enough to allow it to engage with the sear so you get either full auto or just a dead trigger, luckily I knew this was a problem with the guns and I felt I could fix it. After one watch of a youtube video I had the sear out of the gun and filed to the correct distance, the gun was functioning as it should in less than 10 minutes of the problem occurring, if you have even the slightest amount of technical ability you will be able to do this job! While I had the striker housing out I decided to inspect it, the screws used are not the greatest quality and I imagine they would be easily rounded, the housing itself is made of cheap cast metal but it all fits together very well and mould lines didn't affect performance.

The only other fault/malfunction was caused by me and my grip, Either my rear thumb was catching the slide slowing it down and not allowing the gun to go in to full battery and therefore not firing. The other problem was my forward thumb was resting on the 226 style take down lever and I would occasionally end up pushing it down slowing the slide down enough to stop it loading the next round.

An easy way to diagnose the full auto/Dead trigger problem!
    bognird 6.jpg
    As you can see in the image above, the sliver bearing which allows the slide to reset the striker is level with the rails. if it falls bellow the rails it is likely that the sear will not engage with the striker therefore giving you the dead trigger or full auto, filling the sear will bring the bearing up and hopefully in line with the rails.

Can anyone tell me what Serpa Style holsters will hold this gun?

If anyone is looking for an M&P the WE version is a good affordable version that may need a bit of work, I will update this review after I have used the gun for a while to test for longevity.

J
    Attached Files

Re: WE M&P "Big Bird" First Impressions

Holsters wise the M&P will fit in 99% of holsters made for glock 17 as the key dimensions are the same . IMI do make a M&P holster that of course fits perfectly .

We made enlarged roller bearings to fix the full auto issue on any of our M&Ps

Comment

Thanks for the info, it is just an hour too late haha. I have instead gone for a Fobus passive retention holster and a HSGI taco for my mags.

That is a much more elegant solution, if it wasn't too difficult to do you should make a tutorial.

Have you ever ran any co2 mags through the M&P?

J

Comment

M&P copes with C02 just fine. Get on average 2-3 magazines worth of BBs to a single C02 bulb. The bulbs can be trick to get out the magazine once they are empty though (and when I say tricky, sometimes they are nie on impossible to). The bulb screw they come with as standard is made of chess and will just get destroyed very quickly, but RA Tech make steel ones which can be picked up for a few £, well worth it! The C02 mags are a fraction longer than the normal gas ones, but they provide an extended grip cover with each mag so they sit flush with the base of the pistol grip.

And on average, 320/330 FPS on the C02. No valves needed or anything, and the nozzle seems fine, no expedited wear on it or anything.
        sigpic

Currently rocking: Tokyo Marui 416D Recoil Shock and a Tokyo Marui HK45 w/SureFire X300

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

j_pope Find out more about j_pope
        Working...
        X